Notifications
Clear all

Isotretinoin. I'm about to start a low-dose long-term regimen.

MemberMember
(@davejtrgmail-com)

Posted : 07/21/2021 9:26 pm

I'm about to start a low-dose long-term treatment. I have completed 3 courses in the past (80mg a day). Oily skin and acne and large pores keep returning.

Any of y'all currently on a maintenance program? How is it going?

MemberMember
(@jorgeantoniocalderon40gmail-com)

Posted : 07/24/2021 1:38 pm

four rounds wouldn't that be much? Try to cure acne with diet and exercise. Apparently you are resistant to isotretinoin but I think you could be overloading your body with accutane a lot, for something your acne has not disappeared.

In any case, you can perform hormonal tests or other aspects of analysis that show that it is causing your acne.

If you do, try to follow a demanding regimen to avoid acne, good luck in your fourth round !!

MemberMember
(@elainea)

Posted : 07/24/2021 7:37 pm

On 7/21/2021 at 9:26 PM, DaveJTR said:

I'm about to start a low-dose long-term treatment. I have completed 3 courses in the past (80mg a day). Oily skin and acne and large pores keep returning.

Any of y'all currently on a maintenance program? How is it going?

Due to the potential for serious side effects fromAccutane/Isotretinoin, there are 2 other possibilities you should get tested for before starting a long term treatment with that drug.

Did the doctors test you for microscopic demodex skin mite overpopulation? If not, get them to test you before starting a long term regimen with Accutane/Isotretinoin. Large blackheads (large pores) are a major sign of a demodex overpopulation. Demodex mites eat skin oil and possibly skin cells. Accutane/Isotretinoincan appear to make your skin better while taking the drugsince it greatly reduces oil output. Reducing the oil, starves the mite population down. But Accutane/Isotretinoin doesn't directly kill the mites. It just treats the symptoms, it doesn't cure the disease.After you stop taking the Accutane/Isotretinoin the mite population can rebound and the skin problems return. That situation happened to the patient in the following medical study. 2 once a week doses of Oral Ivermectin solved his issue.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5489393/

In many cases the demodex get overpopulated due to Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)which suppresses something in the immune system that controls the demodex skin mites population. In that case, adding an antibiotic that is effective against SIBO can also clear the issue up in just 2 weeks. Oral Metronidazole and Rifaximin have been used successfully to clear people with SIBO. Choice of antibiotic depends on which bacteria is causing the overgrowth. An endoscope test can collect a sample of fluid to test for the specific bacteria. Rosacea Subtype 2 with papules and pustules is frequently misdiagnosed as bacterial acne. It is the diagnosis if demodex skin mites are overpopulated. Rosacea Subtype 2 also very frequently coexists with SIBO. Here are 2 medical study papers discussing treatment for demodex and Rosacea with SIBO. First paper studied takingOral Ivermectin vs. a combined treatment with Oral Ivermectin + Oral Metronidazole. The combined treatment is the one that worked for me after having been misdiagnosed with bacterial acne for decades. It uses 2 inexpensive, generic drugs. Cost was just $13.03 with drug insurance copay. The right treatment cured mein 2 weeks.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S120197121201315X

The second medical study paper discusses treating Rosacea and SIBO with the expensive antibiotic Rifaximin. Only problem with this study is that they just used that one antibiotic without testing each patient for the bacteria causing their SIBO. Rifaximin is great against E. Coli but not effective against other types of bacteria known to cause SIBO.

https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(12)02330-4/fulltext

As the previous response suggested, if demodex is not the problem, thenget your hormone levels tested to determine if that is the underlying cause of your skin condition.

It is crucial to eat a healthy, well balanced diet, low in sugar. Taking Probiotics or eating food high is probiotics can also be very helpful.

MemberMember
(@davejtrgmail-com)

Posted : 07/24/2021 10:42 pm

9 hours ago, george20 said:

four rounds wouldn't that be much? Try to cure acne with diet and exercise. Apparently you are resistant to isotretinoin but I think you could be overloading your body with accutane a lot, for something your acne has not disappeared.

In any case, you can perform hormonal tests or other aspects of analysis that show that it is causing your acne.

If you do, try to follow a demanding regimen to avoid acne, good luck in your fourth round !!

I took Accutane 17 years ago, 10 years ago, and now 1 month ago. Ihave never had a hormonal test done. That could be it. I just know my face leaks oil constantly.

I exercise every (other) day by running and eat very healthy.

I think Im just part of the low percentile that needs it long term.

3 hours ago, ElaineA said:

Due to the potential for serious side effects fromAccutane/Isotretinoin, there are 2 other possibilities you should get tested for before starting a long term treatment with that drug.

Did the doctors test you for microscopic demodex skin mite overpopulation? If not, get them to test you before starting a long term regimen with Accutane/Isotretinoin. Large blackheads (large pores) are a major sign of a demodex overpopulation. Demodex mites eat skin oil and possibly skin cells. Accutane/Isotretinoincan appear to make your skin better while taking the drugsince it greatly reduces oil output. Reducing the oil, starves the mite population down. But Accutane/Isotretinoin doesn't directly kill the mites. It just treats the symptoms, it doesn't cure the disease.After you stop taking the Accutane/Isotretinoin the mite population can rebound and the skin problems return. That situation happened to the patient in the following medical study. 2 once a week doses of Oral Ivermectin solved his issue.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5489393/

In many cases the demodex get overpopulated due to Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)which suppresses something in the immune system that controls the demodex skin mites population. In that case, adding an antibiotic that is effective against SIBO can also clear the issue up in just 2 weeks. Oral Metronidazole and Rifaximin have been used successfully to clear people with SIBO. Choice of antibiotic depends on which bacteria is causing the overgrowth. An endoscope test can collect a sample of fluid to test for the specific bacteria. Rosacea Subtype 2 with papules and pustules is frequently misdiagnosed as bacterial acne. It is the diagnosis if demodex skin mites are overpopulated. Rosacea Subtype 2 also very frequently coexists with SIBO. Here are 2 medical study papers discussing treatment for demodex and Rosacea with SIBO. First paper studied takingOral Ivermectin vs. a combined treatment with Oral Ivermectin + Oral Metronidazole. The combined treatment is the one that worked for me after having been misdiagnosed with bacterial acne for decades. It uses 2 inexpensive, generic drugs. Cost was just $13.03 with drug insurance copay. The right treatment cured mein 2 weeks.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S120197121201315X

The second medical study paper discusses treating Rosacea and SIBO with the expensive antibiotic Rifaximin. Only problem with this study is that they just used that one antibiotic without testing each patient for the bacteria causing their SIBO. Rifaximin is great against E. Coli but not effective against other types of bacteria known to cause SIBO.

https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(12)02330-4/fulltext

As the previous response suggested, if demodex is not the problem, thenget your hormone levels tested to determine if that is the underlying cause of your skin condition.

It is crucial to eat a healthy, well balanced diet, low in sugar. Taking Probiotics or eating food high is probiotics can also be very helpful.

Oh wow. Thats really interesting. Im gonna do some research on that.

I heard long-term studies at lower doses were okay so long as bloodwork checks out. I do eat very healthy and exercise.

As mentioned above by another poster, my hormones could be a majorissue.

MemberMember
(@jorgeantoniocalderon40gmail-com)

Posted : 07/25/2021 12:42 am

1 hour ago, DaveJTR said:

I took Accutane 17 years ago, 10 years ago, and now 1 month ago. Ihave never had a hormonal test done. That could be it. I just know my face leaks oil constantly.

I exercise every (other) day by running and eat very healthy.

I think Im just part of the low percentile that needs it long term.

Oh wow. Thats really interesting. Im gonna do some research on that.

I heard long-term studies at lower doses were okay so long as bloodwork checks out. I do eat very healthy and exercise.

As mentioned above by another poster, my hormones could be a majorissue.

Of course, you should know where your acne comes from, hormones, food, probiotics, there are endless things that are inside our body that the body tries to warn us in the form of acne.
If you can't find another solution, you can opt for accutane but know that it may have an associated risk.

MemberMember
(@rapharapha)

Posted : 07/25/2021 5:13 am

I had greate experience from long term (5 years) low dose (10mg) accutane with pauses in between courses. Up until the age of 27, where I increased the dose to 40mg and basically impacted my skin in a way that it cracks, fissures and wrinkles strongly so I couldnt handle isotretinoin any more. I don't know if it is my age that is causing me to not tolerate isotretinoin any more, or that increase to 40mg.

Again, with 10mg/day (with intermittent pauses) I was clear for 5 years completely (from age 21 till age 26) , but not cured.

MemberMember
(@davejtrgmail-com)

Posted : 07/25/2021 7:35 am

6 hours ago, george20 said:

Of course, you should know where your acne comes from, hormones, food, probiotics, there are endless things that are inside our body that the body tries to warn us in the form of acne.
If you can't find another solution, you can opt for accutane but know that it may have an associated risk.

I appreciate the response. I agree. I hope my blood work checks out each time.

2 hours ago, rapharapha said:

I had greate experience from long term (5 years) low dose (10mg) accutane with pauses in between courses. Up until the age of 27, where I increased the dose to 40mg and basically impacted my skin in a way that it cracks, fissures and wrinkles strongly so I couldnt handle isotretinoin any more. I don't know if it is my age that is causing me to not tolerate isotretinoin any more, or that increase to 40mg.

Again, with 10mg/day (with intermittent pauses) I was clear for 5 years completely (from age 21 till age 26) , but not cured.

Did you end up stopping completely? Did your acne come back? Why did you not just go back to 10mg?

MemberMember
(@rapharapha)

Posted : 07/25/2021 8:36 pm

Now even 10mg is too strong for me and destroys my skin. Especially during winter. Even 10mg every other day is too strong. I'm 31, how old are you?

I might try 5mg every other day now.

Yes, acne always comes back. I basically want to stop isotretinoin forever, cause my skin cannot tolerate any more. I'm doing antibiotics, but my derm pushes isotretinoin instead.

MemberMember
(@davejtrgmail-com)

Posted : 07/27/2021 9:00 am

On 7/25/2021 at 9:36 PM, rapharapha said:

Now even 10mg is too strong for me and destroys my skin. Especially during winter. Even 10mg every other day is too strong. I'm 31, how old are you?

I might try 5mg every other day now.

Yes, acne always comes back. I basically want to stop isotretinoin forever, cause my skin cannot tolerate any more. I'm doing antibiotics, but my derm pushes isotretinoin instead.

I, too, am in my 30s. Iwonder if your cumulative dose has gotten so high that even a small amount of isotretinoin sets you off.

Your derm probably understands your frustrations and wants to rid you of your acne. If isotretinoin is all that has worked, then thats probably the reason for the push.

MemberMember
(@rapharapha)

Posted : 07/29/2021 5:33 am

Well. I don't know if cumulative dose is counted over the course of 10 years (low dose usage of isotretinoin).

Might be either:

- the cumulative dose over very long period of low dose usage,
-the age (30s)
-or the acute over-dose with isotretinoin which changed something in the skin.

I mean she is pushing isotretinoin because I as a patient ask and need systematic treatment. Which are either antibiotics (which are not suitable for very long term use) or isotretinoin.

--------------

To again answer on your question. 10mg long term (with pauses)was excellent option to keep my skin perfect over the course of 6 years, until I increased the dose to 30-40mg which made my skin intolerant to isotretinoin. The acne are still not cured but they were kept at bay during these 6 years, with the side-effect thatthe skin is very sensitive and very prone to scarring.

MemberMember
(@samsadleir)

Posted : 08/24/2021 6:17 pm

10mg every day till i die baby

MemberMember
(@rapharapha)

Posted : 09/12/2021 11:23 am

On 8/25/2021 at 1:17 AM, JudgmentPuzzleheaded said:

10mg every day till i die baby

To be honest that was my plan, with the idea of reducing to every other day.

MemberMember
(@lll3)

Posted : 10/04/2021 1:32 pm

Don't do this to yourself. Please! So much toxicity andphysical and mental damage that you'd beinflicting on yourself if you do. It's way too big of a risk. Trust me. Focus on diet and wellness. It's the only real way. No gmo, no high fructose corn syrup, no sugar, no junk. Only organic food, less cooked food in general and more raw living foods. Purified wateronly. Do this and watch not only your skin improve, but watch your whole life transform. Good luck

MemberMember
(@yasminexra)

Posted : 10/20/2021 11:13 am

I went on high dose accutane before. I'm on my second month with a low dose course this time!

MemberMember
(@jackson1234)

Posted : 10/20/2021 4:36 pm

On 10/5/2021 at 5:32 AM, LLL3 said:

Don't do this to yourself. Please! So much toxicity andphysical and mental damage that you'd beinflicting on yourself if you do. It's way too big of a risk. Trust me. Focus on diet and wellness. It's the only real way. No gmo, no high fructose corn syrup, no sugar, no junk. Only organic food, less cooked food in general and more raw living foods. Purified wateronly. Do this and watch not only your skin improve, but watch your whole life transform. Good luck

Gotta agree with this guy. Acne is a sign that your body is inflamed from something (usually from a food you're intolerant to). You have to fix the underlying issue whether it be diet, harsh skin care or something else.You don't want to roll the dice with accutane long-term, it works by destroying the oil glands not just in your face but in your eyes, gut, joints and otherorgans. There's literally a forum dedicated to reversing the nightmarish effects of accutane damage on this website that's over 700 pages long. Most of the people are still tryingto reverse the side effects. I'm not saying that accutane will definitely give you permanent side effects (maybe you tolerate the drug well), but the longer you take it the larger the risk. It should be reserved for the most severe cases of acne.

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 11/08/2021 10:29 pm

On 10/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, Jackson1234 said:

Gotta agree with this guy. Acne is a sign that your body is inflamed from something (usually from a food you're intolerant to). You have to fix the underlying issue whether it be diet, harsh skin care or something else.You don't want to roll the dice with accutane long-term, it works by destroying the oil glands not just in your face but in your eyes, gut, joints and otherorgans. There's literally a forum dedicated to reversing the nightmarish effects of accutane damage on this website that's over 700 pages long. Most of the people are still tryingto reverse the side effects. I'm not saying that accutane will definitely give you permanent side effects (maybe you tolerate the drug well), but the longer you take it the larger the risk. It should be reserved for the most severe cases of acne.

Diet is important not to make things worse for sure, but the best diet in the world isn't going to cure acne if you're predisposed. I ate so healthy back in the day and had severe acne. Irregardless of the reason my body was predisposed, diet was only good in not making things worse. I took two full courses of 40mg Accutane and it "generally" cured it. I say that because I have no breakouts, only shallow (but numerous) scarring after treatments, but underneath it still does feel like some things going on as in oily at times or rosacea type rash. In hindsight maybe 3 courses would've been more helpful but it helped enough to where the severe acne never came back.

I personally can't relate to acne "coming back" after such high dosage of 80mg and a whole 3 courses already. Maybe it's just that resilient in people. I had terrible acne but it only came back like 20% after course 1 and after course 2 it ran for the hills. Maybe I took it longer or something. I remember several months. Maybe as long as 3-5months on course 2, or I might just be not remembering it right.

MemberMember
(@jackson1234)

Posted : 11/10/2021 4:13 am

On 11/9/2021 at 2:29 PM, harmlessboy1441 said:

Diet is important not to make things worse for sure, but the best diet in the world isn't going to cure acne if you're predisposed. I ate so healthy back in the day and had severe acne. Irregardless of the reason my body was predisposed, diet was only good in not making things worse. I took two full courses of 40mg Accutane and it "generally" cured it. I say that because I have no breakouts, only shallow (but numerous) scarring after treatments, but underneath it still does feel like some things going on as in oily at times or rosacea type rash. In hindsight maybe 3 courses would've been more helpful but it helped enough to where the severe acne never came back.

I personally can't relate to acne "coming back" after such high dosage of 80mg and a whole 3 courses already. Maybe it's just that resilient in people. I had terrible acne but it only came back like 20% after course 1 and after course 2 it ran for the hills. Maybe I took it longer or something. I remember several months. Maybe as long as 3-5months on course 2, or I might just be not remembering it right.

Yeah its pretty individual. Personally my acne was cured by avoiding processed foods, nuts and whey protein in milk. I know a lot of other people that found success with cutting out certain dairy products as well. But yeah sure there are going to be those cases where people can't cure there acne with diet alone.

MemberMember
(@rapharapha)

Posted : 11/13/2021 3:42 pm

On 11/10/2021 at 10:13 AM, Jackson1234 said:

Yeah its pretty individual. Personally my acne was cured by avoiding processed foods, nuts and whey protein in milk. I know a lot of other people that found success with cutting out certain dairy products as well. But yeah sure there are going to be those cases where people can't cure there acne with diet alone.

what do you mean by "processed foods"? What you removed and what you eat currently?

MemberMember
(@jackson1234)

Posted : 11/13/2021 4:19 pm

30 minutes ago, rapharapha said:

what do you mean by "processed foods"? What you removed and what you eat currently?

By processed foods I mean foods you get in a package, with lots of nasty additives. For example a cookieyou buy at the store can have up to 30 ingredients added into it. Iremovedcream, milk, nuts, chocolate, vegetable oilsand I'm mostly sugar free. I mostly eat foods with one ingredient such asmeat, vegetables, some dairy (cheese and butter),and some carbs.

MemberMember
(@davejtrgmail-com)

Posted : 01/17/2022 8:31 pm

I read the last few comments that everyone was kind enough to share.

I think my problem isn't necessarily acne, per se, but rather it's the excessive oily skin that I have when I'm not on Isotretinoin; I believe the acne is the byproduct of the oily skin. And when I say oily, I mean I can wipe off a full layer of oil after 30 - 45 minutes post face wash.

So because of this, I don't believe the "eating better / healthier diet" would work. I've tried, and it never did. Eating better won't make the oil disappear - only Isotretinoin will fix that (for me personally), which is why it's the only thing that works.

I'm on my 6th month of 40mg every other day, and my face andchest havebeen 99% acne-free. The lower dose greatly lessensthe side-effects I experienced when I was on a "normal" Isotretinoin routine.

I hope this helps anyone who is on a low-dose long-term regimen, or anyone who is thinking about it. I will answer any questions that you all have regarding my experience.

MemberMember
(@samsadleir)

Posted : 03/08/2022 2:44 pm

On 3/4/2022 at 1:33 AM, JesusChrist said:

Do u using for long term??

yep

MemberMember
(@samsadleir)

Posted : 03/08/2022 5:57 pm

1 hour ago, JesusChrist said:

Tell me more? How many doses, how many days? Since when... Side efects etc.

about a year, started 20mg 3 months, then rest 10mg per day, now I do 10mg monday wed friday

1 hour ago, JesusChrist said:

Tell me more? How many doses, how many days? Since when... Side efects etc.

I will stick with this dose for about another 6months-year then try without

You liked
MemberMember
(@cehern)

Posted : 04/30/2022 2:32 pm

I've also used Accutane twice in my life. I'd like to believe a change in diet and exercise would change things, but it's not. I"m pretty healthy and set up a spreadsheet to try to track what might be causing it including sun exposure, milk, hot-sauce, work-outs, etc. to no avail. My doctor has pushed the Accutane more on me lately and I just can't decide but this low dose Accutane I might be on board with. Did the initial purge still happen. Did you still deal with the dry lips? The last time I used Accutane was back in 2004 and boy was it rough and just thinking of that experience keeps pushing me away and I'm too scared to take it again. My break-outs aren't what they used to be in my 20s, although still not as great as I'd like them to be and probably considered severe to someone that doesn't break out....if that makes any sense. I've been battling this for 28 years and I don't wish this on my worst enemy. One of the things I've learned is what works for one person might not work for someone else and vice versa. A friend or stranger can purchase a cream that clears him up in one week but it doesn't mean it'll happen to you (I see many of these posts). We should focus on being kind to ourselves (which I sometimes struggle with) and help each other out with a supportive and positive network to deal with this debilitating problem.

MemberMember
(@davejtrgmail-com)

Posted : 10/09/2022 8:07 pm

15 months now, and I have not had a single pimple. I was taking a 40mg pill every other day, but now I have switched to taking 1 40mg pill every Sunday and Thursday. Blood work is still steady. Lips slightly dry, but Aquaphor combats this.