Notifications
Clear all

True Mirror

MemberMember
(@mp28)

Posted : 06/13/2021 7:59 pm

Just wanted to leave this here..My whole life ive dealt with really bad body dysmorphic symptoms. Istill was often found very attractive by many people, butthere was always at least one flaw that controlled every second of my life. In high school this became acne scars. Its been a few years now basically freaking out every day about my perceived acne scars. Heres the crazy part: I can go on snapchat and take a selfie that makes my scars look terrible to me and I can look in a normal mirror and cringe at what I havedone to my skin. My OCD brain ruminates about where I went wrong skin picking or getting initialtreatments that may have made it worse before I went to a true professional. What I see doesnt even make sense. So many people in the world deal with bad acne and almost every single person ever picks their acne. How could I have gone so wrong?So, this brought me to Dr. Rullan for treatments. Getting before pictures for my scars the nurses could barely even find my scars with the harshest light and it took them a bit of adjusting to say I guess you can see the scars. Looking at the before pictures under harsh light thatwere emailed to me there was basically nothing there, my skin surely looked a lot better than what I see in the mirror or on snapchat. (by the way Dr. Rullan is awesome and I do think there was improvements in many lighting situations, but that isnt the point of this post.) Even Dr. Rullan himself before I showed him the pictures I took basically called my scars extremely shallow and minor.I cover my scars with bangs and I eventually opened up to my mom about how distressed I truly amwith my scars. She doesntget it when ishow her them. She notes how she maybe seesoneor two tiny scarsand slightly uneven skinthat just lookslike a normal rough complexion, but nothing to worry about whatsoever.Dealing with this for so long it just seems like something isnt adding up and for many of us perhaps we are dealing with something similar. Heres what has actually possibly given me some sortof hopeand raises alot of important questions that should be studied: There is a concept of a true mirror that essentially is a non-reversed reflection of yourself. When we look in anormal mirror our image is flipped, however there surely seems to me to be more going on. I donot own one that is setup where there is no seam and you can look intoyour own eyes, however I have held two mirrors up to look at the reflection of the reflection and there is some serious magic there. You can do your own research on it, but you can actually see yourself truly alive and expressive in a true mirror image, I dont know how to explain it. To me I could almost describe it as seeing myself in 3D even when Im looking at myself from head on like a normal mirror. But for me the craziest experience is the appearance of my scars. The simple two mirror method COMPLETELY changes how my scars look in a positive way. This is in the exact same lightings. It goes from looking like really damaged abnormal skin to a slight complexion problem that pretty much every single scar doctor has suggested, as well as others I have opened up to. My scars bother me A LOTless and its so hard to make sense of.It looks like how I see other peoplesskin, which even those that I know with severe acne scars I never ever see their skin how abnormal I see minein the mirror. This really should be researched more because even with this bit of hope I still can go get a haircut and look in the mirror and cringe at my scars and worry that the stylist is seeing the same thing. I dont know how to truly believe what others are seeing. Perhaps the single mirror is distorting to everyone and they only can see the scars how I do looking in a normal mirror at me. Theresalso the thought of my BDD and all the mechanisms and traumas behind it literally distorting what I see. Regardless, this true mirror concept is crazy. The complete differences that I see in my skin are literally life changing. Its the only time I can look at my skin notconfused and frustrated in the state of it andnot ruminate about possible microneedlings or lasershaving made it worse. It just looks like normal human skin. I can go fromsuicidal ideation fromwhat I see in the mirror or snapchat selfies tocompletely high on life when I see myself through two mirrors. My whole life Ive been struggling with a single mirror image, yet when I have some sort of a clear head I can realize all the suggestions from others that I am extremely attractive and that there is no gruesome or disfigured flaws on me. I dont understand whats going on here and quite frankly it makes me feel like i'm in a simulation or perhaps I had such a flawed viewed on life through childhood traumas that it rewired my brain to see these vast different images. Hopefullysomebody out there will do further studies on this. I encourage many of you to try this. I will give a warning that many people online when discussing true mirrors have said how awful it made them feel about their appearance regardless of any spiritual awakening that comes with seeing a flipped image of oneself. They often state how it made their asymmetries even more obvious, etc..For me, it has made me look like a normal human being and I love what I see. My flaws dont carry the same weight in a true mirror. I wont go as far to say this has completely broke me through and made my life normal because I still cant understand why Isee such a bad image in a single mirror, as well asnot knowing how others could possibly see me in certain situations. However, my gut is telling me there is some some intense magic here that should be studied in people with BDD or really anyone for that matter. I really do think this true mirror image is what others see when they look at me, but its so hard to understand the uncertainty when I look at myself otherwise. I could go take the worst picture in the worst angle and the worst possible light and have everyone on this site including me believe my life is ruined, however maybe there is a disconnect in the way all humans are viewing themselves both through cameras and normal mirrors. I dont know, but if these things have truth it would be a lot more of aneffective resolutionthan hoping of a miraculous scar treatment that makes all my fears of harsh lighting go away.

Try it for yourself if you want to.Im curious to hear everyones experiences and thoughts on this flipped image concept.

MemberMember
(@mp28)

Posted : 10/04/2021 2:28 pm

Has anyone tried this? This could be some serious self perception help that no one in the world talks about.If you dont want to read through the whole post, basically just put two mirrors together at an angle so you are seeing a reflection of a reflection and see if your scars look different than in a normal mirror. My scars go from looking strange and damaged skin that I cant even look at to a slight complexion problem that I can look past in a non-reversed mirror and be happy with my appearance. Please let me know yalls experience and maybe we can be less obsessive about getting skin treatments if we have the same conclusion.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 10/08/2021 2:01 pm

On 6/13/2021 at 5:59 PM, MP28 said:

Perhaps the single mirror is distorting to everyone and they only can see the scars how I do looking in a normal mirror at me. Theresalso the thought of my BDD and all the mechanisms and traumas behind it literally distorting what I see.

You missed two more mirrors. First is the INNER mirror, which reflects and magnifies the negative views we have of ourselves. Unless you get a firm grip of it, its corrosive nature will eventually eat us up. The second is the BIAS mirror, which only sees what it wants to see, regardless of what the true reality might be. Once it becomes fixated on one thing, that's all that it matters. This mirror is just as toxic as the first one.

Listen, I ain't here to philosophize or psychologize your issues. I might even sound unempathetic. But you need to take control of your life and don't give rein to those "mirrors".

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 10/11/2021 8:31 pm

On 10/8/2021 at 3:01 PM, Sirius Lee said:

You missed two more mirrors. First is the INNER mirror, which reflects and magnifies the negative views we have of ourselves. Unless you get a firm grip of it, its corrosive nature will eventually eat us up. The second is the BIAS mirror, which only sees what it wants to see, regardless of what the true reality might be. Once it becomes fixated on one thing, that's all that it matters. This mirror is just as toxic as the first one.

Listen, I ain't here to philosophize or psychologize your issues. I might even sound unempathetic. But you need to take control of your life and don't give rein to those "mirrors".

It's definitely fascinating but true that perception is both different and constant at the same time. Sometimes the flaws we see are totally accurate to other eyeballs, sometimes we think the flaws are super crazy and many others might just yawn like doctors who see worse, other times we see different lights, angles, or reflections of our scars and others don't see it the same way or often or time. At least that's how I kind of think sometimes. Sometimes I can't figure out if I'm going crazy and being too hard on myself or if I'm actually disgusted too little and others are disgusted more, and I probably reallydon't want the answer to that question, and why I don't want pictures taken to see any other angles or anything else.

MemberMember
(@mp28)

Posted : 10/14/2021 9:21 pm

On 10/5/2021 at 5:34 PM, can i get a new life please said:

It should be the reverse. When you first saw the scars at new perspective or new mirror other than used to look at yourself, its makes you very down because your brain doesnt used to that image and starts picking up irregularities from zero.

Is your scars mainly on cheeks, not jawline or cheekbones?

Well i dont know but when I say my skin looks pretty damn good when i simply flip the image I mean it. Maybe this isnt the case for everyone but seeing it a new perspective makes me think I see my skin like I would see anyone elses.

On 10/8/2021 at 2:01 PM, Sirius Lee said:

I definitely think I have biass and my brain sees what it wants to see now that ive been obsessed and paranoid about scars. I think you are missing the point of this post though. For a few years now I literally couldnt look at my forehead scars. It didnt make sense to me. Doctors told me my scars were barely existent and even Rullan suggested he didnt see much. I had serious BDD rituals like taking hundreds of awful pictures of my forehead or looking at the same screwed up image i saw in a mirror. Whenever Id show others (not often because I hid the scars) they suggested they barely saw anything and that my skin looked pretty good, nothing to worry about. This true mirror image is the only thing that HAS gotten me my life back although I still have OCD surrounding this situation and itll bring me down sometimes. I barely scroll on this site, I have a girlfriend, Im doing really well with my passions, etc..Maybe Im the only one with this experience i dont know. But at least its given me some slimmer of hope. Not sure why the change of image is so dramatic to my eyes.