Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I am a 19 year old severely struggling from acne. I do not know where to start tbh, I guess acne started to hit me when I was around 16, peaked probably in the past year or so. I feel that my face is now covered in horrible red marks and horrible spots - primarily on my cheek. However, they often go on my forehead and other places on my face. I have tried changing my diet, changing pillowcases etc - I have also had prescriptions such as Duac, Azealyic Acid and Lymecycline.

Tomorrow I go on new medication: erythromycin and a new topical gel but I highly doubt it will work. I dont really know what the point off this post was but seeing so many people my age with clear skin hurts, I cannot stop thinking about how sh*t acne has made me look and feel. 

I am going to try and use this thread to hold myself accountable and take any advise on board.

Thanks so much to anyone who read this,

AK x

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it makes you feel any better, I'm older than you and I suffer from the same, however my scars are what affect my mental health, wish I could trade them for just pimples.

Anyway, to clear up your acne probably the best suggestion is to try the regimen they have on this site or go on accutane if your dermatologist tells you to. But keep in mind if you get prescribed Accutane I recommend only taking small dosages. I took 30 mg of that stupid drug and I actually got a lot more scars, it's insane how much I regret it. But others who were successful with it, normally take less.

Good luck, and make sure to do your research before doing anything, because that's what I failed to do in the past and it definitely broke me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wish we could go back in time said:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm older than you and I suffer from the same, however my scars are what affect my mental health, wish I could trade them for just pimples.

Anyway, to clear up your acne probably the best suggestion is to try the regimen they have on this site or go on accutane if your dermatologist tells you to. But keep in mind if you get prescribed Accutane I recommend only taking small dosages. I took 30 mg of that stupid drug and I actually got a lot more scars, it's insane how much I regret it. But others who were successful with it, normally take less.

Good luck, and make sure to do your research before doing anything, because that's what I failed to do in the past and it definitely broke me.

Thanks mate, I’m sorry to hear that you are still struggling.

obviously as said above, I’ve been prescribed enrythmocin by my doctor but I am not sure, I’ve seen mixed stuff online? 

also how hard is it to be prescribed accutane, do you have to try x amount of gels and pills or can you just ask the doctor as I have tried a fair amount of topical gels etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, acnekiller16 said:

Thanks mate, I’m sorry to hear that you are still struggling.

obviously as said above, I’ve been prescribed enrythmocin by my doctor but I am not sure, I’ve seen mixed stuff online? 

also how hard is it to be prescribed accutane, do you have to try x amount of gels and pills or can you just ask the doctor as I have tried a fair amount of topical gels etc.

Never heard of enrythmocin so can't give you my opinion on that, sorry.

As for accutane, it is usually prescribed when you have persistent acne and chances of scarring. When I was younger before I got any scars I went to several drs who also just prescribed topical gels and creams. Later on, when I already had scars (but not as bad) I went to see another dr to ask him if he could treat my scars and he said first you need to have acne under control and he prescribed me 30 mg accutane daily, this unfortunately lead to insane breakouts that I've never had in my life and got scars that I would consider severe in my eyes.

To this day I've been desperately trying to treat my scars and no success so far. Either way, to your question, it really depends on the doctor you visit. One could prescribe you accutane right away, others could try to see if you can control your acne with topical gels and things more soft, this is because accutane ofc brings permanent side effects (I'm still suffering from dry lips and I haven't been on accutane for longer than a year).

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wish we could go back in time said:

Never heard of enrythmocin so can't give you my opinion on that, sorry.

As for accutane, it is usually prescribed when you have persistent acne and chances of scarring. When I was younger before I got any scars I went to several drs who also just prescribed topical gels and creams. Later on, when I already had scars (but not as bad) I went to see another dr to ask him if he could treat my scars and he said first you need to have acne under control and he prescribed me 30 mg accutane daily, this unfortunately lead to insane breakouts that I've never had in my life and got scars that I would consider severe in my eyes.

To this day I've been desperately trying to treat my scars and no success so far. Either way, to your question, it really depends on the doctor you visit. One could prescribe you accutane right away, others could try to see if you can control your acne with topical gels and things more soft, this is because accutane ofc brings permanent side effects (I'm still suffering from dry lips and I haven't been on accutane for longer than a year).

The latter is the case with me, yeah I get it - I’m 19 of course acne is not that unusual. It is more the scarring, I get a cyst and it lasts for two weeks, I then get a red mark on my face to show from it. It’s just terrible. I keep looking at people my age with clear skin and think why I couldn’t have it - maybe just bad luck? I don’t know. It has really bothered me this week.

Did some research and obvs it varies in dosage. I am just more worried about the NHS waiting time, heard it can be as long as a year? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, acnekiller16 said:

The latter is the case with me, yeah I get it - I’m 19 of course acne is not that unusual. It is more the scarring, I get a cyst and it lasts for two weeks, I then get a red mark on my face to show from it. It’s just terrible. I keep looking at people my age with clear skin and think why I couldn’t have it - maybe just bad luck? I don’t know. It has really bothered me this week.

Did some research and obvs it varies in dosage. I am just more worried about the NHS waiting time, heard it can be as long as a year? 

Yea I feel you, quite honestly at one point when I was younger I was the one with clear skin and saw a lot of teenagers with acne. I never really paid too much attention to it and thought I was fortunate to not go through that. Then at 17 I started to getting pimples, but nothing too crazy, and at 21 when I had a few little scars from those pimples I tried to treat them and I guess I paid for it. Got prescribed accutane and now live with much worse scars, to the fact that I'm completely obsessed with this right now. So I really hope whatever you choose to is the right option, because I just wouldn't want anyone to go thru what I'm going right now.

As for NHS waiting time, I don't know as well, sorry. :/

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wish we could go back in time said:

Yea I feel you, quite honestly at one point when I was younger I was the one with clear skin and saw a lot of teenagers with acne. I never really paid too much attention to it and thought I was fortunate to not go through that. Then at 17 I started to getting pimples, but nothing too crazy, and at 21 when I had a few little scars from those pimples I tried to treat them and I guess I paid for it. Got prescribed accutane and now live with much worse scars, to the fact that I'm completely obsessed with this right now. So I really hope whatever you choose to is the right option, because I just wouldn't want anyone to go thru what I'm going right now.

As for NHS waiting time, I don't know as well, sorry. :/

Okay, thanks mate. I’m going to try and update this thread when I go on these new antibiotics if anyone is interested haha

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×