Notifications
Clear all

Needing Emotional Support from Fellow Acne Sufferers

MemberMember
(@laraangelil)

Posted : 05/19/2021 11:48 pm

Hi All!

Lara here! I have been suffering from pretty severe cystic acne throughout my life. Primarily due to hormonalissues (potentially caused from birth control...one will never know). I have had acne on and off throughout my life. Quick summary : Teenage-hood normal acne teenager but pretty bad / Started taking birth control and had clear skin / went off of birth control and started getting severe adult acne / skin cleared with naturopath herbal medication / few years later came back with a vengeance / Went to see doctor and blood test confirmed that this was due to low progesterone. I am seeking help from a naturopath to regulate my hormones now but my emotional state and overall mental health is in the gutter. I am incredibly depressed and the only ppl I can think to reach out to are others that are suffering from this condition. It just feels like I am hitting a wall with ppl that have clear skin and they cannot really understand me. I feel so alone and trapped in this acne riddled body....

I know that we've all been at this crossroads asking ourselves 'will this ever get better or should I start to try and accept this condition - should I try and live my life fully whilst having acne all over'. I am still struggling with accepting this condition, I still cry and get angry bc I want clear skin and feel as though my life can only move forward if I have clear skin. Slowly but surely all this pain and anger is starting to destroy my life and the relationships in my life. I need some words of wisdom from some of you that are living their lives with this condition.... What are some techniques that work for you not to panic when you see your face?

I just feel terribly alone and sad and at this stage need someone to talk to that understands, that relates.

P.S. When I use new products and they make me 'purge' my mental state declines so much I stop using these productsbc I am terrified that they are making it worse and not just 'purging'. How do some of you cope with this process? As a result I can never try anything properly bc I am just terrified all the time that I am destroying my skin and ergo my life.

MemberMember
(@daliasaldanha96gmail-com)

Posted : 05/20/2021 12:09 am

"I just feel terribly alone and sad and at this stage need someone to talk to that understands, that relates. " - me too. :(

MemberMember
(@tellurium)

Posted : 05/21/2021 2:11 am

A lot of us have this idea that "clear skin" is the end goal but living a happy life with acne is very possible. 

MemberMember
(@laraangelil)

Posted : 05/23/2021 10:21 am

Hi tellurium,

thank you for your comment. How did you manage that? Any words of wisdom... did you overcome it over time or just never allowed it to stop you from living.

I am struggling so much with this condition. I feel like my life is complete destroyed but I also know that I have to find a way to love myself regardless.

MemberMember
(@wish-we-could-go-back-in-time)

Posted : 05/23/2021 10:22 am

1 minute ago, laraangelil said:

I am struggling so much with this condition. I feel like my life is complete destroyed but I also know that I have to find a way to love myself regardless. 

so relatable, how bad are ur scars? :/

MemberMember
(@laraangelil)

Posted : 05/23/2021 10:29 am

I actually don™t know bc I have so much active acne that it™s hard to see what the scars look like. I don™t think scarring is my worst issue but I just have a lot a lot of acne. All over - face, neck, chest and back. 

what about you? How are you holding up on your acne journey?

6 minutes ago, Wish we could go back in time said:

so relatable, how bad are ur scars? :/

Inactually don™t know bc I have so much active acne that it™s hard to see what the scars look like. I don™t think scarring is my worst issue but I just have a lot a lot of acne. All over - face, neck, chest and back. 

what about you? How are you holding up on your acne journey?

MemberMember

Posted : 05/23/2021 10:30 am

Just now, laraangelil said:

what about you? How are you holding up on your acne journey?

not very well, im obsessed with it, and every time i get treatment it looks worse than beforefor some reason

MemberMember
(@laraangelil)

Posted : 05/23/2021 10:38 am

Just now, Wish we could go back in time said:

not very well, im obsessed with it, and every time i get treatment it looks worse than beforefor some reason

I totally understand. I am obsessed with it too....but in the last few weeks Ive decided to stop trying to fix it with products. It would just start a yo-yo effect in my mindfrom hope to hopelessness and back again depending on how the product would effect my skin. Never did it actually help long term and it always made my obsession and anxiety worse. I am trying to find a way to accept my condition and potentially live a happy life with acne. Whats your story? Have you been living with acne for long?

MemberMember

Posted : 05/23/2021 10:43 am

2 minutes ago, laraangelil said:

I totally understand. I am obsessed with it too....but in the last few weeks Ive decided to stop trying to fix it with products. It would just start a yo-yo effect in my mindfrom hope to hopelessness and back again depending on how the product would effect my skin. Never did it actually help long term and it always made my obsession and anxiety worse. I am trying to find a way to accept my condition and potentially live a happy life with acne. Whats your story? Have you been living with acne for long?

No, I only got visible pimples after 17 years old, and I only got insanely ugly scars once I went on isotetrinoin at 21 for having persistent acne, since then I've been trying to treat my acne scars and nothing seems to work, been depressing over this for over a year now and it's not getting any better. It's harder because I work in a place where they force me to wear make up because of this and make up doesn't even cover my scars because i got several holes in my cheeks.

MemberMember
(@laraangelil)

Posted : 05/23/2021 10:53 am

3 minutes ago, Wish we could go back in time said:

No, I only got visible pimples after 17 years old, and I only got insanely ugly scars once I went on isotetrinoin at 21 for having persistent acne, since then I've been trying to treat my acne scars and nothing seems to work, been depressing over this for over a year now and it's not getting any better. It's harder because I work in a place where they force me to wear make up because of this and make up doesn't even cover my scars because i got several holes in my cheeks.

They ask you to wear makeup bc you have acne scars? What job do you have?

Im sorry to hear about your scars. Its so difficult living with this condition and its effects. I really understand....

MemberMember

Posted : 05/23/2021 12:08 pm

1 hour ago, laraangelil said:

They ask you to wear makeup bc you have acne scars? What job do you have?

work in hotel, everyone wears make up but i need more cuz of scars lol

MemberMember
(@redbangle)

Posted : 06/13/2021 10:13 am

I know how you feel. Ive struggled with acne for a very long time and i know its tempting to put your life on hold until you deem your skin "acceptable enough". Try not to fall into that trap, as hard as it is at times.

Maybe by imparting some advice id give to my younger self, that will inturn help you:

1) Eat Well

Try to incorporate all kinds of high quality, whole foods into your diet and limit or eliminate foods that tend to trigger breakouts (dairy and added sugar really affect me).

2) Stress Management

Your immune system, and inturn your skin, can be compromised by stress. Identify situations and/or people that tend to elevate your stress, then find strategies to manage them better or completely change your environment.

3) Meditation/Spiritual Practice

This is is key in helping determine your own personal values and the rules by which you want live. It helps you form your own identity and makes you less prone to comparing yourself to others negatively.

4) Be Compassionate to Yourself

We are all going to mess up. There will be somethings we wished we handled better...and sometimes, the result will be breakouts and/or scars. As hard as it is, learn to embrace it. You are human - embrace your humanity and the flaws that come with it. Perfection is delusional and pursuing it will make you miserable. Pursue measured improvement and extend compassion to yourself when you fall short.

On a closing note, i think professional cosmetic procedures can be helpful in moving people past the torment acne can cause. Having said that, i think its critical to implement the 4 points listed above before doing so; you may end up moving past the point of needing any work done.

Hope this is helpful and know that youre not alone. Ive been in your shoes too 🙂

-RB