Notifications
Clear all

New prescriptions and questions

MemberMember
(@nblizzi)

Posted : 05/19/2021 6:02 pm

[acne] new prescriptions and questions

I just came back from my first visit to a dermatologist and I was prescribed doxycycline hyclate 100mg tablets , sodium sulfacetamide 9.8% sulfur 4.8% cleanser , tretinoin 0.025% cream, and clindamycin phospate gel 1%.
I am going on vacation in 2 weeks , and I heard that tretinoin causes a vicious purge . Should I skip the tret until I come back? Also, will the rest of these medicines help my skin clear up at least a little before vacation ?

MemberMember
(@rapharapha)

Posted : 07/17/2021 8:51 pm

I didnt have experience that it causes a purge (if you mean initial worsening). On the other hand it is very common that its overuse (like more than twice a week) it causes severe peeling, redness and irritation of the skin with a delayed onset of these side-effects! So it is common that a person doesn't see its effect and apply it like 3 days in a rowand then they become a mess when side-effects start. This is why I would be very careful with starting Tretinoin just beforehaving important events, because of the before mentioned peeling, redness and irritation.

Use it carefully. You should start with once a week tretinoin application and0.025% is a weaker formulation I think, so you should be fine. Also it is not recommended to use it in the summer period, same withdoxycycline. So if you plan to be on the sun you should consult your dermatologist (best avoid summer sun completely if you plan to use these two). May in northern hemisphere should be good.

All these should have a good effect in clearing you quickly, and you should in general start tretinoin as early as possiblewith this combination, because it is very important in the combination. Also don't overuse the other medicines given. Each of them probably has side-effects when using more than prescribed, but tretinoin the most.