Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
versefifty

Help acne scars

Hello

What treatment should I get and how many sessions would it take to see improvement for these scars? Am I a good candidate for tca or phenol cross, or something else? 

Edited by versefifty

TCA Cross has the risk of widening your scars. The benefit is that they may become shallower. It's a risk you need to consider. 

Most of your ice pick scars are pretty small. Maybe you can visit a dermatologist and see if a low-percentage TCA could help, although low percentages don't equate to as much improvement. 

As with every treatment, you'll get a mixed bag of results. Some people saw improvement with Cross and others haven't. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Amanda Hall said:

TCA Cross has the risk of widening your scars. The benefit is that they may become shallower. It's a risk you need to consider. 

Most of your ice pick scars are pretty small. Maybe you can visit a dermatologist and see if a low-percentage TCA could help, although low percentages don't equate to as much improvement. 

As with every treatment, you'll get a mixed bag of results. Some people saw improvement with Cross and others haven't. 

Hi and thanks for the reply. I was wondering exactly this. Will phenol cross help fill the scars, or make them worse? What other treatment could be effective in your opinion? Some scars are just dilated pores and look small, but I also have many bigger ice-pick scars which might benefit from CROSS I think. My own research showed that most doctors would recommend the CROSS for such dilated pores and ice-picks. I am wearing a light BB cream on the photos but without make-up my scars are no different than this men's, and all doctors recommended TCA CROSS to him.

Screenshot_20210428-052244.jpg

Edited by versefifty
11 hours ago, versefifty said:

Hi and thanks for the reply. I was wondering exactly this. Will phenol cross help fill the scars, or make them worse? What other treatment could be effective in your opinion? Some scars are just dilated pores and look small, but I also have many bigger ice-pick scars which might benefit from CROSS I think. My own research showed that most doctors would recommend the CROSS for such dilated pores and ice-picks. I am wearing a light BB cream on the photos but without make-up my scars are no different than this men's, and all doctors recommended TCA CROSS to him.

None of us are prophetic so we can't guarantee anything.

Theoretically, Cross (TCA or Phenol) should help as the acid is supposed to get rid of the scar layer and allow for new collagen development. People have seen good results and some people have seen none or slight worsening of their scars. However, even if some scars get a little wider, they may get shallower which allows for laser resurfacing to make things look better in the end. This is all in theory. 

I'm only stating the risks because too many people jump into procedures only thinking that good things will happen. But having said this, I've seen and read accounts of people saying that this helps (sometimes more than lasers). 

If you have time and patience, go to a doctor and try the procedure on a few scars and see if that helps. I'm certain there's a doctor out there who won't charge a ridiculous amount to help you spot treat one scar.

Also keep in mind that Cross is a slow process. Many doctors advise that you do it multiple times to see improvement.

By the way, Phenol Cross is similar to TCA Cross. Dr. Rullan says Phenol is safer because it doesn't widen scars but I'm not sure about that.

On 4/28/2021 at 4:41 PM, Amanda Hall said:

None of us are prophetic so we can't guarantee anything.

Theoretically, Cross (TCA or Phenol) should help as the acid is supposed to get rid of the scar layer and allow for new collagen development. People have seen good results and some people have seen none or slight worsening of their scars. However, even if some scars get a little wider, they may get shallower which allows for laser resurfacing to make things look better in the end. This is all in theory. 

I'm only stating the risks because too many people jump into procedures only thinking that good things will happen. But having said this, I've seen and read accounts of people saying that this helps (sometimes more than lasers). 

If you have time and patience, go to a doctor and try the procedure on a few scars and see if that helps. I'm certain there's a doctor out there who won't charge a ridiculous amount to help you spot treat one scar.

Also keep in mind that Cross is a slow process. Many doctors advise that you do it multiple times to see improvement.

By the way, Phenol Cross is similar to TCA Cross. Dr. Rullan says Phenol is safer because it doesn't widen scars but I'm not sure about that.

But the treatment of choice for ice-pick scarring is tca cross, or better yet phenol cross as it causes less widening, isn't it? Any microneedling, standard or radio-frequency based, is just an added bonus, so to speak?

On 4/30/2021 at 10:35 AM, versefifty said:

But the treatment of choice for ice-pick scarring is tca cross, or better yet phenol cross as it causes less widening, isn't it? Any microneedling, standard or radio-frequency based, is just an added bonus, so to speak?

According to literature and my opinion, yes. Cross is better for ice pick scars than other treatments. Rullan says Phenol Cross causes less widening but who knows. There hasn't been many studies comparing TCA and Phenol, but Rullan is a highly recommended scar doctor. One guy here said that he treated somewhere around 50-100 scars and maybe only one widened, if I remember correctly.

Microneedling can help since people have said that but I personally haven't seen improvement in my few treatments. We all have different scars though. 

Dr Rullan treated 50-100 ice picks scars on one person? Wow! I'd love to get phenol cross, but it has not been widely offered.

I have posted my photos on Realself, asking for a recommendation, and the doctors who replied unanimously suggested a few sessions of tca cross, alongside with microneedling to improve the texture further, but tca cross shouldn't be missing from the treatment plan. Unfortunately, I have many ice-picks scars. Maybe 10-15 on each side. 

3 hours ago, versefifty said:

Dr Rullan treated 50-100 ice picks scars on one person? Wow! I'd love to get phenol cross, but it has not been widely offered.

I have posted my photos on Realself, asking for a recommendation, and the doctors who replied unanimously suggested a few sessions of tca cross, alongside with microneedling to improve the texture further, but tca cross shouldn't be missing from the treatment plan. Unfortunately, I have many ice-picks scars. Maybe 10-15 on each side. 

I've had Phenol Cross done. Not a miracle treatment for my small boxcars. However, ice pick scars are different so you may have a different result. TCA could possibly do the same job and is more available in your area since most doctors don't offer Phenol Cross. Just know that it's hard to predict any outcomes. Your scars could widen or may not. 

All I can tell you is to prepare for downtime (red marks for about a week) and a number of treatments since Cross takes a long time for results.

51 minutes ago, Amanda Hall said:

I've had Phenol Cross done. Not a miracle treatment for my small boxcars. However, ice pick scars are different so you may have a different result. TCA could possibly do the same job and is more available in your area since most doctors don't offer Phenol Cross. Just know that it's hard to predict any outcomes. Your scars could widen or may not. 

All I can tell you is to prepare for downtime (red marks for about a week) and a number of treatments since Cross takes a long time for results.

Thanks. I've heard that if done correctly scars don't widen, or at least not permanently. I have many ice-picks and tiny scarred pores as I suffered from severe acne. I will gladly take the downtime (now we have an excuse to wear masks in public so it's ok). I am a bit mad I lost 1,5 years not having my ice pick scars treated properly but I am glad I realized it in time to change it. Do you think tca cross can be done every 6 weeks, or how long should I wait between treatment sessions? 

5 hours ago, versefifty said:

Thanks. I've heard that if done correctly scars don't widen, or at least not permanently. I have many ice-picks and tiny scarred pores as I suffered from severe acne. I will gladly take the downtime (now we have an excuse to wear masks in public so it's ok). I am a bit mad I lost 1,5 years not having my ice pick scars treated properly but I am glad I realized it in time to change it. Do you think tca cross can be done every 6 weeks, or how long should I wait between treatment sessions? 

There are no guarantees with any treatment. I would at least prepare for the risk of them widening - not saying it will happen. 

I've heard 6-8 weeks is fine but no earlier. Masks greatly help... I forgot about this.