Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, 

I have scarring from cystic acne that I had as a teenager / young adult. These are deep atrophic scars that I would charitably classify as unimaginably severe. I have never seen acne scars this deep, disfiguring, and horrifying on another person. I am extremely depressed about them and I cannot get anything done because a very large amount of my free time is spent taking pictures of my face from all angles or in the bathroom with a set of mirrors examining the damage from all angles and crying. 

I have been quoted some really huge amounts of money to start to fix the damage and I suppose my question to you all is, would it be worth the money and risk? It would take me several years to save enough to be able to afford a treatment that would make a noticeable difference. Is there any reason to even do so? I cannot even leave the house on some bad days because my obsession is so severe.

Is it a better idea to see a psychiatrist and try to get over these? I cannot imagine being comfortable with them... the entire left side of my face doesn’t even look human. Am I mentally ill or is it really that bad? 

The strangest part is that for a decade, my scars didn’t bother me much. I knew I had them, but didn’t consider them very bad and they had no impact on my mental health or life. I always thought I had decent skin since the acne cleared up. But now, obviously, it’s nearly all I can think about. 

I think they really are quite horrible. Very disfiguring and unusual. I cannot believe nobody ever told me to cover them up - I can only imagine how scary I must look to other people and I feel like I shouldn’t walk around in public anymore without an open apology to everyone who has to look at me. 

Any input is welcome, thanks. 

D416D038-DE7D-4C9C-A1D1-CD0D15890A62.jpeg

FF662408-3E85-4671-B753-0D0B39C13C57.jpeg

C6C87766-81E5-4129-B9CD-4E905024A1A3.jpeg

35F99908-555F-4627-94B7-02B01071CEA3.jpeg

3 hours ago, 313178_1443948907 said:

The strangest part is that for a decade, my scars didn’t bother me much. I knew I had them, but didn’t consider them very bad and they had no impact on my mental health or life. I always thought I had decent skin since the acne cleared up. But now, obviously, it’s nearly all I can think about. 

We've all been there at one point or another. Even if you try, it's difficult to not take notice of these scars. Just the thought that you have these scars constantly gnaw at your psychological bearing. 

3 hours ago, 313178_1443948907 said:

I think they really are quite horrible. Very disfiguring and unusual. I cannot believe nobody ever told me to cover them up - I can only imagine how scary I must look to other people and I feel like I shouldn’t walk around in public anymore without an open apology to everyone who has to look at me. 

Don't be too hard on yourself. They might be disfiguring (for now) but it's not too late to fix them. The important thing is to keep your head above the water and have positive outlook in life.

Another critical thing to keep in mind is to have a roadmap. Knowing where you want to go and how to get there will be immensely helpful in the long run.

As far as your scars are concerned, you mostly have boxcar and rolling scars (see pic below). There are a few deep atrophic scars.

For treatment, you initially will want to get subcision to cut any tethered scar bands. This will help lift those scars that are held down. Second, I suggest TCA Cross for individual boxcars with prominent scar border. You must understand that scar is visible thanks in large part to SHADOWS. And the shadow made by scar borders. After the scar edge has been relatively flattened, you will likely need to get facial fillers.

Lastly, you will need multiple treatments, perhaps over many years. Some treatments can be done at home, some cannot. So you'll need to prioritize.

Hopefully, this will get you started.

image.png.0ff58547658f9fc74fa18be1d7c8bfe0.png

Hi there, 

I'd say there's a huge part of acne scaring that is associated with how we perceive our own self because most other people don't really care all that much, they are mostly preoccupied with how they themselves look rather than how other people look except if they're looking for a relationship like a love partner I guess. Some people are shallow no matter how you look. I can tell you that some of the most handsome people with perfect skin out there also can feel like they should apologize to others because they have a lot of jealous enemies. 

I know it's hard but you shouldn't worry about other people and having to excuse yourself over that lol, I'm sure you weren't all that serious anyway.

I've had some acne scaring too in my life and some places I noticed that are harder to treat then others are place like the temples and the area between your ears and where your face starts, it's almost untreatable for some reason...

The pictures you linked were mostly taken under some very harsh lightings and in all honesty it's not all that bad. Some of my scaring does look like yours but at 40 I can honestly say that it doesn't bother me like it used to. You really have to learn to get over it but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to do something about it if you feel like it.

I had some procedures done on my face over time and it always takes  a long time (sometimes years of healing) to be able to tell if it changed something or not. 

Some of your scaring have that sharp edgy look and I also had those. I think what helped me with that (if you don't want to start with harsh measures) would be to use a pumice stone like this one here. What I used to do is rub it on my face like once a week and let it heal a bit with some soft moisturizing to help collagen growth.

ok.jpg.d82a802a544ef4e004d2096eaaa872f0.jpg

This is made to be rubbed on the body, not necessary on the face but I used it on the face anyway and I seriously think it helped overtime with softening the sharp edges.

Good luck with whatever you're a going through keep in mind that most people with scars will experience some psychological effect related to it so you're not alone, millions and millions of people are out there suffering with this.

Edited by aFriendIfYouWant
5 hours ago, 313178_1443948907 said:

These are deep atrophic scars that I would charitably classify as unimaginably severe. I have never seen acne scars this deep, disfiguring, and horrifying on another person.

I agree that these scars are slightly severe, but remember that's only in the most extreme lighting. The vast majority of the people aren't going to zoom into your face and nitpick. I'd definitely not classify them as disfiguring or horrifying.

5 hours ago, 313178_1443948907 said:

I cannot believe nobody ever told me to cover them up - I can only imagine how scary I must look to other people and I feel like I shouldn’t walk around in public anymore without an open apology to everyone who has to look at me. 

We often think that everybody is watching us and analyzing every single flaw of ours, but trust me the vast majority of the people don't really care. The fact that nobody ever pointed out your scars is proof of that. We often tend to be our worst critics. Neither you nor anyone needs to apologize for anything.

One very important thing you'll eventually need to come to terms with whether or not you treat your scars is "acceptance". Accepting that your scars are here to stay and a chances that you may not see that much improvement. Some people see just 20%, while others get 50% or even 90% improvements. This is often the hardest part, there is no magic bullet treatment for acne scars. It all depends on how every individual reacts to treatments.

Remember we all have imperfections, some people are born with Type 1 Diabetes and need to keep injecting insulin all their lives, many are born with genetic and physical deformities, some are born blind, deaf, dumb etc. Not trying to minimize your struggles but what I wanted to point out is that we all have our own imperfections and the first step often begins with accepting them.

Regarding treatments, I agree that you should try out subcision first for your cheeks, you might also need some fillers. TCA cross should help for your boxcars on your temples. Avoid docs who just blindly want to laser your face without doing these treatments first.

Lastly, If you want inspiration here's an amazing story of Ernesto, IMO his scarring was more severe and widespread than yours but he still had a positive attitude about life and kept going. Last, I checked he was quite successful, runs his own company and a is public speaker.

Man don’t be sad and keep your head up!!!! Your scars can definitely improve!!! If you have no money, you can try at home treatments that will boost collagen production, try dermapen (you can buy one, for example dr. Pen, and try doing it at home) + you can try TCA at home you probably need also subcision, it will be okay:) 

honestly, i don't think your scars are that bad. your skin texture is good, and that's lucky not everyone has. I think with the right treatments (especially subcision+filler) you will have great results. Good luck

Thanks, everyone. All of your thoughts and comments are really helpful to me. I am feeling somewhat better today! But I know the ups and downs are real, so I will keep re-reading your responses when I feel down.