Notifications
Clear all

Subcision for tethered boxcar scars?

MemberMember
(@zqgjybntisdysuaagpmhzayt-online)

Posted : 03/03/2021 1:41 pm

Early 20s just finished Accutane and looking to treat my scars. Dermatologist told me most of my scars are tethered and subcision would help. With multiple sessions of subcision to break all the bands attached to underlying surfaces, would all my somewhat shallow (but fairly large) tethered scars be leveled and flattened completely?

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 1.20.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 1.21.07 PM.png

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 03/05/2021 3:09 am

On 3/3/2021 at 10:41 AM, gallbladdermatter said:

Early 20s just finished Accutane and looking to treat my scars. Dermatologist told me most of my scars are tethered and subcision would help. With multiple sessions of subcision to break all the bands attached to underlying surfaces, would all my somewhat shallow (but fairly large) tethered scars be leveled and flattened completely?

Your scars appear mostly boxcar and rolling scars. Just because you have rolling scars, it doesn't always mean they're tethered--especially if they're shallow. And yours don't look at all severe. But either way, it's completely up to you. It wouldn't hurt to get one and see how much improvement you can get, but I personally don't think you will see that much.

If I were you, I would be more concerned about fixing those scar edges than cutting the probable tethers. As I've always said, it's the SHADOWS that accentuate the scars. And the shadows are created by the scar borders. Once you get rid of the shadows, the less visible the scars will be. It's that simple.

Applying high concentration TCA to the scar border(aka TCA cross) is your best bet for minimizing the edges. Otherwise, you can try ablative laser like Ultrapulse.

But remember, rarely ever will you see a good result with only one treatment. In your case, you'll likely need several. Hang in there, and it will come. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@zqgjybntisdysuaagpmhzayt-online)

Posted : 03/05/2021 9:17 am

6 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

Your scars appear mostly boxcar and rolling scars. Just because you have rolling scars, it doesn't always mean they're tethered--especially if they're shallow. And yours don't look at all severe. But either way, it's completely up to you. It wouldn't hurt to get one and see how much improvement you can get, but I personally don't think you will see that much.

If I were you, I would be more concerned about fixing those scar edges than cutting the probable tethers. As I've always said, it's the SHADOWS that accentuate the scars. And the shadows are created by the scar borders. Once you get rid of the shadows, the less visible the scars will be. It's that simple.

Applying high concentration TCA to the scar border(aka TCA cross) is your best bet for minimizing the edges. Otherwise, you can try ablative laser like Ultrapulse.

But remember, rarely ever will you see a good result with only one treatment. In your case, you'll likely need several. Hang in there, and it will come. Good luck.

I used the animation test from Dr Davin Lim to confirm they are in fact tethered- my dermatologist did the same. I was just wondering if subcision COMPLETELY levels the scars while still keeping the edges or if it will still remain a bit depressed. Also, how effective would Lutronic Genius (RF Microneedling) be for those scar edges? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 03/05/2021 2:55 pm

5 hours ago, gallbladdermatter said:

I was just wondering if subcision COMPLETELY levels the scars while still keeping the edges or if it will still remain a bit depressed.

Don't mean to sound coy, but since apicture is always better than words, I suggest you find out for yourself. That's the only way to understand how your skin/scar reacts to treatments.

5 hours ago, gallbladdermatter said:

how effective would Lutronic Genius (RF Microneedling) be for those scar edges?

For scar edges, not much. It can be useful for creating volume though.

Good luck going forward.

MemberMember
(@fredm)

Posted : 03/06/2021 10:04 am

On 3/5/2021 at 3:17 PM, gallbladdermatter said:

I used the animation test from Dr Davin Lim to confirm they are in fact tethered- my dermatologist did the same. I was just wondering if subcision COMPLETELY levels the scars while still keeping the edges or if it will still remain a bit depressed. Also, how effective would Lutronic Genius (RF Microneedling) be for those scar edges? Thanks.

Can you show any video how is the animation test from Dr Lim?. Regards.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 03/06/2021 2:20 pm

If you have the money, just get subcision and see if you get improvement. I'm the type that doesn't like wondering if I should have done something so that would my suggestion. Subcision was the safest treatment for me. The swelling went down very quick and I didn't have any residual bruising after a few days. I only had the incision mark that lasted about a month to a month and a half.