Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
helloitsmee

Punch excision made me way worse? Panicking! Please help.

Recommended Posts

I had subcision and punch excision 2 weeks ago... my ice picks were very minor but I was offered it while I was having local anaesthetic so took it... the new scars I’ve developed are extremely deep and wide... I’ve been having panic attacks about it. I’ve been told it’ll improve with CO2 laser but as active acne has resurfaced I don’t know if/when I could get that. 
 

I was told it heals into FLAT white scars but this is 100000x worse than before!!

attached ***before and after*** pics... in both pics I put makeup over area so can see indentation rather than redness.


Obviously the one with big scars is the AFTER

 

does this heal or have I totally effed up my own face?

DF7C4C37-1765-4C07-B7DB-91702B5EA73F.png

2BAD17E0-7362-4924-AC16-73D99A39FFD7.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, helloitsmee said:

I had subcision and punch excision 2 weeks ago... my ice picks were very minor but I was offered it while I was having local anaesthetic so took it... the new scars I’ve developed are extremely deep and wide... I’ve been having panic attacks about it. I’ve been told it’ll improve with CO2 laser but as active acne has resurfaced I don’t know if/when I could get that. 
 

I was told it heals into FLAT white scars but this is 100000x worse than before!!

Two weeks is far too early to jump to any conclusion. Your skin color in the second pic tells me it's still in healing mode. You should wait at least 3 months. It won't be too late to take corrective measures at that time. That's not to say your doctor isn't an idiot for having offered excision for what looked like enlarged pores.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Sirius Lee said:

Two weeks is far too early to jump to any conclusion. Your skin color in the second pic tells me it's still in healing mode. You should wait at least 3 months. It won't be too late to take corrective measures at that time. That's not to say your doctor isn't an idiot for having offered excision for what looked like enlarged pores.

Bingo. Those look like enlarged pores rather than scars. I would have left them alone and just stuck to a face routine that includes a prescription retinol (Example, Tretinon). Excision can be very hit and miss too due to the different ways we heal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say be proactive and treat these scars while they are new. I accidently gave myself worse scars than yours and applied silicone sheets immediately after the tissue healed. You will have to wear them 24 hours a day for 3 months. My wounds were much bigger so eventually I got tired of not seeing my whole face, and I stopped wearing them around the 9 week mark, but they still proved to be very effective. You will see a difference even after wearing them for a week on new scars.

A couple of weeks after I stopped wearing them, I injected saline solution to further level the scars and that also improved the texture and thickness of the skin. One of my scars was dime sized and much much deeper than yours and the injections almost completely levelled it.

Saline injections are supposed to be done once a week for several weeks. It's typically used to treat fat atrophy, but there is a dermatologist that figured out it can be used to treat acne scars. It's not permanent like a filler, but it does raise the skin for a couple of hours/minutes depending on the amount injected. It's supposed to induce collagen production.

Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Who was your doctor?

I'm sorry that this has happened. I agree with the other posters, that this was an unnecessary/wrong treatment. Silicone is supposedly good for early scars. If you get the silicone sheets then you can cover them up for awhile and that might help with the panic attacks? 

 

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think silicon sheet will do anything for this. Silicon sheet is used for raised scar, instead of pitted ones. Also, apparently the stitches are re-opened after the excision. It won't get better if you don't treat it. I'm not sure if your doctor has used single or multi layers stitching and I'm not sure if the doctor has told you to use some dressing to reduce the wound-closure tension. Usually after excision, you need to keep reducing the wound-closure tension for months in case the stitches are re-opened.

However, I do agree with others that any moral derm won't offer excision on your type of concerns. Excision is even the last resort for deep icepick scars since the outcome is quite random.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jack817 said:

I don't think silicon sheet will do anything for this. Silicon sheet is used for raised scar, instead of pitted ones. Also, apparently the stitches are re-opened after the excision. It won't get better if you don't treat it. I'm not sure if your doctor has used single or multi layers stitching and I'm not sure if the doctor has told you to use some dressing to reduce the wound-closure tension. Usually after excision, you need to keep reducing the wound-closure tension for months in case the stitches are re-opened.

However, I do agree with others that any moral derm won't offer excision on your type of concerns. Excision is even the last resort for deep icepick scars since the outcome is quite random.  

Silicone sheets will absolutely help. They saved my life. My wounds looked like I had been bitten by a dog and knifed in the face. I went to a medical spa to get laser and they wouldn't touch me. They told me to see a PS asap. The plastic surgeon told me he wouldn't try anything until the 6 month mark. I did lots of research and knew doing nothing was the worst option because of how skin heals. While doing research, I stumbled upon silicone sheets. I recommend them because of my own experience. I didn't take pictures of myself, but when I was doing research, I downloaded a couple of pics similar to my scarring trying to find someone that was able to resolve their scars. I can upload those if anyone is interested.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2021 at 1:07 AM, nameaim said:

Silicone sheets will absolutely help. They saved my life. My wounds looked like I had been bitten by a dog and knifed in the face. I went to a medical spa to get laser and they wouldn't touch me. They told me to see a PS asap. The plastic surgeon told me he wouldn't try anything until the 6 month mark. I did lots of research and knew doing nothing was the worst option because of how skin heals. While doing research, I stumbled upon silicone sheets. I recommend them because of my own experience. I didn't take pictures of myself, but when I was doing research, I downloaded a couple of pics similar to my scarring trying to find someone that was able to resolve their scars. I can upload those if anyone is interested.

Thank you I will definitely try these silicone sheets. Yes it seems now is the time for me to be proactive in order for them to look somewhat normal again... at the moment I’m massaging daily with aquaphor (god knows if it works!) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×