Notifications
Clear all

SoCal Acne Scar Doctors

MemberMember
(@michaeljosephbusinessgmail-com)

Posted : 02/12/2021 2:20 am

Hi everyone,

I have a lot of rolling and atrophic scars I want to have taken care of but I have no clue who to go to in SoCal. I just got back from LA (live in Murrieta) today to visit Dr. Rahimi and I just felt like I was being scammed because his place was really run down and his Yelp reviews were also subpar even though the RealSelf reviews were good (I honestly think RealSelf reviews arent true because the same thing happened with Dr. Rullan and Dr. Valaie). Thats just my gut and for the$5,500 he was going to chargeIm going to trust it.I just need some guidance as to where I should go and I would ideally like to stay closer to Murrietabut will travel if necessary. Thank you!

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 02/12/2021 4:40 pm

14 hours ago, Mikeymikeandthefunkybunch said:

Hi everyone,

I have a lot of rolling and atrophic scars I want to have taken care of but I have no clue who to go to in SoCal. I just got back from LA (live in Murrieta) today to visit Dr. Rahimi and I just felt like I was being scammed because his place was really run down and his Yelp reviews were also subpar even though the RealSelf reviews were good (I honestly think RealSelf reviews aren™t true because the same thing happened with Dr. Rullan and Dr. Valaie). That™s just my gut and for the $5,500 he was going to charge I™m going to trust it. I just need some guidance as to where I should go and I would ideally like to stay closer to Murrieta but will travel if necessary. Thank you! 

To help you better, we really need to see your scars. If you decide to take pictures, consider the following in mind:

More shadows, the better. Angled lighting is an approach used to create a heavy shadow that will accentuate the scar for better evaluation as shown below. This is done by pointing a bright light perpendicular (90-degree) to the angle of the camera lens. See below.

Also don't shoot so close that it only shows the cheek. Try to include other parts of the face (eg. nose, mouth and/or ear). This will give better perspective of the scar size.

image.png.ceef7ca2fcb2f56e3f1d18f76085e5c4.png

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 02/12/2021 6:11 pm

15 hours ago, Mikeymikeandthefunkybunch said:

Hi everyone,

I have a lot of rolling and atrophic scars I want to have taken care of but I have no clue who to go to in SoCal. I just got back from LA (live in Murrieta) today to visit Dr. Rahimi and I just felt like I was being scammed because his place was really run down and his Yelp reviews were also subpar even though the RealSelf reviews were good (I honestly think RealSelf reviews arent true because the same thing happened with Dr. Rullan and Dr. Valaie). Thats just my gut and for the$5,500 he was going to chargeIm going to trust it.I just need some guidance as to where I should go and I would ideally like to stay closer to Murrietabut will travel if necessary. Thank you!

Rahimi's costs have skyrocketed. Then again, he's a cosmetic doctor so it's usually the case of money over care. Rahimi is one of the few doctors who recommends lasers over TCA Cross. You can check out his website where he says this.

For rolling scars, subcision is the best treatment. What are your thoughts on Rullan? He's one of the most well-known subcision doctors. I don't like that he hiked his prices like crazy but there's nothing we can do.

Dr. Benham is in Santa Monica who is capitalizing on scar treatment.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 02/12/2021 11:15 pm

Let the buyer beware. I don't see these same doctors hiking prices onfillers and other beauty treatments for their"doll" clients, and yet here they are trying to squeeze every last drop from the acne scar community.They do this, for the most part, because they know they can get away with it, with impunity. It's almost becoming a cartel-like. I think some of them are even actively colluding with one another, or studying each other on how to take advantage of the situation. I feel it's only going to get much worse from here. However, you have a choice. You can either support or not support them.

I encourage you to arm yourself with knowledge. That's the only way you can defend yourself. As the Chinese proverbgoes,"With knowledge, you can move the world. Without it, you won't move an inch."

MemberMember
(@dodgerguy)

Posted : 02/14/2021 3:23 pm

ALL acne scar doctors hike up prices because they know how vulnerable the patients are. If a doctor wants to charge you $5,500 for your initial treatment, you should look elsewhere. Also, if the talk is mainly geared toward lasers, walk away. These guys like Emer and Rahimi are looking to profit as much as possibleand aren't good at treating scars. Be aware that scar treatment can make things worse as well.

MemberMember

Posted : 02/15/2021 2:32 am

On 2/12/2021 at 3:11 PM, Amanda Hall said:

Rahimi's costs have skyrocketed. Then again, he's a cosmetic doctor so it's usually the case of money over care. Rahimi is one of the few doctors who recommends lasers over TCA Cross. You can check out his website where he says this.

For rolling scars, subcision is the best treatment. What are your thoughts on Rullan? He's one of the most well-known subcision doctors. I don't like that he hiked his prices like crazy but there's nothing we can do.

Dr. Benham is in Santa Monica who is capitalizing on scar treatment.

I agree that his prices were the highest Ive seen and I have been to about 4 consultations so far. I agree that subcision is best for my case which is why I thought of going with Dr. Sabrina Fabi since she performs subcision along with using an HA filler because Bellafill can potentially cause issues down the road. My only issue with her is her $250 consultation fee since shes TV famous. Dr. Rullan was actually reasonably priced and he was really nice but he did say that I, should be in jail because of the amount of testosterone I apparently have due to my large Adams apple. It was a bit unprofessional but what made me question his abilities were the reviews on Google and Yelp (not RealSelf) that claim he hurt people and gave them fillers that had to be surgically removed. If you watch he videos of the procedure on YouTube he is unnecessarily aggressive with the treatment. Ive looked into Dr. Benham but same thing he does provide great results for the money he is charging. Im honestly willing to pay an arm and a leg if it means getting rid of my scars but I feel like these doctors should actually provide results instead of playing with our emotions for more money at the end of the day.

On 2/12/2021 at 8:15 PM, Sirius Lee said:

Let the buyer beware. I don't see these same doctors hiking prices onfillers and other beauty treatments for their"doll" clients, and yet here they are trying to squeeze every last drop from the acne scar community.They do this, for the most part, because they know they can get away with it, with impunity. It's almost becoming a cartel-like. I think some of them are even actively colluding with one another, or studying each other on how to take advantage of the situation. I feel it's only going to get much worse from here. However, you have a choice. You can either support or not support them.

I encourage you to arm yourself with knowledge. That's the only way you can defend yourself. As the Chinese proverbgoes,"With knowledge, you can move the world. Without it, you won't move an inch."

Its definitely a cartel and Im really starting to realize that now. After seeing these photos online I thought Id be able to fully get rid of scars but little do people know that these doctors are posting pics right after treatment so youre face looks fuller because of your swelling. They also use different lighting which seriously changes the looks of the scars. Massive scam artists for sure but Ill keep searching in hopes of finding the diamond in the rough.

11 hours ago, dodgerguy said:

ALL acne scar doctors hike up prices because they know how vulnerable the patients are. If a doctor wants to charge you $5,500 for your initial treatment, you should look elsewhere. Also, if the talk is mainly geared toward lasers, walk away. These guys like Emer and Rahimi are looking to profit as much as possibleand aren't good at treating scars. Be aware that scar treatment can make things worse as well.

Yeah I know for my type of scars lasers are not an option at least until I get them filled. Emeris ridiculous but I was hoping that Rahimiwould be different but unfortunately hes just another fish in the scam pond.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 02/15/2021 3:20 am

On 2/12/2021 at 8:15 PM, Sirius Lee said:

I think it's hard to hike prices on fillers because every doctor/nurse does injections. It's easier for patients to go elsewhere. But it's difficult finding well-qualified scar doctors. For example, nobody in hell would fly to Australia to see Dr. Lim for fillers.

I'm not sure if there's collusion, but I think some doctors go online and YouTube to see what other doctors are doing. I have a feeling Dr. Benham started treating people with TCA Cross first instead of laseringbecause of what he saw online. Or maybe it's because he went to some presentations and found out that this is the best series of treatments. Who knows.

17 minutes ago, Mikeymikeandthefunkybunch said:

I agree that his prices were the highest Ive seen and I have been to about 4 consultations so far. I agree that subcision is best for my case which is why I thought of going with Dr. Sabrina Fabi since she performs subcision along with using an HA filler because Bellafill can potentially cause issues down the road. My only issue with her is her $250 consultation fee since shes TV famous. Dr. Rullan was actually reasonably priced and he was really nice but he did say that I, should be in jail because of the amount of testosterone I apparently have due to my large Adams apple. It was a bit unprofessional but what made me question his abilities were the reviews on Google and Yelp (not RealSelf) that claim he hurt people and gave them fillers that had to be surgically removed. If you watch he videos of the procedure on YouTube he is unnecessarily aggressive with the treatment. Ive looked into Dr. Benham but same thing he does provide great results for the money he is charging. Im honestly willing to pay an arm and a leg if it means getting rid of my scars but I feel like these doctors should actually provide results instead of playing with our emotions for more money at the end of the day.

Its definitely a cartel and Im really starting to realize that now. After seeing these photos online I thought Id be able to fully get rid of scars but little do people know that these doctors are posting pics right after treatment so youre face looks fuller because of your swelling. They also use different lighting which seriously changes the looks of the scars. Massive scam artists for sure but Ill keep searching in hopes of finding the diamond in the rough.

Yeah I know for my type of scars lasers are not an option at least until I get them filled. Emeris ridiculous but I was hoping that Rahimiwould be different but unfortunately hes just another fish in the scam pond.

Wait, Dr. Fabi is famous? I've never heard of her. I've heard of the practice and Drs. Goldman and Groff, but they are more laser doctors.

The issue you have with Dr. Rullan is getting fillers there. BA mentioned that Dr. Rullan is not the best place for fillers, and that you can go elsewhere for fillers for price and convenience. Dr. Rullan is for subcision and Phenol Cross. I'd like someone else to comment, but I would take Dr. Rullan over Dr. Fabi for subcision. For lasers and other cosmetic procedures, go to Dr. Fabi or the other doctors there.Subcision is one of the least risky procedures so why not just try it with both doctors? Also, Dr. Rullan doesn't do marketing. Cosmetic Laser Dermatology does a ton of marketing.

I have no experience with fillers after subcision but I believe BA said that fillers should be injected (should you choose to get fillers) several days to a week after subcision, but not on the same day.

You cannot fully get rid of scars, otherwise you'll be forever down in the dumps. For most of us, getting to a certain point short of perfection is extremely satisfactory. Swelling definitely makes things look way better. Day after subcision..... weeks after fractional CO2..... your skin looks realllllllllllllllllly good.

Emer is the worst of the worst. Not only is he the most expensive doctor that I know, he preaches getting treatments yearly. Like, who would get Fraxel several times a year as maintenance??? He puts in people's minds that they need scar treatment for life........ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I will give credit where it's due though - he does a good job at applying TCA during Cross and lasering people. Some doctors are just sloppy with their work.

MemberMember

Posted : 02/17/2021 1:43 pm

On 2/15/2021 at 12:20 AM, Amanda Hall said:

I think it's hard to hike prices on fillers because every doctor/nurse does injections. It's easier for patients to go elsewhere. But it's difficult finding well-qualified scar doctors. For example, nobody in hell would fly to Australia to see Dr. Lim for fillers.

I'm not sure if there's collusion, but I think some doctors go online and YouTube to see what other doctors are doing. I have a feeling Dr. Benham started treating people with TCA Cross first instead of laseringbecause of what he saw online. Or maybe it's because he went to some presentations and found out that this is the best series of treatments. Who knows.

Wait, Dr. Fabi is famous? I've never heard of her. I've heard of the practice and Drs. Goldman and Groff, but they are more laser doctors.

The issue you have with Dr. Rullan is getting fillers there. BA mentioned that Dr. Rullan is not the best place for fillers, and that you can go elsewhere for fillers for price and convenience. Dr. Rullan is for subcision and Phenol Cross. I'd like someone else to comment, but I would take Dr. Rullan over Dr. Fabi for subcision. For lasers and other cosmetic procedures, go to Dr. Fabi or the other doctors there.Subcision is one of the least risky procedures so why not just try it with both doctors? Also, Dr. Rullan doesn't do marketing. Cosmetic Laser Dermatology does a ton of marketing.

I have no experience with fillers after subcision but I believe BA said that fillers should be injected (should you choose to get fillers) several days to a week after subcision, but not on the same day.

You cannot fully get rid of scars, otherwise you'll be forever down in the dumps. For most of us, getting to a certain point short of perfection is extremely satisfactory. Swelling definitely makes things look way better. Day after subcision..... weeks after fractional CO2..... your skin looks realllllllllllllllllly good.

Emer is the worst of the worst. Not only is he the most expensive doctor that I know, he preaches getting treatments yearly. Like, who would get Fraxel several times a year as maintenance??? He puts in people's minds that they need scar treatment for life........ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I will give credit where it's due though - he does a good job at applying TCA during Cross and lasering people. Some doctors are just sloppy with their work.

Yes Id really like someone else to comment too because Ive been researching doctor after doctor and it seems like most of them are just after the money. I agree that Dr. Rullan is known for subcision but if you watch some of his YouTube videos he makes the patients extremely swollen and bruised whereas other doctors are able to perform subcision without as much swelling and bruising which tells me hes overly aggressive. And yes Dr. Fabi is famous! If you look her up she has been on The Doctors, Dr. Phil, etc. which is great and all but along with that comes a higher price including a $250 consultation fee. She performsa mix of subcision, HA filler, and lasers which seems to have yielded great results according to patients.Ive actually had Fraxel done and it did almost nothing for my face which is why Im looking to get subcision done.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 02/17/2021 2:52 pm

55 minutes ago, Mikeymikeandthefunkybunch said:

Yes Id really like someone else to comment too because Ive been researching doctor after doctor and it seems like most of them are just after the money. I agree that Dr. Rullan is known for subcision but if you watch some of his YouTube videos he makes the patients extremely swollen and bruised whereas other doctors are able to perform subcision without as much swelling and bruising which tells me hes overly aggressive. And yes Dr. Fabi is famous! If you look her up she has been on The Doctors, Dr. Phil, etc. which is great and all but along with that comes a higher price including a $250 consultation fee. She performsa mix of subcision, HA filler, and lasers which seems to have yielded great results according to patients.Ive actually had Fraxel done and it did almost nothing for my face which is why Im looking to get subcision done.

I'm not sure if your logic is right, but I could be wrong. With subcision, you may need to be aggressive to break apart the tethers. I've seen all of the videos you have. I've also gotten subcision done by Rullan before. While I didn't see results, my scars are mostly shallower boxcars so it's hard to say his method didn't work. I just had money to spend so I figured that I'd try. Recovery was easy. I was swollen that day with only yellow-like bruisingbut I was ready to go back into the worldthe next day or two days later.I've also seen the video of the Khaos lady getting subcision done on a chicken pox scar. The doctor was gentle with subcision,and that may have worked but I haven't seen the after results. I would say assess your scars and chat with your doctor.

I checked out Dr. Fabi on YouTube and she's on the Doctors... thistells me that she's more into marketing andcosmetic treatments. I don't doubt that she understands the procedures but to say she's better than Rullan at subcision is quite a stretch. I would bet there's nobody on this forum who would disagree with me. Based on what I've seen, it seems like Dr. Fabi is a good doctor. But I'd say Rullan can do what Dr. Fabi can do.

When I got filler done several years ago in the area where I had scarring, a plastic surgeon said he would do subcision with the cannula that had the filler. He was gentle and careful. Then I went to Dr. Rullan years later. I would take Dr. Rullan over other doctors for subcision unless you have scarring that's easy to treat.

MemberMember

Posted : 02/22/2021 12:31 pm

On 2/17/2021 at 11:52 AM, Amanda Hall said:

I'm not sure if your logic is right, but I could be wrong. With subcision, you may need to be aggressive to break apart the tethers. I've seen all of the videos you have. I've also gotten subcision done by Rullan before. While I didn't see results, my scars are mostly shallower boxcars so it's hard to say his method didn't work. I just had money to spend so I figured that I'd try. Recovery was easy. I was swollen that day with only yellow-like bruisingbut I was ready to go back into the worldthe next day or two days later.I've also seen the video of the Khaos lady getting subcision done on a chicken pox scar. The doctor was gentle with subcision,and that may have worked but I haven't seen the after results. I would say assess your scars and chat with your doctor.

I checked out Dr. Fabi on YouTube and she's on the Doctors... thistells me that she's more into marketing andcosmetic treatments. I don't doubt that she understands the procedures but to say she's better than Rullan at subcision is quite a stretch. I would bet there's nobody on this forum who would disagree with me. Based on what I've seen, it seems like Dr. Fabi is a good doctor. But I'd say Rullan can do what Dr. Fabi can do.

When I got filler done several years ago in the area where I had scarring, a plastic surgeon said he would do subcision with the cannula that had the filler. He was gentle and careful. Then I went to Dr. Rullan years later. I would take Dr. Rullan over other doctors for subcision unless you have scarring that's easy to treat.

I definitely think Dr. Rullan is a great doctor and you cant go wrong with him but just for me personally I dont feel comfortable with him performing my procedure but again thats only because of how he treated me during my consultation. Dr. Fabi is skilled as well so it definitely comes down to personal preference but just after seeing so many reviews on Dr. Rullans work I just decided he wasnt the doctor for me.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 02/23/2021 12:28 am

11 hours ago, Mikeymikeandthefunkybunch said:

I definitely think Dr. Rullan is a great doctor and you can™t go wrong with him but just for me personally I don™t feel comfortable with him performing my procedure but again that™s only because of how he treated me during my consultation. Dr. Fabi is skilled as well so it definitely comes down to personal preference but just after seeing so many reviews on Dr. Rullan™s work I just decided he wasn™t the doctor for me. 

I respect your decision. You have to do what you are comfortable with. After all, you've talked to both doctors and I didn't even know one of them. I have no incentive to lead to you any one doctor except to help you. 

Please let me know how your results with Dr. Fabi turn out! DM me down the road. If Dr. Fabi is great, maybe I'll pay her a visit! :)