Notifications
Clear all

Need help for acne scar revision

(@exob1t3)

Posted : 01/24/2021 2:35 pm

Hello everyone! 

I'm new here, lurking for some time now.

In october I had a big cystic acne flare-up that ended up scarring my face like this. The acne is currently under control, with spironolactone+ clindamycin+ niacinamide pharmacy prepared topical cream. Also using azelaic acid(15% skinoren gel) in the am, spf 50 everyday.

Went to a cosmetic derm that performed prp, a week ago, to be honest the results are barely there.  She said the prp will help healing the inflamation under the PIE.  I also got prescribed minocycline (Minoz 100 mg) 1/day, but still thinking if I should take them because of side effects (got pretty bad ones from Accutane that I had to stop after 3 weeks). The antibiotic is for the underlying inflammation and to aid the topical clindamycin. 

I use Retin A 0.025 cream once a week and a glycolic acid at home peel once a week.

I also got a silicone cream that I use twice a day.

Next she proposed we do a chemical peel, and the next time after that, subcision and microneedling with radiofrequency (Infini Lutronic).

The pie is very much bothering me, but I also noticed the scars underneath, some rolling and some boxcar.

Should I get another opinion, what treatment would you choose? 

20210110_000143.jpg

20210124_213145.jpg

20210124_213223.jpg

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/24/2021 6:59 pm

4 hours ago, exob1t3 said:

In october I had a big cystic acne flare-up that ended up scarring my face like this.

Fresh scars tend to improve within the first 6 months, so I would wait until April before starting any treatment.

...prescribedclindamycin,minocycline,clindamycin

Wow, that's a lot of antibiotics. I bet your doctor never mentioned that those antibiotics not only killthe bad germs but also many good bacterias in our gut as well. This is how you end up with super-resistant bacteria like MERS. By then, no antibiotics will work.

The pie is very much bothering me, but I also noticed the scars underneath, some rolling and some boxcar.

Just getting rid of the PIE alone will help a lot here. You can look into vascular laser like VBeam.

You liked
MemberMember
(@leonrivera)

Posted : 01/25/2021 8:31 am

I had really bad scars and I noticed that vitamin c helps a lot. I would recommend using products from the Body Shop that contain it. This was years ago so cant remember the exact product I use. Hope this helps!

You liked
(@exob1t3)

Posted : 01/26/2021 4:08 pm

I am supposed to be getting a TCA peel in a week, but I'n not sure it will help. Any advice?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/26/2021 4:52 pm

43 minutes ago, exob1t3 said:

I am supposed to be getting a TCA peel in a week, but I'n not sure it will help. Any advice?

TCA peel is usually in the low % range. It might help for the PIH, but not for the actual scars.

(@exob1t3)

Posted : 01/28/2021 2:57 pm

On 1/26/2021 at 11:52 PM, Sirius Lee said:

TCA peel is usually in the low % range. It might help for the PIH, but not for the actual scars.

Yes, it will be for the PIH . Thanks!

MemberMember
(@magicalmysterytour28gmail-com)

Posted : 02/01/2021 6:05 am

On 1/29/2021 at 1:44 PM, Sirius Lee said:

Are we talking about the RF microneedling or the manual needling? If RF, you might see some improvement from collagen induction, but with the manual, likely not. It's worth noting RF microneedling will not help with the scar borders though. It really would be pointless to get RF micro without first smoothing down the scar borders. 

More or less the same side-effects as with any other treatments: swelling, redness, oozing, and possible infection.

On 1/25/2021 at 1:05 AM, exob1t3 said:

Hello everyone! 

I'm new here, lurking for some time now.

In october I had a big cystic acne flare-up that ended up scarring my face like this. The acne is currently under control, with spironolactone+ clindamycin+ niacinamide pharmacy prepared topical cream. Also using azelaic acid(15% skinoren gel) in the am, spf 50 everyday.

Went to a cosmetic derm that performed prp, a week ago, to be honest the results are barely there.  She said the prp will help healing the inflamation under the PIE.  I also got prescribed minocycline (Minoz 100 mg) 1/day, but still thinking if I should take them because of side effects (got pretty bad ones from Accutane that I had to stop after 3 weeks). The antibiotic is for the underlying inflammation and to aid the topical clindamycin. 

I use Retin A 0.025 cream once a week and a glycolic acid at home peel once a week.

I also got a silicone cream that I use twice a day.

Next she proposed we do a chemical peel, and the next time after that, subcision and microneedling with radiofrequency (Infini Lutronic).

Should I get another opinion, what treatment would you choose? 

20210110_000143.jpg

20210124_213145.jpg

20210124_213223.jpg

Hi there, I hope you feel better soon. I am not a doctor or anything, but Davin Lim's youtube video on scarring discusses ematrix as a possible solution for early scars. He also mentioned Laser Genesis and IPL as possible solutions. Maybe discuss these with your derm :)

(@exob1t3)

Posted : 03/21/2021 2:38 am

On 2/1/2021 at 1:05 PM, Curiousobserver90 said:

Hi there, I hope you feel better soon. I am not a doctor or anything, but Davin Lim's youtube video on scarring discusses ematrix as a possible solution for early scars. He also mentioned Laser Genesis and IPL as possible solutions. Maybe discuss these with your derm :)

Hi! Sorry for the late reply.

I know dr Davin Lim, I follow him and youtube and Instagram. He explains everything so well.

I got a tca peel on February 1st and things got better. The PIE lightened and the scars are a little bit less indented. I'm going to have vbeam  for the red spots and take it from there.

I was advised to get fractional CO2 and microneedling with dermapen 4 and some cocktails for the scars, but still thinking about it. Thoughts?

MemberMember
(@rapharapha)

Posted : 07/17/2021 9:09 pm

How is it going?

As far as I know acne scars are, as of today, still hard to improve significantly. So we are all waiting for scientific improvements in that field :). I think it is important to get rid of the acne first and find a good combination of medications that works well for your acne.

Apart from the procedures, some scars do also tend to improve with time. In some cases the improvement with time can be significant. I got my rolling-scars on the cheeks improve up to 90% in 3-4 years, but then I got more flare-ups which added new scars, and now it is worse than before :D. The scars on the temples seems to improve the least. I also got one hypertrophic scar on the side of the nose which is not that big but seems to get 0 improvement over 10 years. 

Yours look more like box-scars which I don't think improve that significantly as rolling ones with time.