Notifications
Clear all

How long should I keep a wound/scar moist?

MemberMember
(@easypeasyqueezy)

Posted : 01/24/2021 11:55 am

When they say wet wound healing, how long constitutes the wound phase?

For example after TCA cross, do I keep the new scar moist for a week or indefinitely?

Until the scab has fallen off? Or the entire time it is remodelling the scar?

Is longer better? Does it make the skin weaker if its always moist?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/24/2021 2:22 pm

2 hours ago, Easypeasyqueezy said:

When they say wet wound healing, how long constitutes the wound phase?

For example after TCA cross, do I keep the new scar moist for a week or indefinitely?

Until the scab has fallen off? Or the entire time it is remodelling the scar?

Is longer better? Does it make the skin weaker if its always moist?

You want to keep the wound moist at least until the scabs fall off. Prolonged moisturization will not make your skin any weaker. Instead, it will keep your skin hydrated, helping with nutrient delivery to the wound site for faster healing. Here's a passage from the study done on clinical comparison between wet and dry healing:

Wet or moist treatment of wounds has been shown to promote re-epithelialization and result in reduced scar formation, as compared to treatment in a dry environment. The inflammatory reaction is reduced in the wet environment, thereby limiting injury progression. Several studies have compared wet, moist, and dry healing. A wet or moist incubator-like microenvironment provides the fastest healing with fewest aberrations and least scar formation. These clinically relevant observations allow one to resolve translational experiments and relevance to further enhance and define the parameters important to accelerating wound healing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3842869/#text=Clinical Relevance-,Wet or moist treatment of wounds has been shown to,environment%2C thereby limiting injury progression.