Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobbytheorangecat

I need help with my hormonal acne

Hi! It's my first time here. I never had severe acne when I was a teen, maybe some pimples, but I got rid of them with Duac. 

I'm a female and 23 years old, turning 24 in June. I quit the birth control pill about 3 years ago, and my skin was overall ok.

This summer, I started having really bad acne. It got to the point where I avoid being with other people, because I know for a fact they will judge me for it. I started researching and trying to get good products and a good skincare routine, but I got discouraged when I started using CeraVe moisturizer and I got a lot of closed comedones. Those comedones are now inflammed and it seems like, although it is hormonal acne, it's never better throughout the month. I watched A LOT of videos of how to cure your acne with food and supplements, and it seems like I tried everything now. I've been a vegetarian for 6 years, and started consuming fish because of this. I quit lactose and gluten. I take zinc, magnesium, omega 3 and vitamin D3 supplements everyday. I try to drink mint, licorice and dandelion tea, etc.

I went to a dermatologist yesterday and he really wants me to take accutane. He didn't ask what I have tried already, and the only alternative he gave me was minocycline. I've already took antibiotics 4 times this year, because I got my wisdom teeth removed. I really want to fight this without taking any oral medication.

I'm stil applying topicals (Duac- it has benzoyl peroxide), but this doesn't solve the problem, because it doesn't interfere with hormones.

Can anyone help me or give me some advice? Yhank you so much for your attention.