Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alisvolatpropriis

Do collagen supplements improve your scars?

1 hour ago, alisvolatpropriis said:

Hey does anyone take collagen supplements and do you see any change in your scars? 

No, but you should take them anyway. Collagen isn't just found on the skin. They're everywhere. Muscles, bones, tendons, blood vessels, digestive system, on and on and on. 

7 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

No, but you should take them anyway. Collagen isn't just found on the skin. They're everywhere. Muscles, bones, tendons, blood vessels, digestive system, on and on and on. 

I've heard that people in their 40s are taking them as angi-aging and that it works. They thicken the skin so I thought why not for my scars? Do you have a good brand to recommend? 

10 minutes ago, alisvolatpropriis said:

I've heard that people in their 40s are taking them as angi-aging and that it works. They thicken the skin so I thought why not for my scars? Do you have a good brand to recommend? 

The best brand is the natural brand. Go buy some cow bones, preferably organic, and make some broth. Drink that regularly. 

5 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

The best brand is the natural brand. Go buy some cow bones, preferably organic, and make some broth. Drink that regularly. 

Ops I turned vegan for my skin. I will have to look for some plant-based or at least fish-based collagen supplements. 

Collagen supplement haven't improved my pre-existing scars, but new breakouts heal so much better and my overall skin is more plump, which also makes the appearance of old scars slightly better. I haven't had any new scarring since taking collegen and I'm usually switching between from type 1 and type 2 collegen. I buy the one that's in powder form and add some liposomal vitamin D and vitamin C. 

Edited by Pianina
17 minutes ago, Pianina said:

Collagen supplement haven't improved my pre-existing scars, but new breakouts heal so much better and my overall skin is more plump, which also makes the appearance of old scars slightly better. I haven't had any new scarring since taking collegen and I'm usually switching between from type 1 and type 2 collegen. I buy the one that's in powder form and add some liposomal vitamin D and vitamin C. 

Which brand do you use? Vitamin C and D are very good. I'm taking them both as well as vitamin B12 and healthy fats like EPA and DHA. They are also helping me clear my active acne. 

I watched an influencer in her 50'es recommend collagen and found a plastic surgeon on YouTube who said that collagen indeed has been proven to thicken the skin. So I really want to find a good brand to buy before I start scar treatment. 

1 hour ago, alisvolatpropriis said:

Which brand do you use? Vitamin C and D are very good. I'm taking them both as well as vitamin B12 and healthy fats like EPA and DHA. They are also helping me clear my active acne. 

I watched an influencer in her 50'es recommend collagen and found a plastic surgeon on YouTube who said that collagen indeed has been proven to thicken the skin. So I really want to find a good brand to buy before I start scar treatment. 

I'm using Nature's Finest by Nutrisslim Collagen powder and drop in some of CureSupport Liposomal Vitamin D3 and C drops. I heard good reviews of Dr. Ohhira's Liquid Collagen, but it's quite expensive

4 hours ago, alisvolatpropriis said:

Ops I turned vegan for my skin. I will have to look for some plant-based or at least fish-based collagen supplements. 

Collagen is literally connective tissue.  I do not think a plant based option exists. From my research there isn't any significant benefit to consuming collagen specifically.  Your body takes it in and processes it like any other protein you may intake.  Seems like more marketing than anything.  Just make sure you get adequate protein. 

1 hour ago, Pianina said:

I'm using Nature's Finest by Nutrisslim Collagen powder and drop in some of CureSupport Liposomal Vitamin D3 and C drops. I heard good reviews of Dr. Ohhira's Liquid Collagen, but it's quite expensive

Thanks. I'll look it up!

9 minutes ago, anon09299 said:

Collagen is literally connective tissue.  I do not think a plant based option exists. From my research there isn't any significant benefit to consuming collagen specifically.  Your body takes it in and processes it like any other protein you may intake.  Seems like more marketing than anything.  Just make sure you get adequate protein. 

I was thinking the same! An influencer on YT however has flawless skin for her age and swears by her collagen pills so I decided to look it up. I found this holistic plastic surgeon who presented studies that collagen pills do help. He also mentioned that for vegans and vegetarians there are some synthetic options but I have not researched any further. Maybe I'll try something alongside with scar treatments to boost collagen, when the time comes.

Otherwise I do take enough protein, I use a nutrient tracking app and calculate my intake precisely, trying to always get enough gramms per day, way over the recommended daily intake for my weight. I also take hyaluronic acid pills for my skin which is a precursor of collagen and is vegan.

3 hours ago, alisvolatpropriis said:

Thanks. I'll look it up!

I was thinking the same! An influencer on YT however has flawless skin for her age and swears by her collagen pills so I decided to look it up. I found this holistic plastic surgeon who presented studies that collagen pills do help. He also mentioned that for vegans and vegetarians there are some synthetic options but I have not researched any further. Maybe I'll try something alongside with scar treatments to boost collagen, when the time comes.

Otherwise I do take enough protein, I use a nutrient tracking app and calculate my intake precisely, trying to always get enough gramms per day, way over the recommended daily intake for my weight. I also take hyaluronic acid pills for my skin which is a precursor of collagen and is vegan.

Just be careful. I wouldn't be surprised if that influencer had an affiliate link where they are paid for your purchase.  As long as it's not breaking your bank it probably doesn't hurt to try to include especially after treatments.  

I will. She's a morning show moderator and was giving general beauty advice just by chance in an interview, didn't even mention a brand name for the collagen. I was intrigued because with 50 she has the skin of a 30 year old and she swears by her collagen. She even recommended collagen as bone broth actually but I cannot have this.

9 hours ago, alisvolatpropriis said:

If you want to consume supplements, I suggest these two amino acids: L-lysine and L-proline. As collagen precursors, they have the most effects on your skin health.

1 hour ago, Sirius Lee said:

If you want to consume supplements, I suggest these two amino acids: L-lysine and L-proline. As collagen precursors, they have the most effects on your skin health.

Oh thanks for the tip. I'll have to see where I can get those. Btw, I found vegan collagen powder with hyaluronic acid, vit c& zink and I'm thinking of getting it. Bone broth is too risky for me. Cutting meat and dairy out of my diet cured me of the nasty cysts the type that scar badly and I don't want them back if I reintroduce animal products. Too scared!