Notifications
Clear all

Worth buying derminator?

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/02/2021 4:15 am

Is it worth getting derminator if what I need is subcision and a filler for my rolling/box/scars and texture+tissue loss? Now that I finally have the money for any procedure needed, it is impossible due to a truly dire covid in my country. However, I could get the derminator and do at least something at home in the meantime, but is there a point? Will it improve anything?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/02/2021 5:17 pm

13 hours ago, Pianina said:

Is it worth getting derminator if what I need is subcision and a filler for my rolling/box/scars and texture+tissue loss? Now that I finally have the money for any procedure needed, it is impossible due to a truly dire covid in my country. However, I could get the derminator and do at least something at home in the meantime, but is there a point? Will it improve anything?

It's hard to say before seeing the actual scars. If they're pretty shallow, you could see some improvement from microneedling. But if they're deep enough to need fillersthen, well, no.

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/03/2021 2:02 pm

20 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

It's hard to say before seeing the actual scars. If they're pretty shallow, you could see some improvement from microneedling. But if they're deep enough to need fillers then, well, no.

Some of my scars are pretty deep, others more shallow. A combination of different scars really. 

20200918_134710.jpg

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/03/2021 7:08 pm

5 hours ago, Pianina said:

Some of my scars are pretty deep, others more shallow. A combination of different scars really. 

I need to see shadows. Can you take another pic, this time considering the instruction outlined below?

Angled lighting is an approach used to create a heavy shadow that will accentuate the scar for better evaluation as shown below. This is done by pointing a bright light perpendicular (90-degree) to the angle of the lens. See below.

Also don't shoot so close that it only shows the cheek. Try to include other parts of the face (eg. nose, mouth and/or ear). This will give better perspective of the scar size.

image.png.ceef7ca2fcb2f56e3f1d18f76085e5c4.png

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/04/2021 6:14 am

Here is a picture with shadows,which makes it look horrifying. I am foremost concerned about the area closer to my mouth, as it's most visible one, the area near my ear gets partially covered by hair, so it's not urgent 

Screenshot_20210104-131219_Samsung Internet.jpg

It's the same cheek, just mirrored. The other cheek is not scarred at all 

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/04/2021 10:48 am

Maybe this one is better. It's the same cheek in all photos

20210104_174718.jpg

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/04/2021 5:58 pm

7 hours ago, Pianina said:

Maybe this one is better. It's the same cheek in all photos

Thanks, these photos are much better. As you can see, what looked like rolling scar looks more like a boxcar in a harsh light. What's worse, those scars clearly show identifiable scar edges.

First and foremost, you need to get rid of those edges. Doing that alone will greatly improve the scar appearance. You can do this with either TCA cross or ablative laser. You will need to repeat every 3 months for at least a year, if not more.

Eventually, the edges will soften and the overall appearance will look more rolling scar-ish. At that time, get yourself some dermal fillers to raise the pits.

Pianina liked
MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/04/2021 9:47 pm

3 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

Thanks, these photos are much better. As you can see, what looked like rolling scar looks more like a boxcar in a harsh light. What's worse, those scars clearly show identifiable scar edges.

First and foremost, you need to get rid of those edges. Doing that alone will greatly improve the scar appearance. You can do this with either TCA cross or ablative laser. You will need to repeat every 3 months for at least a year, if not more.

Eventually, the edges will soften and the overall appearance will look more rolling scar-ish. At that time, get yourself some dermal fillers to raise the pits.

Thanks! I always thought subcision was something I need to start with, but you are right, in this lighting myscars look like boxscars mostly. I will try to get a co2 laser done, as I somehow don't trust acids

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/05/2021 12:04 am

2 hours ago, Pianina said:

Thanks! I always thought subcision was something I need to start with, but you are right, in this lighting myscars look like boxscars mostly. I will try to get a co2 laser done, as I somehow don't trust acids

It wouldn't be a bad idea to use both TCA and laser. Be sure the setting for the co2 is low density athigh powerangled at the scar edges.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 01/05/2021 2:42 am

If you get the Derminator, it's to get SOME results (if any), not drastic results. I've read that you have to microneedle for a long time (a year or two) to see satisfactory results provided that your scars aren't that deep. Some people here recommend alternating with TCA peels every month.

Also, getting the Derminator is much more cost effective than getting it done at a doctor's office or med spa. I got it done there and wasted my money.

I got the Derminator II and used it several times which isn't enough to see results. What I did see was redness for up to a week so that's the downside of microneedling. However, I could do the treatment whenever I want and it won't cost hundreds. Cartridges are pretty cheap as well.

My opinion is that subcision and Cross will give you more improvement than microneedling.