Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LegendOfMonkLee

Help with identifying scars and choosing scar treatment

Below are some photos of my skin. I am reasonably certain I have acne scars, specifically in the cheek area, but I do not know under which category my scaring falls (e.g., ice-pick scaring or box scaring). Moreover, I do not know how to resolve the scarring and thereby make my skin look better. If anyone could offer some answers I would really appreciate it. Anything helps because I really don’t want my skin looking as bad as it does in its current state. Thank you! 

Update to Post (Dec 8, 2020): I added new pictures to this post. The initial post contained photos which were ultimately unhelpful. Thanks to those who pointed this out to me—this is my first time taking photos like this. AA941218-C277-4A04-B335-2C226F641797.jpeg.394848816913a4127585296b434c08e2.jpegB7BAC37A-ED4C-447F-9AEF-1C0CD35D2A4A.jpeg.77a621bac2ecc471a26eb603632862bc.jpegA91B81A2-F3B1-4CD0-A3F0-A1D78EAB1413.jpeg.59147a9ed7e7cf5547fc269a010d022b.jpeg55B2AD87-9D73-4F07-8E94-54BB98260107.jpeg.c880456e63f035305c8ed5553e6345aa.jpeg

FAAB98F7-B821-43F0-AD49-EFD87EDC1DDF.jpeg.ea54681eb96892f6456acec39fc16021.jpeg

Edited by LegendOfMonkLee
1 hour ago, LegendOfMonkLee said:

Below are some photos of my skin. I am reasonably certain I have acne scars, specifically in the cheek area, but I do not know under which category my scaring falls (e.g., ice-pick scaring or box scaring). Moreover, I do not know how to resolve the scarring and thereby make my skin look better. If anyone could offer some answers I would really appreciate it. Anything helps because I really don’t want my skin looking as bad as it does in its current state. Thank you! 

They look like boxcar scars but it's hard to tell how deep they are because the pictures are too blurry. 

Please take another picture. However, this time, consider the following instruction:

Consider taking a picture using the angle-lighting approach as shown in the picture below. This will create a heavy shadow that will accentuate the scar for better evaluation. This can be done by pointing a bright light perpendicular (90-degree) to the angle of the lens. So if you're shooting the side of the face, you would point the light from either the front or the back of the face.

Also don't shoot so close that it only shows the cheek. Try to include other parts of the face (eg. nose, mouth and/or ear). This will give better perspective of the scar size.

image.png.e235ad914ccddcb765af7612633aeacc.png

Thank you Sirius Lee! I have taken your advice and added novel photos to the post and taken down most of the original photos. I am unable to capture images using the lighting method you mentioned in your reply, but I hope these new photos give a more accurate and visible representation of my acne scarring. If not, let me know, and I will try again haha. Thanks for your help! 

Edited by LegendOfMonkLee
10 hours ago, LegendOfMonkLee said:

Thank you Sirius Lee! I have taken your advice and added novel photos to the post and taken down most of the original photos. I am unable to capture images using the lighting method you mentioned in your reply, but I hope these new photos give a more accurate and visible representation of my acne scarring. If not, let me know, and I will try again haha. Thanks for your help! 

Thanks for the photos. Unfortunately, I am not able to see much difference. I can see the boxcars and the icepicks, but not much as to their severity. If I were to go solely by those pictures alone, I would say your scars are pretty tame. But something tells me from your writing, they're not what they appear to be.

Maybe others could chime in.