Notifications
Clear all

Are some people more susceptible to stretching of stitches? What are the possible dangers of punch excision?

MemberMember
(@secretstarsupgmail-com)

Posted : 12/03/2020 8:34 am

I want to excise a pore on my left cheek. 8-9 years ago, I excised a mole when I was 11-12 years old. The doc said it would leave a linear scar. However, it stretched, leaving shiny tethered skin which had warts and breakouts and it eventually became okay, but the scar is uneven and stretched nonetheless. Now that I am 19 (and plan on doing the procedure when I am 21), is the same risk of stretching present for a punch excision scar? I am an adult, so my skin will not stretch as much as it did at that time, right?

If any of you have done punch excisions please feel free to share your experiences and pictures of good and bad results. It will help me weigh the pros and cons before getting it done.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/03/2020 9:20 am

Yes, some people are more susceptible to scars stretching or developing wide atrophic scars - Ehlers Danlos etc. Some people (rare) do not really develop visible scars at all according to the human eye.However it is very likely as someone with acne scars your body's healing response and scarring is not the best.Particularly you mention a previous stretched scar from excision somewhere else on your person. It's a gamble. But there are many factors that determine how good scars looks after excision. Direction that the scar is placed, it needs to be parallel to the face's Langer lines. How much is excised - bigger the hole the bigger the increase in tension. The the biggie if you prone to scar stretching is the timing of suture removal. Remove too soon = stretched scar. Remove too late = stitch marks. Add into all that the skill of your plastic/derm in stitching you up. Go consult with a plastic surgeon and see what they say.

MemberMember
(@secretstarsupgmail-com)

Posted : 12/03/2020 12:58 pm

3 hours ago, F1racer said:

Yes, some people are more susceptible to scars stretching or developing wide atrophic scars - Ehlers Danlos etc. Some people (rare) do not really develop visible scars at all according to the human eye.However it is very likely as someone with acne scars your body's healing response and scarring is not the best.Particularly you mention a previous stretched scar from excision somewhere else on your person. It's a gamble. But there are many factors that determine how good scars looks after excision. Direction that the scar is placed, it needs to be parallel to the face's Langer lines. How much is excised - bigger the hole the bigger the increase in tension. The the biggie if you prone to scar stretching is the timing of suture removal. Remove too soon = stretched scar. Remove too late = stitch marks. Add into all that the skill of your plastic/derm in stitching you up. Go consult with a plastic surgeon and see what they say.

Those are some solid points that are worth taking into consideration. Thank you so much. I hope things work out in the end so that I can get the correct treatment!