Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dura-luxe

Doubling up on topical antibiotics

Hey all,

Thanks for your help and advice over the past few months. Now I have one (hopefully final!) question.

I'm into my second month of Yasmin, and aside from the red blotches, my skin has almost totally cleared from my awful reaction to OTC-Lo (worst birth control pill ever). However, I just had *one* cyst left on my cheek below one deeply clogged pore - which I made the mistake of squeezing.

Now I've got a weird, painful red lump below where I squeezed, which is threatening to merge with the last cyst and create one enormous Transformer cyst.

I've been using Clindamycin, but last night I kinda freaked and put a dose of bactroban on it as well.

Is this a terribly bad idea to double up on a topical antibiotic? Anyone else do this?

I've also been on one week's worth of Biaxin (for bronchitis), and I was hoping that might get rid of the last of this nightmare once and for all!

Thanks!!

Since I've had the transformer cysts (as you refer to them and really made me laugh), I know what you're looking at. Doctors often prescribe more than one topical antibiotic so I really don't see how using both would do any damage. If worse comes to worse, you can always call your doctor for a shot of cortisone. It should go down after that within two to three days.

P.S. I am on Yasim for almost two months as well. It does rock!

i'm on the same clinda stuff as you, and it says on the bottle not to put it on more than once at a time, but i never got why...