Notifications
Clear all

Anyone with Asian Skin get a Phenol or "Exoderm" Peel?

MemberMember
(@wombatstaywoke)

Posted : 11/01/2020 12:43 pm

There's this study that I found done on Asian skin (I'm assuming East Asian - Korean/Japanese) but it seems it hasn't been repeated at all despite positive improvements. It sounds hopeful but I'm concerned as my face has been classified as Fitz IV (black/dark brown) while the rest of my body is Fitz III (olive). I'm SouthEast Asian.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1346-8138.2007.00210.x

I am planning to get a phenol peel either end of 2020 or perhaps early next year and go into hiding for a 6 months (lol) because of the willingness to get rid of the remaining acne scarring texture and my long battle of facial hyperpigmentation since childhood. I triedPicosurelaser sometime ago in the Philippines but that didn't produce the reduction in pigment that I was looking for in my "permanent facialtan" for lack of a better term. That and the dermatologist insisted I do 10 treatments across 5-7 weeks apart. I don't have time for that as my cosmetic journey hasreallyaffected my social life.

Has anyone with ethnic skin gotten an adverse effect? If so what physician did you see? Thank you in advance for your replies!

MemberMember
(@phoooo)

Posted : 02/27/2021 7:33 pm

I am East Asian and had Phenol peel done by Dr. Rullan in San Diego back in Dec 2019. Overall, the marks of Phenol peel have mostly faded.

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 02/28/2021 1:23 am

7 hours ago, Phoooo said:

I am East Asian and had Phenol peel done by Dr. Rullan in San Diego back in Dec 2019. Overall, the marks of Phenol peel have mostly faded.

How do you like the results? and when you mention "mostly" are there some marks remaining after 1 year?

MemberMember
(@phoooo)

Posted : 03/03/2021 5:08 pm

The discoloration is barely noticeable but I can def see it up close, thinking about getting hydroquinone or laser though. I am very happy with the result, but note that I first did 5 sessions of Phenol Cross, RF Microneedling and Subcision before the Phenol Peel. It is definitely not a quick process. I would recommend getting an experienced doctor with the peels and have him/her show you the before/after pictures.

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 03/04/2021 12:01 am

6 hours ago, Phoooo said:

The discoloration is barely noticeable but I can def see it up close, thinking about getting hydroquinone or laser though. I am very happy with the result, but note that I first did 5 sessions of Phenol Cross, RF Microneedling and Subcision before the Phenol Peel. It is definitely not a quick process. I would recommend getting an experienced doctor with the peels and have him/her show you the before/after pictures.

How is the phenol peel results compared to the phenol cross/rf/subcision? Is it substantially better?

MemberMember
(@wombatstaywoke)

Posted : 03/04/2021 8:17 am

8 hours ago, gynoscar said:

How is the phenol peel results compared to the phenol cross/rf/subcision? Is it substantially better?

Going in, would you say your face was darker than the rest of your body as expected? I mean, our faces are more exposed to the sun that any other part. My hyperpigmentation is the issue I'm trying to treat more than acne scars at this point haha.

Also, do you think the demarcation line between the face and neck are almost uniform post 3 months or post 7 months like f93d?

MemberMember
(@phoooo)

Posted : 03/04/2021 6:17 pm

18 hours ago, gynoscar said:

Its totally different based on Dr. Rullan explains it. Phenol cross/subcision raised the scars (I mainly have ice picked and box scars) andPhenol peel sand down your face. So after all thesetreatments, my scars would be more uniform/levelwith rest of my face.I definitelysee the biggest gainsfromPhenol peel from an overall complexion and texture improvement perspective. My face was bumpy beforepeeland then it became more smooth post peel.

9 hours ago, wombatstaywoke said:

Going in, would you say your face was darker than the rest of your body as expected? I mean, our faces are more exposed to the sun that any other part. My hyperpigmentation is the issue I'm trying to treat more than acne scars at this point haha.

Also, do you think the demarcation line between the face and neck are almost uniform post 3 months or post 7 months like f93d?

I am not an expert onhyperpigmentation but from my research, Picosure laser will help with that.

My face was still super red after 3 months and I was wearing makeup to cover it up. For me, I didnt go out to pubic without makeup until 7-8 months after the procedures. So COVID was definitely a blessing in disguise for me in 2020.

MemberMember
(@shei514)

Posted : 03/05/2021 10:55 pm

On 3/5/2021 at 12:17 PM, Phoooo said:

Its totally different based on Dr. Rullan explains it. Phenol cross/subcision raised the scars (I mainly have ice picked and box scars) andPhenol peel sand down your face. So after all thesetreatments, my scars would be more uniform/levelwith rest of my face.I definitelysee the biggest gainsfromPhenol peel from an overall complexion and texture improvement perspective. My face was bumpy beforepeeland then it became more smooth post peel.

I am not an expert onhyperpigmentation but from my research, Picosure laser will help with that.

My face was still super red after 3 months and I was wearing makeup to cover it up. For me, I didnt go out to pubic without makeup until 7-8 months after the procedures. So COVID was definitely a blessing in disguise for me in 2020.

Im really interested in this procedure actually I think I have made my mind up at this point. The only thing that gets me is the downtime I have heard varying accounts. How long would you say before you start looking normal? IDGAF about redness I can cover that but I am a little scared.

Do you believe the phenol peel is worth the money?

MemberMember
(@phoooo)

Posted : 03/06/2021 6:28 pm

19 hours ago, shei514 said:

Im really interested in this procedure actually I think I have made my mind up at this point. The only thing that gets me is the downtime I have heard varying accounts. How long would you say before you start looking normal? IDGAF about redness I can cover that but I am a little scared.

Do you believe the phenol peel is worth the money?

It took me about a month to be looking normalish, but I was still super red. Even with some light makeup, my skin was still noticeable red to others.

Yes, Phenol peel was expensive buttotally worth the money for me as it greatly improve my overall skin texture/complexion, even out skin toneand smooth bumps. Note that Phenol peel should be done near the end after the scars have been raised enough.

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 03/06/2021 11:33 pm

5 hours ago, Phoooo said:

It took me about a month to be looking normalish, but I was still super red. Even with some light makeup, my skin was still noticeable red to others.

Yes, Phenol peel was expensive buttotally worth the money for me as it greatly improve my overall skin texture/complexion, even out skin toneand smooth bumps. Note that Phenol peel should be done near the end after the scars have been raised enough.

For scars that's were still depressed, did it do anything for those?

MemberMember
(@phoooo)

Posted : 03/07/2021 9:30 am

9 hours ago, gynoscar said:

For scars that's were still depressed, did it do anything for those?

My Boxcar scars that still exist after subcision treatments may be due to volume loss, I would consider fillers.

MemberMember
(@wombatstaywoke)

Posted : 03/07/2021 10:05 am

15 hours ago, Phoooo said:

Are you full East Asian? I know f93d had this done as well but he's half-Asian so I'm assuming that may have played a role in his healing process and decreasing hyper/hypopigmentation. I currently have a remote position and am looking to take advantage of it before we return back to "normal" and go back in office.

Did they recommend that you use derma blend?

MemberMember
(@phoooo)

Posted : 03/07/2021 6:25 pm

8 hours ago, wombatstaywoke said:

Are you full East Asian? I know f93d had this done as well but he's half-Asian so I'm assuming that may have played a role in his healing process and decreasing hyper/hypopigmentation. I currently have a remote position and am looking to take advantage of it before we return back to "normal" and go back in office.

Did they recommend that you use derma blend?

Yah I am full Chinese.

Yah theyrecommended DermaBlend, they can docolor match for you in the office.

MemberMember
(@wombatstaywoke)

Posted : 03/08/2021 9:34 pm

On 3/7/2021 at 3:25 PM, Phoooo said:

Yah I am full Chinese.

Yah theyrecommended DermaBlend, they can docolor match for you in the office.

Do you happen to have before and after photos? Curious to see how your results turned out.

MemberMember
(@phoooo)

Posted : 03/13/2021 12:07 am

On 3/8/2021 at 9:34 PM, wombatstaywoke said:

Do you happen to have before and after photos? Curious to see how your results turned out. 

After - Left

14 minutes ago, Phoooo said:

The first picture is - After Phenol, left.  

The second picture is Before Phenol - Left

1561538373_Before-Left.JPEG.8135b57f9b41e535039d04fe333c859d.JPEG

MemberMember
(@phoooo)

Posted : 03/13/2021 12:51 am

On 3/8/2021 at 9:34 PM, wombatstaywoke said:

btw I saw posts of you having Infini RF microneedling done, can you share before and after photos?

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 03/13/2021 2:34 am

2 hours ago, Phoooo said:

After - Left

1561538373_Before-Left.JPEG.8135b57f9b41e535039d04fe333c859d.JPEG

can you reupload after? looks like image is broken

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/13/2021 8:25 am

On 3/5/2021 at 12:17 AM, Phoooo said:

Its totally different based on Dr. Rullan explains it. Phenol cross/subcision raised the scars (I mainly have ice picked and box scars) andPhenol peel sand down your face.

Can you tell more about what the deep peel actually does? Sands down the edged of the scars? I've been told that unlike lasers the peel isn't supposed to stimulate collagen. Which of your scars improved the most after the peel, and which not so much?

MemberMember
(@phoooo)

Posted : 03/13/2021 3:50 pm

7 hours ago, Marumi said:

Can you tell more about what the deep peel actually does? Sands down the edged of the scars? I've been told that unlike lasers the peel isn't supposed to stimulate collagen. Which of your scars improved the most after the peel, and which not so much?

the peel overall improves the texture of the skin and make the face more smooth. It also helped with the skin tone as it improves hyperpigmentation from all of the TCA and Phenol cross that I had done.

I like to think thatthe Trio treatments (Phenol cross, subcision and microneedling)raisesthe scars aka fill thepotholes. The peel then smoothes out the skin akaflatten it out. As you can see from the pictures I posted, my face appears bumpy pre-peel and post-peel is more smooth.

13 hours ago, gynoscar said:

can you reupload after? looks like image is broken

weird because I do see the pictures shown properly on my end.

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 03/13/2021 4:08 pm

I only see the before not after

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/13/2021 11:38 pm

7 hours ago, Phoooo said:

the peel overall improves the texture of the skin and make the face more smooth. It also helped with the skin tone as it improves hyperpigmentation from all of the TCA and Phenol cross that I had done.

I like to think thatthe Trio treatments (Phenol cross, subcision and microneedling)raisesthe scars aka fill thepotholes. The peel then smoothes out the skin akaflatten it out. As you can see from the pictures I posted, my face appears bumpy pre-peel and post-peel is more smooth.

weird because I do see the pictures shown properly on my end.

OK. Thanks. If it only improves texture and skin tone, as well as treat hyperpigmentation you might have suffered from other treatments without doing anything for the scars, It is not worth it going through the painful procedure and the long recovery.

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 03/14/2021 2:10 pm

14 hours ago, Marumi said:

OK. Thanks. If it only improves texture and skin tone, as well as treat hyperpigmentation you might have suffered from other treatments without doing anything for the scars, It is not worth it going through the painful procedure and the long recovery.

Now that I think of it, I think this peel is only 35-50% phenol vs 80% phenol for Dr. Rullan's phenol cross. If the 80% cross wouldn't raise the scars, I doubt the lower percentage peel will.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/14/2021 3:17 pm

1 hour ago, gynoscar said:

Now that I think of it, I think this peel is only 35-50% phenol vs 80% phenol for Dr. Rullan's phenol cross. If the 80% cross wouldn't raise the scars, I doubt the lower percentage peel will.

The 80% phenol cross does raise the ice picks and the narrow boxcars after a few treatment sessions though.

What I don't quite understand is how exactly the deep peel would improve atrophic box cars or rolling scars. A guy who is considering getting the deep phenol peel with Rullan and already had a consult with him was very kind to share things Rullan told him and according to Rullan the peel doesn't stimulate much collagen. So it's interesting how it's supposed to improve severe scars.

MemberMember
(@wombatstaywoke)

Posted : 03/14/2021 8:07 pm

4 hours ago, Marumi said:

The 80% phenol cross does raise the ice picks and the narrow boxcars after a few treatment sessions though.

What I don't quite understand is how exactly the deep peel would improve atrophic box cars or rolling scars. A guy who is considering getting the deep phenol peel with Rullan and already had a consult with him was very kind to share things Rullan told him and according to Rullan the peel doesn't stimulate much collagen. So it's interesting how it's supposed to improve severe scars.

It can improve severe scars but it should be used after multiple manual procedures have been done. If you look upf93don this forum you'll see from his journey the results he had were phenomenal. He said in his final review post 7 months that the scars were almost gone but that much of the collagen formation was probably from past procedures.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/14/2021 11:26 pm

3 hours ago, wombatstaywoke said:

It can improve severe scars but it should be used after multiple manual procedures have been done. If you look upf93don this forum you'll see from his journey the results he had were phenomenal. He said in his final review post 7 months that the scars were almost gone but that much of the collagen formation was probably from past procedures.

I have been told it can improve severe scarring too but my question is HOW exactly? With subcision we know - it cuts through tethers and stimulates collagen. TCA/Phenol cross fill the pits after a series of treatments. Lasers ablate and also stimulate collagen to even the skin out. How does the deep peel improve the scars?

Yes, f93d was pleased with the deep phenol peel but as you said yourself he had done so many manual treatments and Infini and fillers before that so it's difficult to know what attributed mostly to his improvement, or at least you cannot give him as an example of improvementfrom the peel. Still great improvement overall though.

If the deep peel improves the scarring by improving texture and tone as a final polish and by sorting any hyperpigmentation from other treatments out, then for me personally it would not be an option because there are other less intense procedures you can have for these issues.