Notifications
Clear all

How long should I wait after filler treatment

MemberMember
(@jack817)

Posted : 10/21/2020 1:07 pm

Hi All,

I've received two filler treatments in the end of Sept and I was wondering how long should I wait before the next laser and subcision treatment?

Currently I have them scheduled on Nov 16th, which is 1.5 month after the filler treatments. Do you think it is safe to have those treatments at that time and will those treatments affect the filler?

FYI, my filler is HA based, and I don'tknow if it matters or not.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 10/21/2020 3:50 pm

2 hours ago, Jack817 said:

Hi All,

I've received two filler treatments in the end of Sept and I was wondering how long should I wait before the next laser and subcision treatment? 

Currently I have them scheduled on Nov 16th, which is 1.5 month after the filler treatments. Do you think it is safe to have those treatments at that time and will those treatments affect the filler?

FYI, my filler is HA based, and I don't know if it matters or not.

It depends. Most people get filler right after subcision to prevent retethering (eg. "spacer") In that case, the filler is usually placed superficially just beneath the scar. In such a case, laser or RF will damage the filler. Another subcision can also create filler migration.

However, if the filler is injected as a volumizer, then it's usually injected in the deep reticular dermis (see below). Laser and RF should not have any effect on the filler. Subcision, however, can pose a problem with possible filler migration. It's always best to get subcision before dermal filler or wait until the previous filler is exhausted, which can be anywhere from 6-24 months depending on the filler used.

Consider the following, published by Davin Lim:

image.png.292adff63599fea6f9692675d0fb4311.png

MemberMember
(@jack817)

Posted : 10/21/2020 4:56 pm

Hi. @Sirius Lee, thanks for your response.

I think my filler is injected superficially, so you think the laser will damage the filler in this case? and when you mention the damage, do you mean the filler will be degraded?

I've asked the same question to my derm, and he has told me the filler won't be affected, but I'm not sure about that since if the filler is degraded somehow, I will have to pay for another syringe...

What I don't understand is that people always suggests to have laser treatment after fillers since filler will bring up the surface as much as possible, and the laser treatment will be more efficient. If the laser damages the filler, then should we do the laser than the filler?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 10/21/2020 5:19 pm

13 minutes ago, Jack817 said:

I think my filler is injected superficially, so you think the laser will damage the filler in this case? and when you mention the damage, do you mean the filler will be degraded?

The filler can possibly meltwhen it comes in contact with the laser.However, there are those who claim that filler can survive no matter where it's injected. But as they say, when in doubt, err on the side of caution.

20 minutes ago, Jack817 said:

What I don't understand is that people always suggests to have laser treatment after fillers since filler will bring up the surface as much as possible, and the laser treatment will be more efficient. If the laser damages the filler, then should we do the laser than the filler?

I used to think that way as well. But that's the old-school thinking. Now I find that it's more effective to treat the scar edgefirst, then volumize.