Notifications
Clear all

Should I get this expensive treatment?

MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 10/05/2020 11:45 pm

Long story short, I had a consultation for Dr. Rullan, and a combo treatment of Cross, Pixel laser, and subcision was recommended. Total cost was $1750.

Has anyone had this treatment? Was it worth the cost?

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@friendlyasf)

Posted : 10/07/2020 4:19 pm

Do you mind if I ask how much is the subcision with dr rullan

MemberMember
(@anon09299)

Posted : 10/07/2020 5:38 pm

I have had it recently. It was my first and I have seen maybe a 5-10% difference. It was only 6 weeks ago so hopefully I see more as time goes on but I am also not expecting to see anything drastic for at least 3-5 more treatments.

Subcisionalone was quoted at $1250 for me.

Starlite liked
MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 10/08/2020 12:54 pm

19 hours ago, anon09299 said:

I have had it recently. It was my first and I have seen maybe a 5-10% difference. It was only 6 weeks ago so hopefully I see more as time goes on but I am also not expecting to see anything drastic for at least 3-5 more treatments.

Subcisionalone was quoted at $1250 for me.

Thank you for letting me know! Honestly, those are the results I saw from subcision alone. Just so you know, you can probably get subcision for cheaper. Usually, I paid around $500. Subcision combined with laser was typically around $1000. Amy told me that Dr. Rullan has a special way of treating the scarring, so perhaps it's worth it in the future.

My main concern was treating ice pick scarring anyway, so I'll keep looking for someone who specializes in TCA cross. Actually, I could do it myself, I just thought it would be safer to have a professional do it.

Thank you!!

MemberMember
(@anon09299)

Posted : 10/08/2020 8:49 pm

7 hours ago, Starlite said:

Thank you for letting me know! Honestly, those are the results I saw from subcision alone. Just so you know, you can probably get subcision for cheaper. Usually, I paid around $500. Subcision combined with laser was typically around $1000. Amy told me that Dr. Rullan has a special way of treating the scarring, so perhaps it's worth it in the future.

My main concern was treating ice pick scarring anyway, so I'll keep looking for someone who specializes in TCA cross. Actually, I could do it myself, I just thought it would be safer to have a professional do it.

Thank you!!

I did have the trio fyi although replace laser with microneedling. I don't have too much ice pick scaring although Rullan does specialize in Phenol cross so it may be worth it to inquire about getting just that. I have heard the price was much cheaper a few years ago but I guess demand has increased. I am planning to get atleast 3 treatments from Rullan and I will assess after if I should continue.

Starlite liked
MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 10/08/2020 10:42 pm

1 hour ago, anon09299 said:

I did have the trio fyi although replace laser with microneedling. I don't have too much ice pick scaring although Rullan does specialize in Phenol cross so it may be worth it to inquire about getting just that. I have heard the price was much cheaper a few years ago but I guess demand has increased. I am planning to get atleast 3 treatments from Rullan and I will assess after if I should continue.

Oh yeah, I know. I got a quote back in 2015 and he charged $300 for subcision. Maybe hes making most of his money off acne scarring treatments now. He used to really push the full phenol peels that were $6k.

Im scared to try phenol cross because some people in this forum said it made their scars less shallow but wider. I havent heard of TCA causing this reaction.

thank you!!

MemberMember
(@miro)

Posted : 10/09/2020 2:00 am

3 hours ago, Starlite said:

Oh yeah, I know. I got a quote back in 2015 and he charged $300 for subcision. Maybe hes making most of his money off acne scarring treatments now. He used to really push the full phenol peels that were $6k.

Im scared to try phenol cross because some people in this forum said it made their scars less shallow but wider. I havent heard of TCA causing this reaction.

thank you!!

TCA cross is supposed to have more of this accidents of making scars wider , phenol cross less or practicaly not At All

MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 10/09/2020 2:31 am

30 minutes ago, Miro said:

TCA cross is supposed to have more of this accidents of making scars wider , phenol cross less or practicaly not At All

Supposedly.

facial liked
MemberMember
(@anon09299)

Posted : 10/09/2020 9:46 am

Agreeing with Miro. I have heard the exact opposite. Many of the posts I have read claim Phenol cross is a much safer alternative to TCA with the widening complication. That being said I am sure both have some risk. Although I have no deep icepicks I haven't noticed any complications with the Phenol treatment I received including no hyperpigmentation which I was more concerned with given I have Asian skin.

MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 10/11/2020 12:41 am

On 10/9/2020 at 7:46 AM, anon09299 said:

Agreeing with Miro. I have heard the exact opposite. Many of the posts I have read claim Phenol cross is a much safer alternative to TCA with the widening complication. That being said I am sure both have some risk. Although I have no deep icepicks I haven't noticed any complications with the Phenol treatment I received including no hyperpigmentation which I was more concerned with given I have Asian skin.

The scar widening and becoming more shallow is actually fairly common with resurfacing treatments, atleast in my experience. Example, after getting subcision, lasers, peels, my boxcar scar is wider and more superficial. I'm still not happy about that though because the borders of the scar are still apparent. I wish I could go back in time with some money and get the boxcar taken care of through some kind of extraction process.

My point is, maybe there's something to be said about treating ice pick scars with a method that's aggressive but typically provides positive results. Excision treatments can also be f'ed up. Any scar treatment comes with risks.

MemberMember
(@miro)

Posted : 10/11/2020 6:38 am

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/286647211_A_comparative_study_of_the_efficacy_and_safety_of_100_TCA_CROSS_and_phenol_CROSS_for_atrophic_acne_scarring

However there was someone on forum that wrote that he had scar widening even with Phenol croos performed by Dr Rulan.