Notifications
Clear all

Flaky skin only on scars?

MemberMember
(@rosinsky404gmail-com)

Posted : 10/03/2020 4:36 am

Lately just the areas of scarred skin on my face have been getting flaky, and in some of my dent scars i™m getting almost tiny zits around the edges? Most of my scarring is pretty textural overall, but it™s still pretty significant. 

I haven™t changed my routine lately but i™ve been on a retinoid (tret and then aklief gel) for nearly 8 months now consistently, and have been on spiro and bc pills for about 2.5 to 3 months to control my acne from a bad reaction to a birth control. My scars are pretty recent but like.. older than 3 months recent.

I have some raised acne scars which have kind of evened out a little in the past month as well. It™s all still there but they do seem less raised and defined a little bit. At night I can feel those scars and some of my other ones tingle or twitch a bit? Not sure how to describe it. I™ve been taking pictures and can tell the raised scars really do seem a slightly better.

And the past few weeks my scars have started flaking and everything else I had said before. 

I can™t tell if it™s related to the meds/topicals or what™s causing it... maybe the weather?

I don™t know if the flakiness is related at all to the slow improvements my raised scars have had.

Has anyone ever had a retinol help your scars? I™ve heard it can take over 6 months to see a change with that. And I know boosted cell turnover makes your skin flaky...

Are my scars just starting to remodel after a period of time? Am I totally crazy, or is it nothing? Could they be getting better or do I just have dry skin? lol

I don™t really know what™s going on with this. I can™t really find anything at all about this experience elsewhere online. This is kind of a vent of things running through my head; but I also wish I knew what it meant. I hate how isolating dealing with scars can feel. :(

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 10/03/2020 3:22 pm

It just means that your skin is healing. Same thing when you're on retiinoid. Try to keep it as moist as possible.

MemberMember
(@rosinsky404gmail-com)

Posted : 10/04/2020 12:39 am

11 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

It just means that your skin is healing. Same thing when you're on retiinoid. Try to keep it as moist as possible.

Cool, thanks! Someone I havent seen in like a month actuallytold me my scarslooked better today, so I know its not in my head!

Is there anything else I cando to help my skin through this period? I want to help my skin heal as much as possible.

Is it bad to exfoliate or shouldI just moisturize a lot? I use a glycolic face wash sometimes when I need it- but is it better to leave it completely alone whenit flakes? Should I be using an occlusive?