Notifications
Clear all

Have my scars worsened after TCA Cross??

MemberMember
(@secretstarsupgmail-com)

Posted : 09/27/2020 11:51 am

1 (19F) have a super deep and easily noticeable dilated pore on my left cheek. I consulted my dermatologist about it and she recommended I go ahead with TCA Cross. I heard pretty good things about it so I was not worried. 

She used a rather thick toothpick. As she tried to reach the base of the scar with its tip, the edges, also soaked with TCA, touched my surrounding skin and has depressed it, making the scar look much wider. It has been 4 weeks since then. The scar is now more noticeable as she has burnt of the surrounding skin, plus, I see no improvement in the initial depth. I had terrible self-esteem before, now, I really do not know how to make myself happy or confident in any possible way.

Is such widening of the scar normal? Will the scar's appearance improve over the next few months? Or did my dermas's carelessness cause me more trouble than good?

Please advise me on what to do, I am suffering.

I have attached a before and after picture of the scar so you get a better idea. Although, the photos do not do justice to the widening that has occurred

Before:

352042738_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at10_14_34PM.jpeg.75473ec95ce91a2e6a83fbeb9ac4e2f8.jpeg

After:

467516938_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at10_14.34PM-2.jpeg.b512c0bc9eb5f7b982b4be798f8d45e2.jpeg1381081359_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at10_15_24PM.jpeg.c4149cebeb8cabb4520984fccaae1671.jpeg

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 09/27/2020 2:00 pm

It usually gets worse in the first 4 weeks before turning out better. TCA can in fact widen scar, although not always, but due to redness, the scar can appear worse than it really is. To make a realistic assessment, you should wait until the redness fades.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/28/2020 5:09 am

15 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

It usually gets worse in the first 4 weeks before turning out better. TCA can in fact widen scar, although not always, but due to redness, the scar can appear worse than it really is. To make a realistic assessment, you should wait until the redness fades.

Does the widening persist or does it heal over time?

MemberMember

Posted : 09/28/2020 5:25 am

@beautifulambitionPlease reply to this post, I'm desperate to know if there is a way out. Will the TCA Cross treatment I had 4 weeks prior continue to show results in months to come?

The widening has been caused by acid spillage or misplacement of acid due to the thick shaft of the toothpick. Will that tea overtime?

MemberMember
(@candy-says)

Posted : 09/28/2020 5:27 am

17 hours ago, terribleesteem said:

I really do not know how to make myself happy or confident in any possible way.

your scars are not as bad as you think. Really. very super mild.

As about this particular scar, Iam sure people over there will give you some great advices. But touching surrounding skin is not good, tbh. Dont worry, you will fix it.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 09/28/2020 1:10 pm

8 hours ago, terribleesteem said:

Does the widening persist or does it heal over time?

Unfortunately, scars that widen usually remain that way. However, there is a silver lining. The scar widens and flattens (eg. becomes shallower) at the same time. All in all, scars continue to change over 3 months, albeit gradually, so I suggest you wait and see.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/28/2020 1:36 pm

25 minutes ago, Sirius Lee said:

Unfortunately, scars that widen usually remain that way. However, there is a silver lining. The scar widens and flattens (eg. becomes shallower) at the same time. All in all, scars continue to change over 3 months, albeit gradually, so I suggest you wait and see.

Okay, I will take your word for it and try to stay positive :)

Xanger1 liked
MemberMember
(@xanger1)

Posted : 10/22/2020 11:16 pm

On 9/27/2020 at 12:51 PM, terribleesteem said:

1 (19F) have a super deep and easily noticeable dilated pore on my left cheek. I consulted my dermatologist about it and she recommended I go ahead with TCA Cross. I heard pretty good things about it so I was not worried. 

She used a rather thick toothpick. As she tried to reach the base of the scar with its tip, the edges, also soaked with TCA, touched my surrounding skin and has depressed it, making the scar look much wider. It has been 4 weeks since then. The scar is now more noticeable as she has burnt of the surrounding skin, plus, I see no improvement in the initial depth. I had terrible self-esteem before, now, I really do not know how to make myself happy or confident in any possible way.

Is such widening of the scar normal? Will the scar's appearance improve over the next few months? Or did my dermas's carelessness cause me more trouble than good?

Please advise me on what to do, I am suffering.

I have attached a before and after picture of the scar so you get a better idea. Although, the photos do not do justice to the widening that has occurred

Before:

352042738_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at10_14_34PM.jpeg.75473ec95ce91a2e6a83fbeb9ac4e2f8.jpeg

After:

467516938_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at10_14.34PM-2.jpeg.b512c0bc9eb5f7b982b4be798f8d45e2.jpeg1381081359_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at10_15_24PM.jpeg.c4149cebeb8cabb4520984fccaae1671.jpeg

Hey, I got TcA cross done 3 weeks ago and I believe many  of my scars got worse. I™m really scared. Can you update on your progress? Did they fill in recently? I™m so scared that I ruined my scars with this procedure!

MemberMember

Posted : 10/23/2020 7:07 am

7 hours ago, Xanger1 said:

Hey, I got TcA cross done 3 weeks ago and I believe manyof my scars got worse. Im really scared. Can you update on your progress? Did they fill in recently? Im so scared that I ruined my scars with this procedure!

My dilated pore has not gotten any shallower, honestly, don't even think the dermatologist even reached the base of the pore. As for the widening on top, there might be the slightest improvement in terms of shallowing. But the overall look has not improved and it still looks as wide as it did when I posted this topic. I really just hope things get better, and if possible, go back to how the scar was pre-treatment.

As for the PIE though, I feel it has reduced a bit, still present but not as potent.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/23/2020 9:05 am

But, yeah, the results that people advertise on the net, even after one session - those are not the results I got. I legit found the side of the Internet that talks about the down time or the worsening due to the procedure only after I got it done.

I realise I have been to impatient. But I know that without trying the procedure out, I would always be curious and think I will be better off after I get the treatment. But I am only 19, I should have waited.

MemberMember

Posted : 11/03/2020 2:31 pm

On 10/23/2020 at 9:46 AM, Xanger1 said:

Hey, I got TcA cross done 3 weeks ago and I believe manyof my scars got worse. Im really scared. Can you update on your progress? Did they fill in recently? Im so scared that I ruined my scars with this procedure!

Hey, do you have any updates about your scar? Have they gotten any better?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 11/03/2020 4:00 pm

On 10/23/2020 at 7:05 AM, terribleesteem said:

I realise I have been to impatient. But I know that without trying the procedure out, I would always be curious and think I will be better off after I get the treatment. But I am only 19, I should have waited.

Are you noticing any improvement? Can you update us with new pics?

MemberMember

Posted : 11/04/2020 7:02 am

14 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

Are you noticing any improvement? Can you update us with new pics?

All I can see is maybe a fading in redness. Nothing else. Here are the pictures 2 months after

2076576821_WhatsAppImage2020-11-04at5_28.24PM-3.jpeg.123b8e289ac565138eaf29df825eb09e.jpeg309819348_WhatsAppImage2020-11-04at5_28_24PM.jpeg.3aa196e26b9f58d94494d830d31817d3.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-04 at 5.28.24 PM-2.jpeg

@Sirius Lee have you seen/hear of such results before? Do you think there is any scope for improvement in the coming months?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 11/04/2020 2:30 pm

7 hours ago, terribleesteem said:

@Sirius Lee have you seen/hear of such results before? Do you think there is any scope for improvement in the coming months?

Is this the same scar as the one in the first post? It appears that the scar looks slightly better than before, SLIGHTLY WIDER BUT LESS DEEP. However, I do notice the surrounding scars have improved a lot. Anyway, as I've stated before, it's irrational to think you can get the result you want in one treatment. If the doctor told you that, then you should fire him or her.

You will need more treatments. My suggestion is come next month, repeat TCA at 70%. The lower we bring down TCA, less the chance for scar widening. Let's see how much this will elevate the scar pit. You might need to subcise if there's any tethering.

MemberMember

Posted : 12/02/2020 1:10 am

Okay, this is going to be a 3-month update. Now that the PIE has cleared up, I can clearly see the scar.

Pre-treatment

Before, the scar was a 1-2mm wide, deep, bottomless pore. I had picked and squeezed it multiple times, leading the skin around it to clot up and be picked out by me again and again. This left a slight circular depressed scararound the scarred pore.

Post-treatment (3 mo)

The pore itself shows little to no improvement. maybe, just maybe the actual pore has gotten 10% shallower. The ring scar around persists, of course. Additionally, now. Due to the faulty technique, the ring scar has been further deepened on one side and caused a rounded crater next to the scar. This is because the acid touched the surrounding skin as it rested on my skin. So now the scar looks slightly worse off, only slightly.

Conclusion

Throughout this period, the scar has caused me great anxiety and I keep trying to accept it. there have been good days whereI think it looks like a normal mole of sorts. On other days I think it looks hideous and that no one will want to talk to me. Sitting at home and brooding over this scar and my scarred face has triggered problems that I hope a psychiatrist can help me with.

The face is a very scary place to get cosmetic procedures done as the face is what the world judges you on.

I look forward to seeing further improvement (if possible) in the next one year. After that, I plan on excision the whole thing. It comes with its on risks, but I hope any resulting scar will still look better than a circular depression and actual hole on my face.

MemberMember

Posted : 12/02/2020 1:26 am

On 10/23/2020 at 9:46 AM, Xanger1 said:

Hey I have given my update above^

All in all, the inflammation of the initial scar is fine and there is no more PIE. However, there is a new pitted scar on the surrounding skin that doesn't seem to be healing.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 12/03/2020 3:37 am

12 hours ago, can i get a new life please said:

:( i have a 9 10 of these. Yours just 1 pore excise and thats it, dont worry please. 

This may be a beneficial option but it comes with risks, of course.

Excising a scar means you're "exchanging" a scar for a better scar. Please do thorough research. Some doctors will do a punch excision and others (I'd say more skilled) will do an elliptical cut. Then they stitch up the area and hope that the result is a small linear scar. Then you can do laser treatments, peels, etc. but the main thing is that the scar is flatter.

I've seen really good and some bad results. I've had several done - one ended up great and two didn't end up that good. However, after numerous treatments of Cross, laser treatments, and a few other minor procedures, the two bad ones got better.

Because the scar is in the front of your face, please don't hastily make a decision. 

MemberMember

Posted : 12/03/2020 8:20 am

4 hours ago, Amanda Hall said:

This may be a beneficial option but it comes with risks, of course.

Excising a scar means you're "exchanging" a scar for a better scar. Please do thorough research. Some doctors will do a punch excision and others (I'd say more skilled) will do an elliptical cut. Then they stitch up the area and hope that the result is a small linear scar. Then you can do laser treatments, peels, etc. but the main thing is that the scar is flatter.

I've seen really good and some bad results. I've had several done - one ended up great and two didn't end up that good. However, after numerous treatments of Cross, laser treatments, and a few other minor procedures, the two bad ones got better.

Because the scar is in the front of your face, please don't hastily make a decision.

Could you tell me in what way they turned out bad? What kind of scars had you treated with excision? and could you showpictures of your scars and how they have improved?

It would be beneficial for me to be able to gather enough info about others' experiences with the procedure so that I can accurately way the pros and cons.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 12/03/2020 6:37 pm

10 hours ago, terribleesteem said:

Could you tell me in what way they turned out bad? What kind of scars had you treated with excision? and could you showpictures of your scars and how they have improved?

It would be beneficial for me to be able to gather enough info about others' experiences with the procedure so that I can accurately way the pros and cons.

Two were large boxcar scars that I didn't like. They are much bigger than yours. The linear scars from the excisions were wider than I thought so they really bothered me when I got them. One took years and different treatments (including CO2 laser) to improve. When you do an excision, you have to be prepared for a new scar - you just hope that it's better. Sometimes it doesn't turn out that way. No pictures.

The other one I did which was a biopsy, turned out great. most people can't see the scar.

Excision results depend on where the cut is made and the doctor, of course. But still, they can be unpredictable. However, they can alter a scar more than what TCA, lasers, needles, and peels can do.

MemberMember

Posted : 12/04/2020 2:53 am

8 hours ago, Amanda Hall said:

Two were large boxcar scars that I didn't like. They are much bigger than yours. The linear scars from the excisions were wider than I thought so they really bothered me when I got them. One took years and different treatments (including CO2 laser) to improve. When you do an excision, you have to be prepared for a new scar - you just hope that it's better. Sometimes it doesn't turn out that way. No pictures.

The other one I did which was a biopsy, turned out great. most people can't see the scar.

Excision results depend on where the cut is made and the doctor, of course. But still, they can be unpredictable. However, they can alter a scar more than what TCA, lasers, needles, and peels can do.

Ahh! So the ones that turned out bad were done with a scalpel. I plan on getting it punched out by a biopsy tool. Hopefully that works well.

MemberMember
(@acnescarguy)

Posted : 12/05/2020 11:20 am

Do you have oily skin?

I had 100% TCA cross applied using tooth pick, and the result wasn't as expected because it left a dent instead. I researched and this is the result of oily skin type.

I fixed it by having multiple application of 15% TCA cross instead and it is slowly filling up.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 12/06/2020 2:56 am

On 12/3/2020 at 11:53 PM, terribleesteem said:

Ahh! So the ones that turned out bad were done with a scalpel. I plan on getting it punched out by a biopsy tool. Hopefully that works well.

All were done with a scalpel. Punch excisions may not be the best although I have seen some good results with them. Your scar looks smaller than mine so you may see better results. Consult a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has extensive experience doing this stuff.

MemberMember
(@aestheticseeker)

Posted : 12/11/2020 2:53 am

On 12/4/2020 at 2:53 AM, terribleesteem said:

Before bothering to excise it I would get erbium done with a 4mm spot size withpulse stacking

get on hydroquinone and start lightening your face as much as possible as it will serve you right doing tca or lasers... your skin will never be anywhere close to 100% perfect unless you do full field resurfacing (100% density)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/11/2020 5:14 am

@rodman55 You seem to have gone on a posting spree giving people extremely over detailed information regarding pulse stacking, and duration. Are you a doctor masquerading on the forum and dissing your competitors?Novak's rubbish, Weiner's rubbish etc. You're recommending fully ablative resurfacing and the taylor liberator, two incredibly unpredictable methods that don't even show that high of a reward. Highly likely you are doctor that practices these. To all others in this thread I would be wary of this poster's advice.

MemberMember

Posted : 12/11/2020 10:09 am

On 12/5/2020 at 9:50 PM, AcneScarGuy said:

Do you have oily skin?

I had 100% TCA cross applied using tooth pick, and the result wasn't as expected because it left a dent instead. I researched and this is the result of oily skin type.

I fixed it by having multiple application of 15% TCA cross instead and it is slowly filling up.

Oh this seems like a helpful tip. I do have very oily skin. I don't understand why doctors do not inform us about these things beforehand.

Are you applying the 15% TCA by your self? If yes, what is your method and what kind of scar are you treating?