Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cool.username

Has anyone gone to Dr. Shanthala in Peabody, MA?

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking about going to Dr. Shanthala as she is the only MD in my area to offer subcision for my deep acne scars.

However she is not a dermatologist or a surgeon, she is an anesthesiologist. Also, I can't seem to find any before and after photos from her specifically for subcision, but her review are good and she has videos of subcision procedure on Facebook, just no before and after photos.

Also, her office wants to schedule only procedures without consultation, basically like a mini consultation right before the procedure instead, which seems kind of weird. 

I was hoping someone here had a good experience with her doing subcision?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven’t, but in my opinion, reviews and before/afters can only get you so far. You don’t know what’s actually true and what’s doctored.
 

To me, a consultation will provide a lot more insight. Arm yourself with info that you find here and from other sources, and then ask a lot of questions. Like how often does this person perform the procedure? Why is this treatment better than another type? If they give convincing answers, you will have a better idea of the doctor’s skill. Also, the fact that they have a video of the procedure is promising.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, squeezeMcQueen said:

I haven’t, but in my opinion, reviews and before/afters can only get you so far. You don’t know what’s actually true and what’s doctored.
 

To me, a consultation will provide a lot more insight. Arm yourself with info that you find here and from other sources, and then ask a lot of questions. Like how often does this person perform the procedure? Why is this treatment better than another type? If they give convincing answers, you will have a better idea of the doctor’s skill. Also, the fact that they have a video of the procedure is promising.

Thank you for your advice. So do you think I should demand a consultation or just ask the questions before the procedure like her office suggests?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Cool.username said:

Thank you for your advice. So do you think I should demand a consultation or just ask the questions before the procedure like her office suggests?

I think whatever time is necessary to make you feel comfortable. If you feel you can evaluate the doctor moments before the procedure, then you can do that. Or if you want more time to think about the answers, then try to get a consultation separate from the procedure.

Also, another option would be to ask the questions to the doctor over the phone. There would be no assessment of your scars, but it would give you the verbal information I think is valuable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mass guy here.  Have considered using her for years.  Basically one of the only in the area I felt comfortable with.  I TRULY believe she does her research.  I know she is a heavy follower of Dr weiner and that she is constantly following the best procedures. That being said I think the past few years has spiked the amount of doctors who will perform subcision so there may be other options around the area.

As far as i'm aware she does not do that many acne scar patients compared to doctors who specialize in mainly acne scars.  If you have scars on your cheeks, etc I say go for it.  She told me she probably wouldn't do my temple region.

 

 

If it's for cheek subcision with filler, tca cross, and rf microneedling you are probably safe.  That being said I have decided that when I finally decide to start treatment I will be flying out to see Rullan.

 

 


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2020 at 10:21 PM, thepwhisp said:

Mass guy here.  Have considered using her for years.  Basically one of the only in the area I felt comfortable with.  I TRULY believe she does her research.  I know she is a heavy follower of Dr weiner and that she is constantly following the best procedures. That being said I think the past few years has spiked the amount of doctors who will perform subcision so there may be other options around the area.

As far as i'm aware she does not do that many acne scar patients compared to doctors who specialize in mainly acne scars.  If you have scars on your cheeks, etc I say go for it.  She told me she probably wouldn't do my temple region.

 

 

If it's for cheek subcision with filler, tca cross, and rf microneedling you are probably safe.  That being said I have decided that when I finally decide to start treatment I will be flying out to see Rullan.

 

 


 

 

Yep. Actually I called her and she said she wouldn't do temples so I'm looking at going to NYC now unfortunately. Most of my scars are at my temples. I think since she is not a derm or a surgeon she doesn't do anything that has any risk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×