Notifications
Clear all

Injecting Cystic Acne with Botox

MemberMember
(@acnescargone)

Posted : 09/14/2020 11:23 am

Helloeveryone,

Illgo straight to the point here:

A couple of years ago, I developed some cystson my face that I desperatelyneeded toget taken care of.

I immediately went to see adermatologist and insisted on getting both injected with hydrocortisone (This was my veryfirst time). The dermatologist, was initially hesitant, and informed that she was out of Triamcinolone Vials. After much insistence, she reluctantly agreed and mentioned she just realized that she had some left over from either a Botox treatment or had some Botox solution left over (I cant recall exactly).

Anyhow, she went ahead and injected the solution into both cysts. Though, both cysts did subside significantly, they remainedextremely dry and discolored for many months (PIH).

24 months on, I still see dents/ scars on both Injected sites.

Myquestion is, could the derm have injected with me Botox instead ofTriamcinolone? If yes, could this have possibly caused the scarring? Would a cyst still leave a scar after having been injected with hydrocortisone?

MemberMember
(@evavskoalagmail-com)

Posted : 09/14/2020 7:22 pm

I got a dented scar on a site where i had a hydrocortisone shot. I'm still not very sure if tge scar was caused by the shot or cystic acne itself though.If it's caused by hydrocortisone shot it willmost likely get back to normal after 6 monthsbut mine didn't...I had to get a subcision+fillers for that.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 09/14/2020 10:51 pm

A dent or a crater is pretty common occurrence with cortisone shots, at least from all the rants that's been written on this board. If you have a crater like the one below, you will need rely on dermal filler.

You Want To See Cortisone Dent - Page 29 - Scar treatments - Acne.org

MemberMember
(@acnescargone)

Posted : 09/15/2020 7:49 am

Thank you for responding. Could she have injected me with Botox? Is this normal/ ever used? If no, could this have caused the dent? The dent no longer looks like that ofa typicalhydrocortisone shot. Look more like an acne scar now if anything.

Also, is it difficult for some derms to accurately target a specific acne scar? Is this a rare skill possessed only by some derms? Or could I get this done my any reputable derm?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 09/15/2020 2:56 pm

Honestly, I have no idea. Botox issupposed to slow the oil production, thereby prevent acne from forming (as if oil is all that matters). But if your scar looks and feels like an acne scar, it probably is. A dent left in the aftermath of a cortisone shot looks more like the one in the picture, eg. wide but smooth.

7 hours ago, Acnescargone said:

Also, is it difficult for some derms to accurately target a specific acne scar? Is this a rare skill possessed only by some derms? Or could I get this done my any reputable derm?

I need to see the scar first. Some scars are relatively easy to treat whereas others are nearly impossible.