Notifications
Clear all

Is retin-a worth it?

MemberMember
(@mp28)

Posted : 09/02/2020 12:47 am

Rullan mentioned using retin-a occasionally in order to stimulate collagen rather than peel myskin.Is it worth using a couple times a week or am I never going to see a real result for textural scarring?

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 09/02/2020 2:23 am

1 hour ago, MP28 said:

Rullan mentioned using retin-a occasionally in order to stimulate collagen rather than peel myskin.Is it worth using a couple times a week or am I never going to see a real result for textural scarring?

For extremely superficial stuff, sure, if you use it long enough. If we're talking about scars, I highly doubt it.

The reason people see Dr. Rullan is that they have deeper scars, not just superficial blemishes. Retin-A isn't going to do anything for noticeable scars.I do believe that retinoids will improve the skin slightly over many, many months but if you're going to see Dr. Rullan, chances are that the scars you're worried about are deeper than what Retin-A can fix.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/02/2020 5:03 am

4 hours ago, MP28 said:

Definitely worth it for me to control acne break outs, and to smooth small imprerfections out. It does improve my complexion bacause it stimulates cell turn over but as the Amanda said, don't expect miracles for your scars

MemberMember
(@mp28)

Posted : 09/02/2020 4:24 pm

13 hours ago, Amanda Hall said:

For extremely superficial stuff, sure, if you use it long enough. If we're talking about scars, I highly doubt it.

The reason people see Dr. Rullan is that they have deeper scars, not just superficial blemishes. Retin-A isn't going to do anything for noticeable scars.I do believe that retinoids will improve the skin slightly over many, many months but if you're going to see Dr. Rullan, chances are that the scars you're worried about are deeper than what Retin-A can fix.

Well I do have more atrophicscars I am seeing Rullan for, however i have other problem areas with much more shallow, yet textured and pigmented scarring. What is a good thing to add to my skin care routine? Right now I just use agentle cleanser and a moisturizer. Should I be doing peels, retin-a, or just let it be? While there is some true scarring in these areas I would be content with just improving texture and lightening the skin.

thanks!

MemberMember
(@skin-pessimist)

Posted : 09/02/2020 6:08 pm

15 hours ago, Amanda Hall said:

I agree that tretinoin is mainly helpful for superficial scars, but according to studies it also helps with ice pick scars.

To the OP: Tretinoin isn't a miracle treatment for acne scars, but it's good in conjunction with other treatments. It also helps skin quality in general. If you can afford the Retin-A prescription, it's a good idea

MemberMember
(@jack817)

Posted : 09/02/2020 10:09 pm

You can take a look at this one https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6439800 , which says Tazaorac has similar outcome comparing to micro needling.

We found significant improvement in baseline acne scar severity following treatment with tazarotene that was comparable to the improvement following microneedling therapy, the active control. Adverse effects were minimal with both treatment options. Hence, tazarotene gel, 0.1%, would be a useful alternative to microneedling in the management of atrophic acne scars. Such a home-based medical management option for acne scarring may decrease physician dependence and health care expenditures for patients with postacne scarring.

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 09/02/2020 11:19 pm

For redness maybe. For actual indented scars, no.

MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 09/04/2020 1:38 pm

For texture and itneeds to be 0.05%+ to see results. It's been quite effective for me, although the "retinization" period was apparent and made it look worse for some time.