Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SteveBrown

Acne: a curse and a blessing

I've been thinking about the role of acne in my life. In my youth, it caused me embarrassment, self-consciousness, shyness, anxiety, and lack of self-confidence. In adulthood, it was an intermittent problem that seemed to flare up at the worst possible times. While acne has not left any physical scars, I am sure it has left psychological scars. In that sense, acne has been a curse. On the other hand, I feel that dealing with the anxiety of acne may have strengthened my character, leaving me less vulnerable.

But more importantly, acne has forced me to adopt a strictly healthy lifestyle. The very things that enable me to prevent acne, such as healthy diet, getting enough exercise and sleep, avoidance of smoking and liquor, are also the things that promote longevity, prevent diabetes, obesity, cancer, and heart disease. At the age of 55, I well appreciate the benefits of being vigorous, healthy, and having a youthful appearance.

The bane of acne has enforced upon me a Spartan self-discipline from which I derive great benefit. I've wondered how the selective adaptation of evolution could have allowed the susceptibility to acne to have been passed down genetically, from one generation to the next. The conclusion I've reached is that acne actually promotes long-term survival in those who recognize and learn to avoid those unhealthy things that cause acne. Those who are not prone to acne are less motivated to avoid an unhealthy lifestyle. They are more likely to become obese, diabetic, and to drop dead of a heart attack. That may help to explain the observed phenomenon that fat people seldom appear to be afflicted by acne. Their non-susceptibility to acne is not to be envied.

So, while acne in the short term is a horrible waking nightmare, in the long term, acne may be a blessing to those who heed the warning signs.

That's a nice way of looking at it. My problem is that I developed acne at 25 IN SPITE OF a very healthy diet, drinking lots of water, daily yoga, a healthy relationship.... low stress. I was working on an organic farm.... free veggies, nice boss, lots of fresh air, exercise, sunshine. Still got it. Of course, I still believe in a healthy diet, but I have to say, "What the hell?"

WHo the fuk cares weather u live till 80 or not? wtf r u gonna do then? roll around in a fuken wheel chair all day. WHat a stupid ass point, life is about youth and being able to enjoy EVERYTHING don't ever fuken say acne is a good thing, because it's horrible in every single shape or form.

you can always feel youthful inside... cmon, wheel chairs are fun.

actually acne has strenghtened my character as well. made me lose like 20 pounds, and I always love a good challange. Althought i have waaaaaay more acne than i need, i guess there is a good side to it.,

check out my gallery, page 17 on members gallery. you can see how bad my acne is, and im stilling hangin on

Most 'old' people that I know say being young is the best part of your life.

Cheer up matey and enjoy your life while you can that pisses my off cause I can't cheer up, Acne is different now then It was 20,30 years ago when you were a teen.

It may make you stronger in the future but for now it's not a good thing it ruins lives.

SteveBrown---

If you were left with the horrible disfigurement of acne SCARS

that some(most) of us have to endure for a lifetime

You may not think that acne was such a blessing in disguise... sad.gif

Although I have lead a healthy lifestyle.. my life has been forever

changed by acne and now the SCARS that I have to endure on a daily basis...

and FOREVER.

Even after over 15K of corrective surgery...

On some days I look in the mirror

and hope that I dont live another day longer...in this hell.

I value your opinion but... IMO God blessed you...You have no scars...

It made you stronger and I am Very Happy for you...

But, You my friend are just one of the lucky few...

Happy Holidays!... Bonnie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for BenKweller ---

You are young, my son, and as the years go by, time will change, and even reverse many of your present opinions.

Refrain therefore, awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters. ---PLATO (428-347 B.C.)

I am trying very hard to like you Ben, your the type of person who likes to stir up the pot, at times so am I ...

BUT, this was the final straw for me and I cannot be silent any longer...

Almost every time I start reading posts.. there you are....

Once again..with your snotty and sarcastic remarks...Sheesh!!! If you have nothing nice to say...

why dont you PLEASE head Plato's advice....!!!

Happy Holidays to you too, Ben.

It has nothing to do with nothing having something nice to say. I was simply reaffirming the first post -- any kind of disability can make people stronger and appreciate life more. Someone responded with, in paraphrase, "Being old sucks! Who cares about being strong later?? W000T!!" I think our generation is really bad with delaying gratification.

So I don't see your point. I think one of the most rewarding parts in life must be when you're old enough to be able to devote though to things besides getting laid and looking nice.

It's an interesting spectrum of opinion this thread has spawned.

thekid: Stupid ass point? You have a lot to learn about interacting with people. At present, only the present matters to you. However, when you turn 50, you will be singing a different tune, I am sure.

thor: Acne is no different now from what it was 30 years ago. A zit is a zit. The sight of zits on one's face when one looks in the mirror has always been a horrifying sight, the cause of major anxiety. Perhaps mirrors are part of the problem; they're everywhere, and we spend a lot of time in front of them. I think that in the days before mirrors were invented, having acne was not such a stressful experience. Your enemies might have called you "pizza face," but not your friends. What you see when you look in the mirror is not necessarily what others see. What you see is a horrible, ugly, huge disfigurement. What others see is a few common zits, and they tend not to focus on them. Instead, others look you in the eyes and interact with you as a person. Most people are not unthinking, uncaring mirrors. A cheerful disposition or sparkling personality diverts attention away from skin problems.

nodoubt: You have my sympathy about acne scars. I've had a few acne scars, but they eventually faded away with time. A scar is nothing to be ashamed of. Some movie and TV actors have visible acne scars. It seems to give their faces character, sort of a badge of honor that marks them as veterans of the acne wars, which they have survived, strengthened in self-discipline and character.

I tend to disagree with you, Mr Brown. A great many things happen in life that strengthen character, and often times, during life’s most difficult periods, what a person most needs to come through well - and when I say well I mean in an advantageous position - is strength. Few challenges we face in modern life will kill us if we fail at them, but failure at a particular moment (or moments) can reduce considerably the quality of life for years to come.

For a young person, the years from ages 15 to 35 are very important. The peer group they feel comfortable with. The ability to concentrate on external problems and challenges. The ability to feel strong enough to take certain risks - or to take another risk reasonably soon after failing hard. These things are all profoundly effected by acne if it is severe enough. No offense, but when you get to be 55 you have already shot your load. You have the family you’ve made, you’ve gone about as far in business as your going to go, and if you’ve done reasonably well in these and other things you’re content. Also, aging is a chemical and hormonal process, in a decade or so you will begin to lose your fitness and health regardless of how well you take care of yourself. You may have avoided some habit related diseases (and I respect fitness and so let me laud you on you accomplishments), but your biological program will kill you anyway.

There was a person on this list of posts who came at you rather rudely, and that is unfortunate. But the idea that The Kid lives in the moment and Steve Brown doesn’t is muddle headed thinking. Steve Brown is currently content in the moment and The Kid isn’t. That’s all. Both live in the moment. One has no money, no status, no girlfriend (a guess) and very little control over his own life, and needs to impress and prove to older people that he is worthwhile in order to find a good place in the future... this one also has very bad acne. The other has a senior position in business, a house and car, a wife and family, and has very few people to impress in order to keep his many acquisitions gathered around him... his acne is a memory. I’ll let you guess who is who.

I challenge you to tell Noduobt the names of all the female actors who have bad acne scars.

I respect the idea that challenges build character. But that which does not kill us sometimes does not make us stronger, instead it cripples us. Our lives our finite, we spend the little time we are given on our obligations and beyond that on ourselves and those we care about. That most of that time should, for some, be blighted by open infections on their faces is not necessarily a character building experience.

I am trying very hard to like you Ben, your the type of person who likes to stir up the pot, at times so am I ...

nodoubt -- normally I get just as wound up by Ben as anyone, but on this occasion, I think you may have misread his post. I took it as him defending the original poster (a novel enough occurrence in itself) -- sure, it could have been done more politely, but then, "thekid" wasn't being particularly polite either...

Jack, the fact remains that avoiding acne keeps me on a healthy diet and lifestyle. That was my main point.

I don't know of any female actors who have acne scars, but I reject the notion that nodoubt should not be inspired by men with acne scars who make a name for themselves in the world. If nodoubt has a good personality and attractive body, acne scars should not be an impediment to her having a rewarding relationship with a man. I would be perfectly willing to overlook acne scars if all the other desirable attributes are present in a woman. What is an acne scar anyway? It is just a shallow depression in the skin, not a horrible disfigurement.

What about what I wrote about mirrors?

SteveBrown, it's great that you can find something positive about acne, but personally, I'd prefer to just be one of those people who can eat whatever they like without it affecting my health wink.gif

As for whether or not acne is a greater issue for women rather than men -- well, my perspective is that it definitely is. Soft smooth skin is part of the essence of feminity -- men can get away with being a bit craggy and still be considered good looking, but for women "craggy" just doesn't work.

Having said that, acne of course isn't a complete barrier to a finding a partner. It does matter, just as anything affecting your looks matters (yeah yeah, I know we're all told that looks don't matter but somehow the prom queen is always the stunning blonde with the killer figure and not the spotty fat chick). But, having said that, I've had acne since I was 11 and I was never short of boyfriends as a teenager (even Britney Spears has bad acne, and it doesn't seen to turn the men off too much -- presumably her partners have been able to see her without her makeup on, and they didn't suddenly dump her because of it wink.gif )

SteveBrown, it's great that you can find something positive about acne, but personally, I'd prefer to just be one of those people who can eat whatever they like without it affecting my health wink.gif

Doberwoman (interesting name),

If I knew it wouldn't affect my health, nor give me acne, nor cause me to gain weight, I'd eat a whole box of chocolates. But that isn't the case, so after a meal, I may have five or six dates, which are not only sweet and delicious, but rich in potassium.

I think women have an idea of how they should look, which borders on absolute, barbie-doll perfection, and men have an idea of how women should look, which gives women a lot of latitude for imperfection. If everything else about a woman's personality and appearance are attractive, then I would consider acne scars to be superficial and inconsequential. Probably a lot of other men would agree.

I wish I could change it now.  When I registered, there was a user on another messageboard with the screen name "DobermansKnowtTheyAreCool" -- I just really liked that screenname, but it seemed like stealing just to directly take it so I modified it to "Doberwoman" -- but now it seems to me that maybe it sounds like I'm calling myself a dog, so I wish I could change it because that definitely isn't how I feel about myself!  smile.gif

Geez are you kidding me? Acne has sccrewed up my life.

Social anxiety and long term depression where I can barely do stuff people can do normally.

It screwed me up good

ANd these scars I have all over won't ever go away. Thats really gonna make me feel good when I'm 55

Geez are you kidding me? Acne has sccrewed up my life.

Social anxiety and long term depression where I can barely do stuff people can do normally.

It screwed me up good

ANd these scars I have all over won't ever go away. Thats really gonna make me feel good when I'm 55

I think SteveBrown makes an excellent point. Having acne inspired my interest in Natural Medicine, and I will soon be a registered ND. Further to that, it has forced to to focus on developing my personality rather than just relying on looks (which is easy, and which a LOT of girls do). It has also made me live a healthier lifestyle that I'm sure will add many healthy years to my life (not to mention the fact that I'll look younger longer, what with having cut out sugar, smoking, booze AND having naturally oily skin).

As for female celebrities with acne/acne scars: Liz Hurley, Cameron Diaz and Britney Spears, for example. Liz Hurley used to have horrible cyctic acne, and Cameron Diaz and Britney Spears both still have bad breakouts. And Cameron's in her 30's!!

I apologize to all those who are physically scarred by acne. I should have been mindful that some on this board have suffered far worse acne than I ever have.

I dont know why everyone gets so heated about this Browns opinion...I think he is just trying to give insight on the situation...his post is very true in my opinion...my acne did make me a stronger person mentally. He just trying to make people feel better about themselves by presenting a arguement that normally doesnt come out. My condition doesnt seem so bad anymore. Thanks Brown and keep it up. eusa_angel.gif