Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neihrick

Fluoride causing acne? - add thoughts

most of the country (60%-65%) have fluoridated water. If you wash your face (with tap water), you'll be putting it on your skin. Fluoride has been said to cause acne as well. Maybe this is why so many people have a problem with acne and cant wash it away.

I believe this. I mean there are so many different elements that react certain ways and so on and so forth. Why couldn't one of them aggrivate acne?

This is discouraging though...... eusa_think.gif

Might be something to that... but my guess is that there would also be other factors contributing to it too.

I sort of live out in the country where i'm at, and we only have around five houses per every mile of road. We use a ground well for our water, which i'm pretty sure has no fluoride in it... but my acne is still terrible.

I did take fluoride pills when younger for my teeth, but that has been 10-15 years ago. I don't think it would linger in your body that long.

i read about this a while ago ,and aparently demi moore or some one uses evian water to wash her face!!!!!! expensive way to go! although im sure not for demi!!!!

its cameron diaz that does that, she has awful skin apparently, uses 4 bottles a day! which country are you talking about? i live in the uk, do i have flouride?

Strange but I've been thinking that perhaps water is the main culprit for my acne.

You see, about 2 years ago, we installed a watering filtering system on my faucet. At about the same time, I've noticed that I got more zits than usual. I was usually very zit-free before this happened. I'll probably get a zit every six months or so. Not like today where I get a new zit or two every week.

I've been thinking that perhaps it's in my water or something. I've experimented and stopped using water from my faucet. I now use purified water on my face. I haven't seen any new zits crop up though. I mean, at this point, I should have a new zit but I don't have a new zit yet this week. Perhaps it's in the water or perhaps it is not. But one thing is for sure, I'll stop using tap water from now on.

Maybe it's my filtering system. I haven't changed the filter yet for over a year. The filter isn't sold in stores anymore. And also as an extra precaution, even though it causes dry skin, I use isopropyl alcohol to cleanse my hands before I touch my face. Acne is caused by bacteria. Perhaps by trying to stop contamination or the bacteria from contaminating other parts of my face, then it's relatively going to help calm my acne.

I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.

most of the country (60%-65%) have fluoridated water.  If you wash your face (with tap water), you'll be putting it on your skin.  Fluoride has been said to cause acne as well.  Maybe this is why so many people have a problem with acne and cant wash it away.

i live in the uk, do i have flouride?

Yep.. we get fluoride in our water. They throw it in there to help make teeth stronger.. only problem is, if you get too much of it, it can mess your teeth up!

Fluoride's in toothpaste too.. so maybe it's a bad idea to wash your face with toothpaste tongue.gif

test, i dont think it affects you orally. I've read complaints about clogged pores around the mouth from brushing teeth.

Well, last summer I moved out with a friend, and during the 3 months I lived with him my skin went from being mildly acne prone, but looking clear with makeup, to being horrific. I was so acnified i went to the doc twice but he couldnt tell me what was wrong. When I moved home 3 mths later my skin cleared again. I can only think that it was the new water that my skin reacted to?

Sure... fluoridated water doesn't just make you break out, it's also an international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids!!!

(end sarcasm)