Notifications
Clear all

Who has successfully used azelaic acid?

MemberMember
(@mboona)

Posted : 08/16/2020 4:34 pm

Has everyone used azelaic acid to help with cystic acne? Is it better than benzoyl peroxide? I am thinking about adding the ordinary 10% to my routine every other day to keep my monthly chin pimple away. Any thoughts?

MemberMember
(@nouchka98)

Posted : 08/16/2020 8:07 pm

Azelaic acid is a really mild exfoliant which makes it ideal for people with sensitive skin but it is has alsoanti microbial properties. It is mostly helpful for people with rosacea and acne rosacea ( google it on the internet). If your acne is truly cystic, you could not see any drastic difference and benefit more from retinoids ( retinol, differin, or retin a fromthe dermatologist) along with you bp or from internal medications. Also try zinc supplements and low vitamin a, maybe probiotics, no dairy and low carb diet it could only buy help a little bit internaly.

Vika88 liked
MemberMember
(@dilyana-cvetkovaweb-de)

Posted : 09/28/2020 11:46 pm

On 8/17/2020 at 3:07 AM, Nouchka98 said:

Azelaic acid is a really mild exfoliant which makes it ideal for people with sensitive skin but it is has alsoanti microbial properties. It is mostly helpful for people with rosacea and acne rosacea ( google it on the internet). If your acne is truly cystic, you could not see any drastic difference and benefit more from retinoids ( retinol, differin, or retin a fromthe dermatologist) along with you bp or from internal medications. Also try zinc supplements and low vitamin a, maybe probiotics, no dairy and low carb diet it could only buy help a little bit internaly.

Hey, what could I try if I have mild rosacea and cannot seem to tolerate azelaic acid? I've been using it for a week now and it burns when I apply it to the skin and I have the feeling it irritates my skin more than it helps. Any ideas?

MemberMember
(@nouchka98)

Posted : 09/30/2020 5:48 pm

Any exfoliants, even mild one can irritate your skin. You can try to use a good layer of oil free moisturiser (very important) like the facetheory supergel m3 before your azelaic acid to act like a "buffer" and slowly increase the frequency, starting once/twice a week. Azelaic acid has shown to be the best activefor rosacea and acne rosacea when tolerated. That why it is often prescribed by dermatologist before anything else.Otherwiseavoid any strong actives like acids and retinols during that time, choose a sulfate free cleanser like the cerave hydrating one. Sulfur is an other active that has been shown to help with rosacea. I would suggest the de la cruz 5% sulfur ointment used as a mask before 10-15 min before rinsing. Use less if irritation occurs. High histamine food have also been linked to exacerbate rosecea so limit: fermented diary and vegetables, pickles or pickled veggies, sausages, salami, alcohol, tomatoes, eggplants, spinach, vinegar etc.

On 9/29/2020 at 6:46 AM, Vika88 said:

Hey, what could I try if I have mild rosacea and cannot seem to tolerate azelaic acid? I've been using it for a week now and it burns when I apply it to the skin and I have the feeling it irritates my skin more than it helps. Any ideas?

Vika88 liked
MemberMember

Posted : 10/01/2020 4:37 am

10 hours ago, Nouchka98 said:

Any exfoliants, even mild one can irritate your skin. You can try to use a good layer of oil free moisturiser (very important) like the facetheory supergel m3 before your azelaic acid to act like a "buffer" and slowly increase the frequency, starting once/twice a week. Azelaic acid has shown to be the best activefor rosacea and acne rosacea when tolerated. That why it is often prescribed by dermatologist before anything else.Otherwiseavoid any strong actives like acids and retinols during that time, choose a sulfate free cleanser like the cerave hydrating one. Sulfur is an other active that has been shown to help with rosacea. I would suggest the de la cruz 5% sulfur ointment used as a mask before 10-15 min before rinsing. Use less if irritation occurs. High histamine food have also been linked to exacerbate rosecea so limit: fermented diary and vegetables, pickles or pickled veggies, sausages, salami, alcohol, tomatoes, eggplants, spinach, vinegar etc.

Thank you so much for the advice!! I use only Cerave products that are well toletated by the skin. Only very clean products with less ingredients. I seem to tolerate Azelaic acid better now. Still a bit of burning and a bit of rosiness but no redness :)) i'll try this sulfur mask you recommended. I didn't know sulfur can help. I'm vegan 🙂 no cheese, no nothing. And I've cut out all foods that can trigger rosacea even tomatoes and avocados and apple cider vinegar. It's so tough....anyway, thanks a lot. You seem to give good advice! Do you know if IPL or Regenlite laser is better for rosacea? I'm considering of having one of those.

MemberMember
(@nouchka98)

Posted : 10/01/2020 4:15 pm

Laser is better for rosacea. For broken capillaries, they are the only option. Excel V and v beam lasers seem to be the best. I have only one excel V and got really good results. Planning to do one more session but worth the money.

Just now, Nouchka98 said:

Laser is better for rosacea. For broken capillaries, they are the only option. Excel V and v beam lasers seem to be the best. I have only one excel V and got really good results. Planning to do one more session but worth the money.

11 hours ago, Vika88 said:

Thank you so much for the advice!! I use only Cerave products that are well toletated by the skin. Only very clean products with less ingredients. I seem to tolerate Azelaic acid better now. Still a bit of burning and a bit of rosiness but no redness :)) i'll try this sulfur mask you recommended. I didn't know sulfur can help. I'm vegan 🙂 no cheese, no nothing. And I've cut out all foods that can trigger rosacea even tomatoes and avocados and apple cider vinegar. It's so tough....anyway, thanks a lot. You seem to give good advice! Do you know if IPL or Regenlite laser is better for rosacea? I'm considering of having one of those.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/04/2020 9:02 am

On 10/1/2020 at 11:15 PM, Nouchka98 said:

thanks. i'm planning on getting vbeam laser because my skin is better but I still have this pinkish colour on the front of my cheeks.