Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WhiteMinnow

Okay, so what next?

Hello all,

I'm a 26 year old woman and I have moderate acne which started around a year and a half ago. I came off the contraceptive pill and my acne started roughly six months after. For this reason, and being female, the fact that my acne is around my jawline, leads me to believe its hormonal. I also get deep cystic spots on my shoulder blades and down my spine. I don't have other symptoms that lead me to believe I have an underlying condition, my weight is average, my periods are relatively regular, I don't think I've noticed a pattern about my acne appearing worse during certain times in my cycle. 

I try to take it in my stride, but I was badly bullied for my skin when I was a teenager and I feel like I'm reliving that pain. I don't know what else I can try to help alleviate it, I'm going to make a list and if anyone else has any suggestions, please reply!

Hygiene routine

- Vitamin E cleanser twice a day

- Benzoyl peroxide 2.5% twice a day for 6 weeks and have moved up to 5% in the last week. Slight improvement on redness and I went spot-free for a few days this week, but today I've broken out with at least five deep cystic spots. 

- Followed by jojoba oil as it doesn't block pores but hydrates the skin so I'm not causing irritation through dryness

- BHA and AHA peel twice a week

- I rarely wear makeup, perhaps once a week or fortnight 

Diet 

- Vegan and have been for a few years, so no meat, eggs or dairy. High vegetable intake, at least five portions a day, sometimes up to eight. 

- I tried a low glycemic loading diet (low carb, low sugar) for around 3 weeks but it got so restrictive that I stopped and I hadn't seen any improvements. I probably eat too much sugar, but my diet is fairly low in carbs. I can't see restricting sugar will greatly impact me, and hasn't when I've previously tried. 

- Eat a combination of seeds and nuts several times a week for good fats and omegas. Try to incorporate gut-health foods such as homemade sauerkraut and miso paste when I can. 

- Currently drinking two cups of green tea a day, plus liquorice root and peppermint tea once a day (meant to balance hormones). Topical application of green tea (slapping a teabag on my face for a bit). Rarely drink coffee. 

Supplementation

- Six weeks of L-lysine

- Two month course of pro-biotics a few months ago, and started a new course last week for gut health, along with black walnut capsules for two months for anti-parasitic properties

- Three/four months of omega-3 tablets 

- Two months zinc, magnesium and calcium

- Two months general multi-vit, high levels of vitamin A  

I really don't want to use hormonal remedies. I was relieved to get off the pill after a decade and am not willing to go back on it for the sake of my skin, despite how much emotional pain it causes me. 

I was considering going to my GP to get a blood test to see if I have a hormone imbalance, but I keep reading really conflicting things online about tests and how useful they are, plus I've not seen much information about how to even balance your hormones afterwards if there was a problem. I don't have access to a naturopath (they're not much of a thing in the UK). 

Sorry, I know that's a lot to give you. I'm just starting to really get down over this and feel like I've run out of options. 

Try spearmint tea instead of peppermint. There was also a post earlier on here about how slowly getting off of birth control helps ease the transition and lessen acne. It was something like taking half a pill every other day for a little while, then half a pill every day, then every other day etc. 

14 hours ago, hlp334 said:

Try spearmint tea instead of peppermint. There was also a post earlier on here about how slowly getting off of birth control helps ease the transition and lessen acne. It was something like taking half a pill every other day for a little while, then half a pill every day, then every other day etc. 

Thanks for your reply. I will try a different mint but I'm not sure it will help too much. 

I've been off the pill for nearly two years now, so that's not something I can do. But thank you!