Notifications
Clear all

Indented Forehead Scar (stitches at 4, please help!)

MemberMember
(@mcdonald-mnmgmail-com)

Posted : 08/07/2020 3:11 am

Hello all

I™ve decided to share some photos of my indented forehead scar from an accidental run in with a birdbath around age 4. I™m 21 now, and due to the scar being indented, it affects the way I do makeup, the way I wear my hair, not to mention I™m also on stage often so the lighting gives it away every time. In becoming more disciplined with my facial skin care routine, and coming to realize how much of an annoyance this scar is, even if I had the stitches around age 4, is there any kind of treatment that would help me to diminish the way it looks? Absolutely anything is appreciated. I just want to be able to put my best face forward. Thank you. 

767B802E-1420-4646-8D99-7C25FBB81CB0.jpeg.8f53c2f2fa7e738b89a54d5787d497b1.jpeg 

93E82181-3611-4EF2-82C0-526D540D749F.jpeg

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 08/08/2020 3:11 pm

On 8/7/2020 at 1:11 AM, mlynnsa said:

Hello all

I™ve decided to share some photos of my indented forehead scar from an accidental run in with a birdbath around age 4. I™m 21 now, and due to the scar being indented, it affects the way I do makeup, the way I wear my hair, not to mention I™m also on stage often so the lighting gives it away every time. In becoming more disciplined with my facial skin care routine, and coming to realize how much of an annoyance this scar is, even if I had the stitches around age 4, is there any kind of treatment that would help me to diminish the way it looks? Absolutely anything is appreciated. I just want to be able to put my best face forward. Thank you. 

Sorry to hear about your accident! It's an unfortunate part of life but let's look positively towards a solution. :)

My suggestion would be subcision first. This would break apart the scar bands from that divot. Check out videos on YouTube. Here's one but keep in mind that the result is with filler as well:

.Fillers would definitely help but they are costly long-term. I've heard they last between 6 months and 2 years so think about the cost there. Bellafill is a semi-permanent filler but don't just jump into this. A number of doctors vouch for its safety and use them on scars. However, I've heard some doctors say it will migrate. But the long-term cost is better than the other fillers. Some doctors will advise that you try temporary fillers to see if you like the improvement before moving on to permanent fillers.

I don't believe lasers will do much at the beginning stages when your scar is deep. You should consider them when it is more filled in.

Scar revision is also another option. You can actually get a great result but keep in mind that you're trading in a scar for a scar. In almost all cases I've seen, the new scar is much better. There are exceptions though. With your skin type (fair and light) I think the result will be good because you won't have the pigmentation issues after revision. Also, lasers after revision can smooth it out more. 

Please let me know if I can help you out further!

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 08/09/2020 3:35 pm

On 8/7/2020 at 1:11 AM, mlynnsa said:

Ive decided to share some photos of my indentedforehead scar from an accidental run inwith a birdbatharound age 4. Im 21 now, and due to the scar being indented, itaffects the way I do makeup, the way I wear my hair, not to mention Im also on stage often so the lightinggives it away every time. In becoming more disciplined with my facial skin care routine, and coming to realizehow much of an annoyancethis scar is, even if I had the stitches around age 4,is there any kind of treatment that would help me to diminish the way it looks? Absolutelyanything is appreciated. I just want to be able to put my best face forward. Thank you.

The problem is that forehead, having the thinnest skin, is resistant to treatment. Subcision rarely ever works. You could go with fillers, but it's a high-risk area that can potentially lead to blindness. My suggestion is TCA, preferably 70% or higher spaced out to every 3 months. You will need at least 3 applications. This will widen the scar as much as possible so that it nearly flattens with the rest of the forehead.

MemberMember
(@mcdonald-mnmgmail-com)

Posted : 08/19/2020 3:01 am

On 8/9/2020 at 3:35 PM, Sirius Lee said:

The problem is that forehead, having the thinnest skin, is resistant to treatment. Subcision rarely ever works. You could go with fillers, but it's a high-risk area that can potentially lead to blindness. My suggestion is TCA, preferably 70% or higher spaced out to every 3 months. You will need at least 3 applications. This will widen the scar as much as possible so that it nearly flattens with the rest of the forehead.

Im super unfamiliar with any type of treatment, what would TCA entail and whats the general cost for that kind of treatment? Especially if Im doing multiple applications, if its something I gotta save up for.

Also, if this treatment widensthe scar, does that mean in the end I have a larger area ofdiscoloration on the skin, itsjust more evened out texturally? Thanks for your response I really appreciate it.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 08/19/2020 1:13 pm

9 hours ago, mlynnsa said:

what would TCA entail and what™s the general cost for that kind of treatment? Especially if I™m doing multiple applications, if it™s something I gotta save up for.  

The following videos are for illustration purpose only and the cost is just an estimate. The cost factor heavily depends on the number of scars to be treated. Obviously, more scars you have, more expensive it will be. Also if you receive treatment in California or New York, you'll be paying way more than anywhere else. 

image.png.7eff7b69de78b3fb74c46d0d30766456.png

10 hours ago, mlynnsa said:

Also, if this treatment widens the scar, does that mean in the end I have a larger area of discoloration on the skin, it™s just more evened out texturally? Thanks for your response I really appreciate it. 

Not all scars will widen. But they become flatter over time. Discoloration is pretty temporary so no need to worry too much.

MemberMember
(@candy-says)

Posted : 08/19/2020 1:29 pm

@Sirius Leewhy would you treat this scar with TCA?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 08/19/2020 3:41 pm

1 hour ago, Candy Says said:

@Sirius Leewhy would you treat this scar with TCA?

I know, it sounds counterintuitive. TCA Cross should only beused for deep icepick scars, right? But in comparison to other treatments like Subcision, laser, andRF microneedling, which I consider as failures when it comes to the forehead (just read all the testimonials from the previousposters), TCA is far superior. In fact, I know it works because I can see it with my own eyes. A lot of my own forehead scars, some of which are wide boxcars, have gotten better over the last 2 years. Furthermore, why waste a ton of money (seriously, Infini costs $1000 per treatment) for useless treatments? TCA costs a fraction andit won't drain your emotional and financial resources even if the final result if merely negligible.

malia02 liked
MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 08/20/2020 10:14 am

18 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

I know, it sounds counterintuitive. TCA Cross should only beused for deep icepick scars, right? But in comparison to other treatments like Subcision, laser, andRF microneedling, which I consider as failures when it comes to the forehead (just read all the testimonials from the previousposters), TCA is far superior. In fact, I know it works because I can see it with my own eyes. A lot of my own forehead scars, some of which are wide boxcars, have gotten better over the last 2 years. Furthermore, why waste a ton of money (seriously, Infini costs $1000 per treatment) for useless treatments? TCA costs a fraction andit won't drain your emotional and financial resources even if the final result if merely negligible.

Thanks for the info on subcision on the forehead. I guess I see it now - all of the subcision videos done are mostly on the cheeks. Dr. Rullan did it on my temple and there were no issues.

I've done Infini and I wouldn't recommend it for that scar. Infini (two treatments) didn't really do anything for my cheeks, by the way.

I will defer to the more experienced people like Sirius Lee for this scar. However, when your scar is flatter and more raised, I suggest a laser treatment to smooth it out. I had a shallow round-like boxcar that was noticeable at certain angles that was improved by fractional CO2. After one treatment, I feel like I don't need another. But you need to get to this point first with other methods.

malia02 liked
MemberMember
(@mcdonald-mnmgmail-com)

Posted : 08/31/2020 4:01 pm

On 8/19/2020 at 3:41 PM, Sirius Lee said:

I know the forehead is a very tricky and also dangerous place to treat. Any thoughts or possibilities on the use of LED red light therapy to regenerate cells and boost collagen production on a scar like mine?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 08/31/2020 6:00 pm

1 hour ago, mlynnsa said:

I know the forehead is a very tricky and also dangerous place to treat. Any thoughts or possibilities on the use of LED red light therapy to regenerate cells and boost collagen production on a scar like mine?

Unfortunately not.It might work for wrinkles but not scars.

If you're wary of any invasive treatments, I suggest you get a dermal filler. In fact, unlike acne scars, your scar is a good candidate for filler. Start with hyaluronic filler like Juvederm, which will last around 6-9 months. If you like the result, move to a permanent filler like Bellafill, which will help stimulate your own collagen. Anyway, give it a shot.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 09/01/2020 2:30 am

10 hours ago, mlynnsa said:

I doubt that will do anything. Your scar is moderately deep so you need strong treatments. Nothing that is non-ablative will noticeably improve your scar so don't waste money there.