Notifications
Clear all

PDO Threads for Scars

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 08/05/2020 12:11 am

Has anyone ever had PDO threads inserted for indented scars? I have had success with fillers in the past, but there are some scars which have been very problematic for me. In some scars, the fillers that are injected do not stay put and have a tendency to extrude and donut around the scar. I have seen videos where some practices have started to insert threads in scars to fill the scars.

I'm thinking this might help with my resistant scars because the threads are not a gel, so they cannot shift. In particular I have some linear scars that seem like they would be candidates for this.

That said, if anyone has any real world experience with threads for acne scars, can you please share? Do they cause issues or don't work at all?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/05/2020 1:46 am

1 hour ago, dazzed said:

Has anyone ever had PDO threads inserted for indented scars? I have had success with fillers in the past, but there are some scars which have been very problematic for me. In some scars, the fillers that are injected do not stay put and have a tendency to extrude and donut around the scar. I have seen videos where some practices have started to insert threads in scars to fill the scars.

I'm thinking this might help with my resistant scars because the threads are not a gel, so they cannot shift. In particular I have some linear scars that seem like they would be candidates for this.

That said, if anyone has any real world experience with threads for acne scars, can you please share? Do they cause issues or don't work at all?

I've had 4 threads inserted underindended scarring as my doctor was trying these out and the treatment was for free.I wasn't impressed at all. The effect was minimal to non-existant. But then, my scarring is severe. Maybe in some milder scars they could work. Then last year I asked my doctor again in a few threads here and there could improve the overall appearance of my scarring and what I could expect as a result. He was honest enough to tell me that the improvement would be only very slight. I opted against because of this and the treatment being very expensive( 1x is like 50-60 and you need multiple pro area)and it's only temporary solution. But that's my experience. Maybe for others this treatment could help.

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 08/05/2020 10:59 am

Thanks, that's exactly the type of info I needed. I was mostly interested in the PLLA threads because they're essentially made out of the same material as Sculptra and cause the body to create collagen / scar tissue around the material and create volume. Not sure what kind you got. You're right, each thread is pretty thin and tiny so 4 probably wouldn'tdo much if you have severe scars because you would need a ton of them. Obviously that would be very cost prohibitive at $50 bucks a thread.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/06/2020 10:52 am

On 8/5/2020 at 5:59 PM, dazzed said:

Thanks, that's exactly the type of info I needed. I was mostly interested in the PLLA threads because they're essentially made out of the same material as Sculptra and cause the body to create collagen / scar tissue around the material and create volume. Not sure what kind you got. You're right, each thread is pretty thin and tiny so 4 probably wouldn'tdo much if you have severe scars because you would need a ton of them. Obviously that would be very cost prohibitive at $50 bucks a thread.

Welcome. I'm not sure which kind I had, I think it was the PDO threads.Maybe those like Sculptra could actually do something. I had 2 inserted under a depressed area, and 2 under a rolling scar after subcision. Maybe 2 are not enough. I don't know it was a test treatment. Maybe if you insert like 6-7 paralell to each other under every rolling scar, it would bring something 🙂 But the number of the threads wasn't the issue when I asked my derm about results, I also didn't give the impression that I wouldn't be willing to spend a bit more if there were an effect to be expected, but he still said: only a very slight improvement is to be expected (in my case).

Strangely, I haven't seen many scar patients treated with threads. Most derms just use fillers. At the end of my treatmentI chatted with the nurse at the clinic who also does threads and he said he uses them mainly for a slight lifting effect in aging skin in the lower face and in the neck areas. If somebody is in that age when such problems start occuring then it's definitely worth trying them out 🙂

MemberMember
(@sibel)

Posted : 08/06/2020 3:20 pm

Well.. Dr.Chu inserted 4 threads on each side suggesting it could streach the skin therefore the scars would not be that obvious. It was very painful to put under the skin. Brusedfor a month. No result at all. No lifting either. I felt the end of one thread for a long time then luckily it dissolved. So would not recommend it neither for scars nor for general lifting. Or it has to be a lot of these threads building a fence under the skin... but they will also dissolve after a while...