Notifications
Clear all

Why do doctors charge per area rather than time?

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 07/18/2020 6:43 pm

One thing I hate about doctors or aesthetic practicesis that I feel like they are ripping me off with their prices because they know that I have skin issues.

For example, I was interested in IPL or other laser treatments because I have some dark spots on my legs from scrapes due to volleyball and softball in high school and college.My dermatologist (former!!) said there are a few lasers for that so we talked about costs. I asked if I could just have a few spots on my face treated and I was told that it wouldcost almost double. Excuse me?

My legs/knees cover a large area whereas I only needed several spots on my face about the size of dimes treated. I don't understand why that is an additional cost (or at least that substantial) when I believe the settings would be the same and the doctor just has to move the handpiece a few feet up. Pressing the button on a laser machine a few times takes only seconds. Can't do me a favor since I already spent so much money with you??

Yes, they want to pay for their expensive lasers and know many are desperate or willing to pay. Ifind this a bit unethical and challenge but welcome anybody to offer a reasonable explanation.

By the way, I've seen two plastic surgeons to do fillers. They didn't charge me extra to fill my face/lips and my neck. They charged me by the syringe! That's how it should be.

MemberMember
(@walkietalkie)

Posted : 07/18/2020 8:37 pm

Price differentiation so that customers who only needs one area treatment wouldn't feel like they were getting ripped off for paying the same amount for less work.

Bay Area is also just expensive in every way possible.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 07/18/2020 8:38 pm

Only reason they're able to "rip you off" is because they're allowed by the law. The healthcare system is so flawed in this country (USA), it would be a waste of time to point fingers to only one or two immoral doctors. BTW you think only dermatologists are unethical? Think again.

Those doctors on the other side of the street, mainly cardiologists, pulmonologist, etc, are no more ethical that your dermatologist. When you're admitted into thehospital, the first thing they want you to sign is the "non resuscitation form". Is that because they are so kind that they can't see you suffer needlessly? Heck no, it's all about cost-saving.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 07/18/2020 10:53 pm

2 hours ago, walkietalkie said:

Price differentiation so that customers who only needs one area treatment wouldn't feel like they were getting ripped off for paying the same amount for less work.

Bay Area is also just expensive in every way possible.

Umm, don't get what you said.

2 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

Only reason they're able to "rip you off" is because they're allowed by the law. The healthcare system is so flawed in this country (USA), it would be a waste of time to point fingers to only one or two immoral doctors. BTW you think only dermatologists are unethical? Think again.

Those doctors on the other side of the street, mainly cardiologists, pulmonologist, etc, are no more ethical that your dermatologist. When you're admitted into thehospital, the first thing they want you to sign is the "non resuscitation form". Is that because they are so kind that they can't see you suffer needlessly? Heck no, it's all about cost-saving.

Maybe I take back what I said. It's legal and they have every right to charge what they want, but we as patients should be able to voice our frustrations. I think putting prices on review sites would help other members.

Lots of doctors are unethical but we're on an acne/skin site so I was narrow in my distinction.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 07/19/2020 3:07 pm

16 hours ago, Amanda Hall said:

Maybe I take back what I said. It's legal and they have every right to charge what they want

Doctors blame the skyrocketing medical costs on lawsuits. Well, no wonder they're constantly getting sued. They value money over health of their patients. Patients are sick and tired of crappy service.

MemberMember
(@walkietalkie)

Posted : 07/20/2020 6:56 pm

On 7/18/2020 at 8:53 PM, Amanda Hall said:

Umm, don't get what you said.

It means a patient who only needs treatment on,say, their cheeks, wouldfeel ripped off if they had to pay the same amount as another patientwho receivestreatment on their entire face. You can replace cheeks vs entire face in my example with kneesvs face + knees.

Price differentiation is just the terminology for the kind of pricing strategy you've described.

In reality your doctor might haveestablished a pricing menu, i.e. a treatment price foreach area of your body/face of whichthey gave you a quote base off.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 07/20/2020 11:37 pm

I know some doctors and aestheticians who will do extra areas for free or for very little added cost if it only takes them another minute or two. But lots of places don't do this so I don't give them my business.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/21/2020 9:56 am

Because treating the face for aesthetic reasons is a whole new ball game. You can wear long pants and hide a defect on your legs but you can't hide your face so treating the face is valued more. Different prices for different areas.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 07/21/2020 6:03 pm

8 hours ago, MihaelaP said:

Because treating the face for aesthetic reasons is a whole new ball game. You can wear long pants and hide a defect on your legs but you can't hide your face so treating the face is valued more. Different prices for different areas.

I'm not talking about how I feel about the legs. So you're saying that 5 minutes on the face is different than 5 minutes on the legs? Same settings and all... sorry, not buying it. It takes the doctor the same amount of time and effort so why should they make it subjective and say because my face is important that it costs more? Does this mean if I get Botox on my legs, it should be much cheaper?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/21/2020 6:43 pm

38 minutes ago, Amanda Hall said:

I'm not talking about how I feel about the legs. So you're saying that 5 minutes on the face is different than 5 minutes on the legs? Same settings and all... sorry, not buying it. It takes the doctor the same amount of time and effort so why should they make it subjective and say because my face is important that it costs more? Does this mean if I get Botox on my legs, it should be much cheaper?

I get your frustration. I am also frustrated with the costs of the treatments, if you have real scars, you need multiple treatments and it's expensive, but treatments on the face are more expensive than on other parts, I've noticed it with many derms/ plastic surgeons.