Notifications
Clear all

Recommendations for new reigmen

MemberMember
(@alissa-sisirakgmail-com)

Posted : 07/01/2020 10:24 am

I have been on Differin for the past 4 months and it has been an absolute disaster. I had the purging for 3 months straight, the worst my skin has ever been. Then it seemed to start getting better very slowly, but has now gone back to having multiple angry cysts and pustules. I got 5 new ones just in one day. I have given it so much time and now my face is really terrible again. I've tried being so patient, but this has been the worst disaster I can remember going through ever, and let me tell, I am not new to any of this. Anyway, I'm done with Differin. I went on it because I got extreme hormonal acne on my chin that was getting worse and worse. This started about 9 months postpartum and it also happened with my first baby 4 years ago.

I'm thinking to start on a BP system of some kind. I know there is acne.org regimen and I will look into that but I'm looking for something that doesn't have a ridiculous amount of chemicals in it as I have rosacea too and have sensitive skin. I recently used the Elta MD enzyme cleanser which made me breakout in areas that I don't usually. No clue why but you see that my skin is very sensitive. Does anyone have any recommendations for a BP system that I could use? I'm kind of lost here. Terrified of trying anything as it has all been a disaster recently, but I have to do something. Thanks so much!

MemberMember

Posted : 07/01/2020 10:43 am

I should also say I was very surprised at the reaction I've had with Differin considering that I have been on Retin-A before, although it was maybe 10 years ago, and although I had a purging period, it went away and I then had better skin for quite awhile. It stopped working though after maybe a year and I had to move on.

MemberMember
(@nouchka98)

Posted : 07/01/2020 7:22 pm

Maybe differin is not strong enough for you and you have to move up to retin a, or maybe your acnedoes not respond the mostto retinoids (but note that forsome people, the purging lasts more than 4 months) and you could try over the counterbp products. I would not stop differin if you want to use bp though since they work at different levels. (Some prescriptions even mix adapalene and bp).Startwith a low percentage (less than 5%) maybe in cleanser( cerave) and then in a leave-on form. Since you have severe hormonal acne, it could not be sufficient and a good dermatologist/ doctor to check your hormones is the best way to go. Netherthless try a zinc supplement and a low vitamin a, it could only but help internally. Maybe work on a elimination diet if you haven't done it yet ( no diary, no sugar, no refined carbs...).

Katja316 liked
MemberMember

Posted : 07/01/2020 7:49 pm

22 minutes ago, Nouchka98 said:

Maybe differin is not strong enough for you and you have to move up to retin a, or maybe your acnedoes not respond the mostto retinoids (but note that forsome people, the purging lasts more than 4 months) and you could try over the counterbp products. I would not stop differin if you want to use bp though since they work at different levels. (Some prescriptions even mix adapalene and bp).Startwith a low percentage (less than 5%) maybe in cleanser( cerave) and then in a leave-on form. Since you have severe hormonal acne, it could not be sufficient and a good dermatologist/ doctor to check your hormones is the best way to go. Netherthless try a zinc supplement and a low vitamin a, it could only but help internally. Maybe work on a elimination diet if you haven't done it yet ( no diary, no sugar, no refined carbs...).

I could imagine it could be not strong enough but to not be getting rid of the purge yet is so weird. I've not heard of anyone that has purged for so long. It was starting to get better and is not as bad as ever. I have been purging since the very beginning of April. Have you heard of it lasting that long before? I know when I was on retin-a, it was a bad purge but it didn't last too long.

I've ordered zinc and will be trying that although I've tried it before. I've also done elimination diets awhile and nothing changed. I think I will get my hormone levels checked though soon. Not running to the doctor lately so much due to covid though.

MemberMember
(@nouchka98)

Posted : 07/02/2020 8:28 pm

I also have been on differin a long time ago (now on retin a) and yes, for some people, i have heard some dermatologists say that even this is rare, the purge can last longer. But given what you say about retin a, i would move up to retin a if I were you. I would make this process much quicker and retin a is more effective than differin. You can have retin a in online prescription sites (be carefull otherwise) if you don't have access to yourderm.You can still use bp products in a wash or in aternance particularly during a purge period to cut down the inflammation.Just be careful with retin a not to apply more than a pea-size and and to gradually increase the frequency of application during the week so that your skin doesn't get too irritated.

Yes, zinc is a natural anti inflammatory. My derm prescribed this to me when i was a teen and said everybody need this ( in a recommended amount, do not overtake). Even if it helps just a little bit, it is worth it. Also increase your vitamin a food. Just make sure your have sufficent iron amount in your diet since zinc can decreasea little bit the absorption of iron in your body.

MemberMember
(@dodgerguy)

Posted : 07/07/2020 7:35 pm

Differin is the OTC version, which is 0.1%. If that's what you're using, I'd suggest getting a prescription for adapalene 0.3%. Same active ingredient as Differin except a lot stronger. You can also change retinoids and try Retin-A 0.05% cream.

I'd also look at what you're eating, because foods can be a trigger for acne breakouts. Dairy a a big culprit for many off us. Remove one regular item from your diet for several weeks. Keep doing that with different items one at a time to see if your acne decreases. Drinking a lot of water each day and regularly washing your pillow case can also help.