Notifications
Clear all

atrophic ( ice pick and boxcar scars ) + post inflammatory hyperpigmentation

MemberMember
(@dumbobono333gmail-com)

Posted : 06/29/2020 10:36 pm

I had an ablative fractional laser treatment ( 1 session ) for my ice pick/boxcar acne scars about 1 year ago in 2019. Unfortunately, it made my scars worse by giving me hyperpigmentation as I am dark skinned.

Here is what my skin looks like now:

IPM5lvb.jpg?fb
Post with 0 votes and 2 views.
imgur.com

I'm in Toronto and confused by the responses I've received so far. The options include TCA cross, microneedling, chemical peels, subcision and lasers

Each option itself has a lot of different types and there seem to be conflicting opinions about my actually work and what may not. 

Considering I have a limited budget, how do I make sure I am going for the right treatment? 

Is it better to get the procedure done from a dermatologist or aesthetician? 

MemberMember
(@perservering)

Posted : 06/29/2020 11:48 pm

Your skin looks great. I would probably just do some needling with a Derminator at home and light TCA peels.

dumbobono liked
MemberMember
(@dumbobono333gmail-com)

Posted : 06/30/2020 9:45 am

10 hours ago, Perservering said:

Your skin looks great. I would probably just do some needling with a Derminator at home and light TCA peels.

oh thank you so much

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 06/30/2020 4:59 pm

18 hours ago, dumbobono said:

I'm in Toronto and confused by the responses I've received so far. The options include TCA cross, microneedling, chemical peels, subcision and lasers

Yes: TCA cross, which is a chemical peel.

No: Everything else.

Lasers, depending on which one you get, is more effective for mild boxcars. Subcision is catered more to deep rolling scars.

18 hours ago, dumbobono said:

Considering I have a limited budget, how do I make sure I am going for the right treatment?

Is it better to get the procedure done from a dermatologist or aesthetician?

Unfortunately, when it comes to scar revision, there is no guarantee. If you're under tight budget, you can do TCA at home. It doesn't take a skill of a rocket scientist to apply TCA using a toothpick.

As for which is better, it's neither/nor. Not all dermatologists are good while not all aestheticians are bad.

MemberMember
(@dumbobono333gmail-com)

Posted : 06/30/2020 10:46 pm

5 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

Yes: TCA cross, which is a chemical peel.

No: Everything else.

Lasers, depending on which one you get, is more effective for mild boxcars. Subcision is catered more to deep rolling scars.

Unfortunately, when it comes to scar revision, there is no guarantee. If you're under tight budget, you can do TCA at home. It doesn't take a skill of a rocket scientist to apply TCA using a toothpick.

As for which is better, it's neither/nor. Not all dermatologists are good while not all aestheticians are bad.

thank you

so you think TCA cross will be most effective for my dark skin?

I see this is something easily available online for DIY purposes. Can I safely do this at home or should I pay premium to an aesthetician for a treatment?

If I can do at home, what is the best TCA product/brand you would recommend?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 07/01/2020 2:41 pm

15 hours ago, dumbobono said:

thank you

so you think TCA cross will be most effective for my dark skin?

I see this is something easily available online for DIY purposes. Can I safely do this at home or should I pay premium to an aesthetician for a treatment?

If I can do at home, what is the best TCA product/brand you would recommend?

Unlike what's being said here and elsewhere about DIY, self-treatment isn't at all difficult as long as you're willing to take the time to learn the ropes, eg. standard precaution. YouTube has good tutorials so get to know what's involved.

For your scar, I suggest applying 50-70% TCA. Start with 50% (or lower) and work yourself up to 70%. Also it's important that you not over-treat. Space out your treatment to once every 12 weeks.

You can buy pre-diluted TCAs, which is more expensive, or you can buy 100% and dilute it yourself. As long as you use a "medical-grade", it doesn't matter where you get your TCA.