Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey all, 

After I got such good advice from you guys about moisturizers and sunscreen I want to ask of you have advice on foundations. So far the tinted BB cream from Jane Iredale is the only thing that doesn't break me out. The problem is that it doesn't have good coverage being a BB cream only. So do you have a holy grail foundation? 

Thanks

Bareminerals barepro liquid foundation has great coverage and has a true matte finish. You have to apply it with a very dense brush ( they also provide one) and exfoliate your skin very well before applying it.

If you like jane iredale, their beyond matte liquid foundation is great but it doesn't last as long as barepro and is less matte (semi matte i would say). It also has a coconut derivative that can make some skin break out but since you say that their bb cream (which also countain these derivatives) is ok, then it may be fine. It could give you more blackheads though.

3 hours ago, Nouchka98 said:

Bareminerals barepro liquid foundation has great coverage and has a true matte finish. You have to apply it with a very dense brush ( they also provide one) and exfoliate your skin very well before applying it.

If you like jane iredale, their beyond matte liquid foundation is great but it doesn't last as long as barepro and is less matte (semi matte i would say). It also has a coconut derivative that can make some skin break out but since you say that their bb cream (which also countain these derivatives) is ok, then it may be fine. It could give you more blackheads though.

Hey thanks for the advice. Both foundations are pretty good at first glance. I'll try to find samples and see how my skin will react to them. I have really the most sensible reactive skin - almost every foundation breaks me out. Used to use the Dermalogica foundation, they changed the formulation, the new one broke me out. I even tried the expensive Ko Gen Do foundation but it broke me out too. I am tired of throwing away money on things that break me out.

The barepro one is really less likely to break you out as opposed to nearly every other liquid foundations on the market. Believe me, i truly look at the ingredients. I have even tried it on myself and I am also very acne prone from cosmetics. Pure mineral powder makeup is the safest option ( and also the only type of makeyp that is not supposed to make you break out) but it is true that it can look a little bit more "unatural" looking if you want fuller coverage. It depends on what you like and the results also vary from the cream you put before ( powder has to "stick" to something to create a more creamy-like result). Bareminerals original powder foundation has medium coverage but is has bismuth oxychloride which can, IF and only IF your skin is sensitive to it, make your skin more irritated and of course potentially break out from it. Nethertheless, it is not really common even for irritated acne prone skin. Alima pure is an other brand and it has no BO, but it is has a tiny tiny less coverage than the bm. I have tried other mineral powders bit i find that they often don't have more than a light coverage.

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2020 at 9:57 PM, Nouchka98 said:

The barepro one is really less likely to break you out as opposed to nearly every other liquid foundations on the market. Believe me, i truly look at the ingredients. I have even tried it on myself and I am also very acne prone from cosmetics. Pure mineral powder makeup is the safest option ( and also the only type of makeyp that is not supposed to make you break out) but it is true that it can look a little bit more "unatural" looking if you want fuller coverage. It depends on what you like and the results also vary from the cream you put before ( powder has to "stick" to something to create a more creamy-like result). Bareminerals original powder foundation has medium coverage but is has bismuth oxychloride which can, IF and only IF your skin is sensitive to it, make your skin more irritated and of course potentially break out from it. Nethertheless, it is not really common even for irritated acne prone skin. Alima pure is an other brand and it has no BO, but it is has a tiny tiny less coverage than the bm. I have tried other mineral powders bit i find that they often don't have more than a light coverage.

Thanks a lot for your advice. It's really helpful. I've also made the experience that mineral make up is the best for my skin. Any coverage above BB cream will be ok I guess as long as ghe foundation doesn't break me out. What other ingredients do I want to avoid if I may ask? 

Edited by BlueMaloney

Just make sure if you choose mineral powder that it is only mineral, that is to say it only contains silica, titanium dioxyde, zinc oxyde, mica, iron oxydes maybe some kaolin, corn starch and various plant extracts and that's it. No talc, no oils and coconut derivatives ( coco caprylate, caprylic triglyceride, alkanes...)  which are often found in mineral powders to offer a "glide" and no silicones. In general when you buy skincare: no oils, no coconut derivatives, no mirenal oil, fragrance free if possible, no silicones or low in silicones (which is not possible to find in liquid foundation) but this one is less imoortant since silicones mainly make you break out if an ingredient in the formula is problematic since it acts like a film, wax free. Etc.. Look at cosdna ( click at analyse ingredients) where you can check out every ingredient of your product and it gives you a rate for comedogeniticy. However do not rely only on that because i find that it is not completely exhaustive especially for oils and derivatives. Anything above 2 could be a culprit. Alima pure offers samples to various colors if you want to try.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Nouchka98 said:

Just make sure if you choose mineral powder that it is only mineral, that is to say it only contains silica, titanium dioxyde, zinc oxyde, mica, iron oxydes maybe some kaolin, corn starch and various plant extracts and that's it. No talc, no oils and coconut derivatives ( coco caprylate, caprylic triglyceride, alkanes...)  which are often found in mineral powders to offer a "glide" and no silicones. In general when you buy skincare: no oils, no coconut derivatives, no mirenal oil, fragrance free if possible, no silicones or low in silicones (which is not possible to find in liquid foundation) but this one is less imoortant since silicones mainly make you break out if an ingredient in the formula is problematic since it acts like a film, wax free. Etc.. Look at cosdna ( click at analyse ingredients) where you can check out every ingredient of your product and it gives you a rate for comedogeniticy. However do not rely only on that because i find that it is not completely exhaustive especially for oils and derivatives. Anything above 2 could be a culprit. Alima pure offers samples to various colors if you want to try.

Valuable advice. Thank you very much. 

Hehe, I have so many products that I have bought over the years that my skin reacts to that with your site I can easily type their ingredients in and see what ingredients I probably react to. At least something positive of my long list of ill purchases. 

Edited by BlueMaloney