Notifications
Clear all

25 % TCA peel a Week after Microneedling

MemberMember
(@saraskatt1gmail-com)

Posted : 05/30/2020 2:32 pm

I was wondering,
would microneedling a week prior to doing a TCA peel result in greater improvement of large pores and ice pick/ boxcar scars?

My theory is that the scars would be temporarily raised after the microneedling due to the plumping inflammatory effect that microneedling has, thus the TCA would reach the bottom of the scar and trigger collagen production.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

(I would do TCA cross on some of the deeper scars, but for the flat and more shallow ones I hope a full facial peel would be effective.)

None of my local practitioners perform TCA peels higher than 25%, so this microneedling experiment is my only hope.

20200530_212930.jpg

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 05/30/2020 4:25 pm

The pic is too blurry to tell if they're enlarged pores or icepicks. However, your skin looks pretty inflamed. Have you received anytreatment recently?If yes, let your skin rest for up to 3 months.

Re your question, 25% TCA is too low for scar improvement. Even 35% that's mainly used for TCA peel does nothing for scars.Microneedling is also not a very good treatment modality. It might be useful for wrinkles but not for scars. Additionally, it tends to ruin the skin texture due to micro-tearing.

MemberMember
(@dodgerguy)

Posted : 05/30/2020 5:14 pm

From the words of one of my dermatologists who I did TCA CROSS with, anything less than 80% wont yield any results. As far as TCA peel, you probably want to start off with a patch test to see how it reacts on your skin. 25% peel is ok to start, but youre better off with a professional experienced with TCA peels.

Not sure about doing a peel a week after microneedling because your skin is still recoveringfrom the trauma caused by thoseneedles. Also, if your skin is plump, youre not going to see many of yourice pick and boxcar scars to do CROSS. You can try CROSS and microneedling right after at the same sitting. Talk to your derm about this option.

MemberMember
(@de-rerum-natura)

Posted : 05/31/2020 4:34 am

Like Sirius said, your skin is irritated and despite you having enlarged pores, they are probably even bigger because itsproducing more sebum in response to the irritation. Needling or 25% TCA will do nothing but harm toyour skin at this moment. They also cant improve your pores if thats your goal.

By seeing your photo, i want you to know that u dont have acne scars. Your enlarged pores arent deep enough to call them icepick. If u want to improve them, you will need to do 50%+ TCA cross on them individually, then after u let your skin breathe u should go for a resurfacing method like CO2 laser.

By the current state of it u shouldnt do anything but moisturize your skin and stop the irritation first.

Good luck

Kay24 liked
MemberMember
(@ravi-kumar-engineer)

Posted : 06/03/2020 10:16 pm

On 5/31/2020 at 3:44 AM, dodgerguy said:

From the words of one of my dermatologists who I did TCA CROSS with, anything less than 80% wont yield any results. As far as TCA peel, you probably want to start off with a patch test to see how it reacts on your skin. 25% peel is ok to start, but youre better off with a professional experienced with TCA peels.

Not sure about doing a peel a week after microneedling because your skin is still recoveringfrom the trauma caused by thoseneedles. Also, if your skin is plump, youre not going to see many of yourice pick and boxcar scars to do CROSS. You can try CROSS and microneedling right after at the same sitting. Talk to your derm about this option.

There is one indian research paper which shows excellent improvement with 50% TCA cross only

< http://www.idoj.in/article.asp?issn=2229-5178;year=2014;volume=5;issue=1;spage=95;epage=97;aulast=Kaur >

What's your input on that ?

MemberMember
(@dodgerguy)

Posted : 06/04/2020 12:50 am

2 hours ago, Ravi.kumar.engineer said:

There is one indian research paper which shows excellent improvement with 50% TCA cross only

< http://www.idoj.in/article.asp?issn=2229-5178;year=2014;volume=5;issue=1;spage=95;epage=97;aulast=Kaur >

What's your input on that ?

I don't think there is even one experienced dermatologist out there that would advocate 50% TCA for CROSS. This is a letter your link leads to (from 2014), which mentions10 female patients. Super small sample-size. We're also depending on their analysis of what is excellent improvement, which is 6 of 10? And look at figure 1 pictures. The after picture is not a result of 50% TCA CROSS. More like a combo of different lighting, micro-swelling from a laser or microneedling, and possible fillers. That's my input, but by all means follow the strategies of the "paper" if you are a believer.

MemberMember
(@letterstololagmail-com)

Posted : 05/18/2021 2:24 am

On 5/30/2020 at 10:25 PM, Sirius Lee said:

The pic is too blurry to tell if they're enlarged pores or icepicks. However, your skin looks pretty inflamed. Have you received anytreatment recently?If yes, let your skin rest for up to 3 months.

Re your question, 25% TCA is too low for scar improvement. Even 35% that's mainly used for TCA peel does nothing for scars.Microneedling is also not a very good treatment modality. It might be useful for wrinkles but not for scars. Additionally, it tends to ruin the skin texture due to micro-tearing.

Hi Sirius

Can i ask why this persons skin is described as inflamed? it looks pretty good to me!

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 05/18/2021 5:50 pm

15 hours ago, pompomhanif said:

Hi Sirius

Can i ask why this persons skin is described as inflamed? it looks pretty good to me!

Large pores and PIE/PIH still evident in the pic.