Whiteheads around m...

Notifications
Clear all

Whiteheads around mouth and chin

MemberMember
(@thirdpersonnegmail-com)

Posted : 05/28/2020 10:49 am

Hi folks,

I have been scouring the internet for an answer to my on going skin problem and can't seem to find anyone with the same problem. I have had persistent whiteheads around my mouth for as long as I know, they happen mainly around the corners of my mouth and appear most mornings - the rest of my face is fine! They often seem to appear due to stress, but I am still getting them not and am not particularly stressed (practising meditation etc.). I've heard spots around the mouth can be due to hormones but I don't know how to test this. Generally it just seems extremely reactive. I don't touch my face, or press my phone against it and have a healthy diet and get good sleep. I have also heard toothpaste could be a cause, but does it effect the whole chin area?

I currenty use a few products on my face in the morning:

• Hyaluronic acid 
  • Effaclar Duo +
  • Laroche Posay Hydraphase Intense

And use a salysicly peel once a week.

I have had oxytetracycline before and that helped clear it up, but after treatment it just popped back up again... Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any insight? I would really like to not have to have my face being this sore all the time. 

Thanks!

Alex

spots.jpg

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/28/2020 11:06 am

Many of us are experiencing the same problem, there's already 32 pages long thread about it :) Please take a look at my last answer  and good luck:.

Here's the official document from UK's NHS(National Health Service) on how the children are treated for this condition  https://www.gosh.nhs.uk/file/1063/download

So this can be treated, but it is also an indicator that you might have a compromised immune system which allows this bacteria to thrive. Many people have this bacteria in their nose but don't experience infections because of their strong immune system. My advice would be to stop using all products on your face, schedule an appointment with a respected dermatologist and ask to test you for staph bacteria. After is confirmed, you can get a prescription for something against staph, like Bactroban.

You could also skip that, and just try applying Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic First Aid Ointment(generic version of neosporin) the same way you would apply Bactroban to your nosetrils and ears(using a cotton swab, two or three times a day). Those products are cheap and sold over the counter, and also effective against staph, you should see first results after 3-5 days.

MemberMember
(@kristina4ever15)

Posted : 05/31/2020 7:07 pm

I would recommend benzoyl peroxide! Honestly it is the only thing that helped my acne. :) 

MemberMember
(@rebelheart)

Posted : 07/20/2020 8:54 am

On 5/28/2020 at 9:19 PM, Togman said:

Hi folks,

I have been scouring the internet for an answer to my on going skin problem and can't seem to find anyone with the same problem. I have had persistent whiteheads around my mouth for as long as I know, they happen mainly around the corners of my mouth and appear most mornings - the rest of my face is fine! They often seem to appear due to stress, but I am still getting them not and am not particularly stressed (practising meditation etc.). I've heard spots around the mouth can be due to hormones but I don't know how to test this. Generally it just seems extremely reactive. I don't touch my face, or press my phone against it and have a healthy diet and get good sleep. I have also heard toothpaste could be a cause, but does it effect the whole chin area?

I currenty use a few products on my face in the morning:

• Hyaluronic acid 
  • Effaclar Duo +
  • Laroche Posay Hydraphase Intense

And use a salysicly peel once a week.

I have had oxytetracycline before and that helped clear it up, but after treatment it just popped back up again... Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any insight? I would really like to not have to have my face being this sore all the time. 

Thanks!

Alex

spots.jpg

Were you on antibiotics or accutane for a long period before getting this condition? 

MemberMember
(@elainea)

Posted : 07/20/2020 12:18 pm

The cause could be bacterial, fungal, hormonal or demodex skin mites. The treatment for each is completely different.
A good dermatologist should be able to run some tests to determine the cause. Regrettably, many just do visual exams and prescribe "the most likely" treatment without verifying that they are treating the right disease. You can be tested for several of these conditions to make sure that you are getting the right treatment to clear it.

Anti-microbial face wash and shampoo containing Tea Tree Oil can be helpful for 3 of the 4 types. Tea tree oil fights bacteria, fungus and demodex skin mites.

Typical Treatments:
Bacterial: Antibiotics (oral or topical), benzoyl peroxide.
Fungal: Antifungal topical treatments and oral anti-fungal drugs like Difflucan.
Demodex Skin Mites: Oral Ivermectin + Oral Metronidazole (2 week combined treatment), milder cases topical Soolantra / Rosiver cream with 1% Ivermectin.

Microscopic Demodex Skin Mites are a frequently overlooked cause of skin issues. The 2 types of mites on humans eat oil. Demodex Folliculorum live in the follicles. Demodex Brevis lives down in the oil glands. The mites come out to mate at night and may track fungus or bacteria down into the pores and glands with them. You could actually have 2 skin conditions made worse by the mites moving around. The mites live and die on a 2-3 week cycle. When they die, the dead mites form pustules. The die off pustules can make the acne appear cyclical. Flares up and then seems to get better for a week or two, then gets worse again when the next die off occurs. When they start to notice a cyclical behavior, dermatologists frequently jump to the conclusion that "its hormonal". Most doctors never run actual lab test for either condition.

You can be tested for demodex. The doctor collects a skin sample places it on a slide and looks at the slide under the microscope. The then attempt to count the number of demodex mites. Mites don't like light and scuttle to the edge of the slide, making counting them difficult.

The mites may cause any or all of the following symptoms:
Demodex Symptoms: Large blackheads, plugged pores with white plugs sticking out (anywhere on skin, but they are especially fond of the corners of the mouth), cyclical behavior, Pustules, Papules, red dry eyes, styes on the eyelids, itchy skin and scalp, scalp acne, body acne, ocular rosacea (aka Blepharitis Demodex), severe eyelash loss, skin redness (Rosacea Subtype 2 with Pustules and Papules), broken capillaries.

For Demodex: There is a highly effective, inexpensive, generic, oral treatment that can clear the mites in 2 weeks. A proper medical study of 120 patients was published in the May 2013 International Journal of Infectious Diseases. Paper Title: "Evaluation of the efficacy of oral ivermectin in comparison with ivermectinmetronidazole combined therapy in the treatment of ocular and skin lesions of Demodex folliculorum" . If the URL is broken, try Googling the paper title to find it.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S120197121201315X