Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you have acne that isn't responding to bacterial acne or fungal acne treatment, this may help.
If your dermatologist did not test you for Demodex mites, you should ask them to do so.  If you have demodex skin mites the following treatment can be very beneficial in as little as 2 weeks..

Microscopic demodex skin mites can cause big blackheads and acne like eruptions anywhere there is an oil gland on your body.  That is everywhere but the soles of your feet and palms of your hands.  That also includes the eye lids,  ears and scalp.  The mites live 2 to 3 weeks.  The pustules appear on a 2 to 3 weeks cycle, those are mite die offs.  A healthy immune system normally keeps the mite population in check.   The demodex can get overpopulated if your immune system is suppressed due to illness or other causes.

The oral treatment kills the mites all over your body even in hard to reach glands. It clears both the skin and eyes. If you have ocular rosacea (aka blepharitis demodex) it is very important to get it treated before it damages your vision.

The combined Oral Ivermectin + Oral Metronidazole treatment worked for me. The report on this treatment was published in the International Journal of Infectious disease in May 2013. Treatment takes 2 weeks using Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole. Insurance copay was just $13.03 (Uninsured retail about $52 USD.

Article: "Evaluation of the efficacy of oral ivermectin in comparison with ivermectin–metronidazole combined therapy in the treatment of ocular and skin lesions of Demodex folliculorum"

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S120197121201315X

Using the more effective 2 drug combined treatment (from paper) based on body weight for the oral Ivermectin:
1. Two doses of oral Ivermectin one week apart. Each weekly dose is 200 micrograms Ivermectin per kilogram of body weight. My doctor rounded the dose up for me since the tablets are in 3 mg size. Worked out to 12 mg per dose for me. Take on an empty stomach with a large glass of water.
2. Oral Metronidazole, 250 mg. three times a day for two weeks. Do not drink alcohol while taking oral Metronidazole and for 72 hours after taking the last tablet.  Take with food.

Oral Ivermectin is taken on days 1 and 8 in a single dose. For me this was 4 tablets totalling the 12 mg prescribed dosage. The Oral Metronidazole is taken every day, 3 times a day with food.

Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole have been around for many years and have excellent safety records. They are on the WHO list of essential medicines. That being said they are prescription drugs and should be taken under a doctors care. They should not be taken if you are allergic to them.

Some dermatologists prescribe the same 2 drugs but in different amounts and possible for 2, 4, or 6 weeks.  The first round of oral ivermectin kills the existing adults but not the eggs.  Multiple rounds are needed to kill the eggs after they hatch.  

NOTE: Use clean towels and washcloths for the affected areas. Demodex can live on a damp towel up to 54 hours. Ordinary washing and drying with a temperature of at least 58 C degrees will kill demodex.

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes