Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lover

Question for People with "Successful" Scar Treatment

Recommended Posts

The argument here is bizarre. Why wouldn't a series of aggressive laser treatments improve Dudley's complexion? And I've noticed that doctors only insist on documenting with pictures in the last few years. 

We can talk crap about lasers, but honestly, a series of lasers can yield improvement depending on the setting of the laser, the skill of the doctor, and the skin type of the patient. For my skin, that would be too ablative, but if you can afford it and it can help, why not?

It's been a long journey for me. I went through a period of lots of at home peels like gylcolic and TCA combined with copper peptides. A total of 5 subcision treatments, sometimes combined with suction, sometimes Fraxel restore. Two additional lasers, once with Sciton (way too aggressive for me!) and another with Halo. I've had probably 50-60% improvement. Not perfect, but I'm not nearly as insecure and self conscious about them, and I feel more comfortable taking pictures. 

I'm not giving up though. I want to do at least one more subcision/laser combination. My pores are still too enlarged. Conveniently, I'm showing signs of aging, so the laser will help with that as well. 

On 6/14/2020 at 12:20 PM, BlueMaloney said:

How do you do subcision at home? 

This is super dangerous! I tried to do this at home and injured myself. Please do NOT do it at home! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Starlite said:

Two additional lasers, once with Sciton (way too aggressive for me!) and another with Halo. I've had probably 50-60% improvement. Not perfect, but I'm not nearly as insecure and self conscious about them, and I feel more comfortable taking pictures. 

I'm not giving up though. I want to do at least one more subcision/laser combination. My pores are still too enlarged. Conveniently, I'm showing signs of aging, so the laser will help with that as well. 

This is super dangerous! I tried to do this at home and injured myself. Please do NOT do it at home! 

How did you like the halo procedure? that's the only laser I might do as suggested by my surgeon. Is it decent at resurfacing?

Thank you for sharing! I'm so happy to hear about successful outcomes. 

Edited by Kay24
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
On 6/17/2020 at 6:52 AM, Starlite said:

The argument here is bizarre. Why wouldn't a series of aggressive laser treatments improve Dudley's complexion? And I've noticed that doctors only insist on documenting with pictures in the last few years. 

We can talk crap about lasers, but honestly, a series of lasers can yield improvement depending on the setting of the laser, the skill of the doctor, and the skin type of the patient. For my skin, that would be too ablative, but if you can afford it and it can help, why not?

It's been a long journey for me. I went through a period of lots of at home peels like gylcolic and TCA combined with copper peptides. A total of 5 subcision treatments, sometimes combined with suction, sometimes Fraxel restore. Two additional lasers, once with Sciton (way too aggressive for me!) and another with Halo. I've had probably 50-60% improvement. Not perfect, but I'm not nearly as insecure and self conscious about them, and I feel more comfortable taking pictures. 

I'm not giving up though. I want to do at least one more subcision/laser combination. My pores are still too enlarged. Conveniently, I'm showing signs of aging, so the laser will help with that as well. 

This is super dangerous! I tried to do this at home and injured myself. Please do NOT do it at home! 

That's why I asked about the subcision. I've heard of tca at home but not of subcision.

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites

What degree of improvement did you see? - almost completely fixed. About 95% improvement. 

How would you rate the happiness you felt right after having your scars diminished? - it happened gradually but I remember after the first microneedling I realised that this could be the cure 

How does it affect your happiness months and/or years later? - extremely. It's not really the happiness that's the best part, it's the fact that you don't need to tire yourself mentally thinking about it anymore. Wondering if people are looking at you or if your skin looks horrible in harsh lighting. 

 

After looking back on the money, possible pain and recovery time, would you consider it important to your overall happiness? - incredibly important. Though I may be more vain than the average individual, who knows. 

Edited by Liquid_Ocelot
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
47 minutes ago, Liquid_Ocelot said:

What degree of improvement did you see? - almost completely fixed. About 95% improvement. 

How would you rate the happiness you felt right after having your scars diminished? - it happened gradually but I remember after the first microneedling I realised that this could be the cure 

How does it affect your happiness months and/or years later? - extremely. It's not really the happiness that's the best part, it's the fact that you don't need to tire yourself mentally thinking about it anymore. Wondering if people are looking at you or if your skin looks horrible in harsh lighting. 

 

After looking back on the money, possible pain and recovery time, would you consider it important to your overall happiness? - incredibly important. Though I may be more vain than the average individual, who knows. 

Wow that's great. How severe was your scarring and did you do something else apart from microneedling? 

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites

I did:

 

-2 microneedling without PRP as first steps

-3 microneedling with PRP and subcision at same time (subcision, microneedling, full largest dents with PRP and use PRP as lubricant for microneedling device

-3 aggressive subcisions with Bellafill and volbella 3cc over 3 visits with suctioning 3x a day after 

-2 glycolic peels for texture at the end 

90% improvement. I don’t think this is an exaggeration, maybe @beautifulambition can weigh in.


 

also it seems like I didn’t really notice my improvement until about last week. I just kind of continued doing treatments and then stopped being obsessive about it. I got a new phone which helped clear my mind and I just recently looked back. It showed me perspective on how much I’ve improved.

Edited by Matt1274
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Matt1274 said:

I did:

 

-2 microneedling without PRP as first steps

-3 microneedling with PRP and subcision at same time (subcision, microneedling, full largest dents with PRP and use PRP as lubricant for microneedling device

-3 aggressive subcisions with Bellafill and volbella 3cc over 3 visits with suctioning 3x a day after 

-2 glycolic peels for texture at the end 

90% improvement. I don’t think this is an exaggeration, maybe @beautifulambition can weigh in.


 

also it seems like I didn’t really notice my improvement until about last week. I just kind of continued doing treatments and then stopped being obsessive about it. I got a new phone which helped clear my mind and I just recently looked back. It showed me perspective on how much I’ve improved.

This was done over the course of a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, Starlite said:

The argument here is bizarre. Why wouldn't a series of aggressive laser treatments improve Dudley's complexion? And I've noticed that doctors only insist on documenting with pictures in the last few years. 

We can talk crap about lasers, but honestly, a series of lasers can yield improvement depending on the setting of the laser, the skill of the doctor, and the skin type of the patient. For my skin, that would be too ablative, but if you can afford it and it can help, why not?

It's been a long journey for me. I went through a period of lots of at home peels like gylcolic and TCA combined with copper peptides. A total of 5 subcision treatments, sometimes combined with suction, sometimes Fraxel restore. Two additional lasers, once with Sciton (way too aggressive for me!) and another with Halo. I've had probably 50-60% improvement. Not perfect, but I'm not nearly as insecure and self conscious about them, and I feel more comfortable taking pictures. 

I'm not giving up though. I want to do at least one more subcision/laser combination. My pores are still too enlarged. Conveniently, I'm showing signs of aging, so the laser will help with that as well. 

This is super dangerous! I tried to do this at home and injured myself. Please do NOT do it at home! 

Agreeing with Starlite. It only makes sense that the number of treatments Dudley got yielded some improvement, otherwise why would he go through that recovery and spend that much money? 

However, MihaelaP has the right to question everything since the internet is full of lies and exaggeration. Don't believe everything a doctor says!

That being said, this forum is mostly run by patients who care about sharing information and experiences with others. I don't know who Dudley is or if he's even a human being, but he has been here for quite and while and one would tend to think he's here for a good cause. Same with me.

I saw improvement from fractional CO2 (TotalFX). I had it done twice and noticed that some of my scars looked flatter/smoother each time. Was the treatment perfect? NO! After my first treatment, I got new scars. The doctor went pretty aggressively and I got new scars either from the laser or from recovery. I'm talking about new minor divots and uneven skin........ think steps.......... a small patch is just a bit recessed from the other areas. However, it's kinda like scar revision. You are trading one scar for another. So overall, I wasn't extremely satisfied with the procedure because I did get new scars but I don't regret my decision and the trade-off was worth it if it's a black and white answer. I don't suggest people go the aggressive route if they don't need to due to the risks and the long recovery.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
On 8/5/2020 at 12:39 AM, Amanda Hall said:

Agreeing with Starlite. It only makes sense that the number of treatments Dudley got yielded some improvement, otherwise why would he go through that recovery and spend that much money? 

However, MihaelaP has the right to question everything since the internet is full of lies and exaggeration. Don't believe everything a doctor says!

That being said, this forum is mostly run by patients who care about sharing information and experiences with others. I don't know who Dudley is or if he's even a human being, but he has been here for quite and while and one would tend to think he's here for a good cause. Same with me.

I saw improvement from fractional CO2 (TotalFX). I had it done twice and noticed that some of my scars looked flatter/smoother each time. Was the treatment perfect? NO! After my first treatment, I got new scars. The doctor went pretty aggressively and I got new scars either from the laser or from recovery. I'm talking about new minor divots and uneven skin........ think steps.......... a small patch is just a bit recessed from the other areas. However, it's kinda like scar revision. You are trading one scar for another. So overall, I wasn't extremely satisfied with the procedure because I did get new scars but I don't regret my decision and the trade-off was worth it if it's a black and white answer. I don't suggest people go the aggressive route if they don't need to due to the risks and the long recovery.

I am not against lasers. Maybe they can bring some however subtle improvement if the right laser is used by skilled doctors. I'm just more careful and looking for a way to minimize the risks involved. I also don't buy the promises of miracles of some doctors. Acne scar correction is a slow process of many treatments, not a quick fix! 

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 1:14 PM, Kay24 said:

How did you like the halo procedure? that's the only laser I might do as suggested by my surgeon. Is it decent at resurfacing?

Thank you for sharing! I'm so happy to hear about successful outcomes. 

Sorry, I didn't see your reply. I thought it was just okay. Better than Fraxel, but not as much improvement as with Sciton. I think it cost me $1000 and I definitely wouldn't pay that much again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
18 minutes ago, Starlite said:

Sorry, I didn't see your reply. I thought it was just okay. Better than Fraxel, but not as much improvement as with Sciton. I think it cost me $1000 and I definitely wouldn't pay that much again. 

Hi Starlite. Do u mean the sciton erbium fully ablative laser? what improvement did u get percentagewise? which scars improved the most? Sorry for the many questions, but I am a bit desperate right now, disappointed that I cannot treat my terrible skin because of the pandemic,not knowing which treatment I should try next, if rf microneedling or lasers. People say lasers can give good improvement for rolling and boxcar scars and I am tempted to try and I am very happy to read youve got results. 

Edited by Guest
spelling error
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BlueMaloney said:

Hi Starlite. Do u mean the sciton erbium fully ablative laser? what improvement did u get percentagewise? which scars improved the most? Sorry for the many questions, but I am a bit desperate right now, disappointed that I cannot treat my terrible skin because of the pandemic,not knowing which treatment I should try next, if rf microneedling or lasers. People say lasers can give good improvement for rolling and boxcar scars and I am tempted to try and I am very happy to read youve got results. 

It was the Sciton Profractional Laser. Unfortunately, it caused some fat/volume loss. But people commented that my skin looked smoother a few months later. The loss of volume was devastating though so I’ll never get that laser again. 
 

I don’t remember seeing much improvement from the Halo. I would guess then maybe 10%? I’ve had more improvement from subcision. And sadly, I had a pimple when I received the treatment that became permanently raised. It’s not too noticeable, but now I’m considering other treatments like microneedling to remove it. Although that proves that it definitely was more aggressive than fraxel, I just don’t remember noticing a difference. 
 

I would recommend subcision combined with another treatment if you have rolling scars. If you have the money, I’ve heard people getting the best improvement from boxcar scars with punch float or punch elevation or skin grafting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
11 hours ago, Starlite said:

It was the Sciton Profractional Laser. Unfortunately, it caused some fat/volume loss. But people commented that my skin looked smoother a few months later. The loss of volume was devastating though so I’ll never get that laser again. 
 

I don’t remember seeing much improvement from the Halo. I would guess then maybe 10%? I’ve had more improvement from subcision. And sadly, I had a pimple when I received the treatment that became permanently raised. It’s not too noticeable, but now I’m considering other treatments like microneedling to remove it. Although that proves that it definitely was more aggressive than fraxel, I just don’t remember noticing a difference. 
 

I would recommend subcision combined with another treatment if you have rolling scars. If you have the money, I’ve heard people getting the best improvement from boxcar scars with punch float or punch elevation or skin grafting. 

Thank you for the reply and I am really sorry to read you suffered volume loss from the aggressive laser. It is what I am afraid of too. I guess most demratologists just use standard settings and my skin is papar thin. There is really a risk. I am thinking of travelling abroad when the restrictions fall, at least I will know the doctor is competent and knows what they are doing. 

10% improvement doesnt sound very promising to me and doesnt justify the price and the risks of lasers. I have mixed scarring but its the few rolling scars that are the worst!!

Thanks for the suggestions. Can you recommend someody who specializes in punch float or skin grafting. I havent read much about those treatments here on the board or in general. Is this what you will be doing next.

Edited by Guest
edit
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 1:07 AM, BlueMaloney said:

Thank you for the reply and I am really sorry to read you suffered volume loss from the aggressive laser. It is what I am afraid of too. I guess most demratologists just use standard settings and my skin is papar thin. There is really a risk. I am thinking of travelling abroad when the restrictions fall, at least I will know the doctor is competent and knows what they are doing. 

10% improvement doesnt sound very promising to me and doesnt justify the price and the risks of lasers. I have mixed scarring but its the few rolling scars that are the worst!!

Thanks for the suggestions. Can you recommend someody who specializes in punch float or skin grafting. I havent read much about those treatments here on the board or in general. Is this what you will be doing next.

It's okay, luckily that just comes with getting older, too. I've thought about getting fat transfer to my face, but I'd like to get more treatments first (i.e. laser and subcision). I also want to lose weight before I do this. 

 

Yeah, I don't think Halo is worth it if you have medium to deep scarring. And sorry, I don't know who to recommend. There were doctors recommended in this forum, but I'm not sure if they're still practicing. 

 

I would highly recommend going to a plastic surgeon instead of a dermatologist though, since they're cutting into you, and there's a certain amount of training and finesse to do this well. I remember one post where the punch excision was cheap and I encouraged him to go through with it (much to my regret), and the dermatologist he went to made the scar worse. 

 

Good luck! 

....or you could maybe find a board certified Derm with lots of experience treating scarring?

 

I just read this and the doctor seems to have experience with scar removal:

 

https://www.realself.com/question/nj-tca-cross-punch-excision-working-correctly-worried-tca-cross-scar-larger

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
14 hours ago, Starlite said:

It's okay, luckily that just comes with getting older, too. I've thought about getting fat transfer to my face, but I'd like to get more treatments first (i.e. laser and subcision). I also want to lose weight before I do this. 

 

Yeah, I don't think Halo is worth it if you have medium to deep scarring. And sorry, I don't know who to recommend. There were doctors recommended in this forum, but I'm not sure if they're still practicing. 

 

I would highly recommend going to a plastic surgeon instead of a dermatologist though, since they're cutting into you, and there's a certain amount of training and finesse to do this well. I remember one post where the punch excision was cheap and I encouraged him to go through with it (much to my regret), and the dermatologist he went to made the scar worse. 

 

Good luck! 

....or you could maybe find a board certified Derm with lots of experience treating scarring?

 

I just read this and the doctor seems to have experience with scar removal:

 

https://www.realself.com/question/nj-tca-cross-punch-excision-working-correctly-worried-tca-cross-scar-larger

Thank you Starlite. You've been really helpful since I am wondering if I should get laser or energy device next and so far all I've been reading here is in favor of energy. 

I hope you get the improvement you wish for, one way or another. :)

I don't know any good plastic surgeons in my area. My best bet would be travelling to Dr Emil in Denmark once the restrictions fall, as he seems to be everyone's favourite doctor in Europe. I know for sure he offers Genius, I'll have to ask him about the punch techniques. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 1:28 AM, Liquid_Ocelot said:

What degree of improvement did you see? - almost completely fixed. About 95% improvement. 

How would you rate the happiness you felt right after having your scars diminished? - it happened gradually but I remember after the first microneedling I realised that this could be the cure 

How does it affect your happiness months and/or years later? - extremely. It's not really the happiness that's the best part, it's the fact that you don't need to tire yourself mentally thinking about it anymore. Wondering if people are looking at you or if your skin looks horrible in harsh lighting. 

 

After looking back on the money, possible pain and recovery time, would you consider it important to your overall happiness? - incredibly important. Though I may be more vain than the average individual, who knows. 

Congratulation! Could you share us what you did to treat your acne scars?

Edited by Thao125
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×