Notifications
Clear all

Can tretinoin help with atrophic acne scars?

MemberMember
(@monkieturtlegmail-com)

Posted : 04/27/2020 12:40 am

Does using tretinoin help with indented scars like ice pick, boxcars and rolling? And do the scars returnif I stop using it?

MemberMember
(@ambergris)

Posted : 04/27/2020 2:26 pm

It helps with shallow scars. I've been using .1% gel for 5 months and it hasn't made the deep scars go away but the shallow scars are hardly noticeable.

MemberMember
(@monkieturtlegmail-com)

Posted : 04/27/2020 5:29 pm

3 hours ago, ambergris said:

It helps with shallow scars. I've been using .1% gel for 5 months and it hasn't made the deep scars go away but the shallow scars are hardly noticeable.

Did you experience any purge when your first started? How long did the purge take? And do you think the gel version is better than the cream?

MemberMember
(@daelz7)

Posted : 04/27/2020 6:07 pm

38 minutes ago, monkieturtle said:

Did you experience any purge when your first started? How long did the purge take? And do you think the gel version is better than the cream?

yes there is a big purge , for me atleast. terrible acne. I barely got my first cyst today after 6 months on it, when I apply it on the cyst it goes away in a week or so.

MemberMember
(@dodgerguy)

Posted : 04/28/2020 12:18 am

Adapalene 0.3% was used in a recent research that showed some improvement with atrophic scarring. I don't know how reliable it was because the research didn't have many participants. Retinoids like adapalene andtretinoin could possiblyhelp with scarring with their exfoliating properties, but everyone is different. I've also read some users had worse skin texture from usingtretinoin. Whether it's a topical or procedure in the office, there's always a risk with everything.

MemberMember
(@ambergris)

Posted : 04/28/2020 10:19 am

16 hours ago, monkieturtle said:

No purge for me. I think because I was using 0.05% cream prior to switching to the gel. The gel worked way better for me. I was on the cream for about a year and it did nothing for me.

MemberMember
(@vidrar)

Posted : 04/30/2020 2:40 pm

I'm using Retin-A and it definitely faded (not completely, but good improvement) my non-acne creases (laugh lines, crows feet). The big drawback, the immense amount of peeling/flaking it creates.

MemberMember
(@joeysk)

Posted : 05/17/2020 5:09 pm

For me I have hyper pigmented skin. I use tret for 3 months, and it reduced the color pigment within the scar and therefore looks less deep. Also I did TCA/Phenol cross.

MemberMember
(@steven9210gmail-com)

Posted : 05/21/2020 9:55 am

How frequently would you apply 0.1%?

MemberMember
(@tomwaits)

Posted : 06/02/2020 6:18 pm

On 5/21/2020 at 5:55 PM, Scotsman1 said:

How frequently would you apply 0.1%?

Every night before bed and use sunscreen