Notifications
Clear all

Scar treatment recommendation? Ice pick and Box

MemberMember
(@esquadrado)

Posted : 04/20/2020 2:36 pm

Hello everyone! This is my first post here so I™m unsure as to whether I™m posting in the right place. 

I wanted some help in regards to what treatment do you guys recommend for me? 

Some backstory on me, I had aggressive and persistent acne as soon as I turned into a teenager. Both of my parents had horrible acne and have scarring now.  Took accutane when I was about 17. All my acne was gone. Then it came back. I started doing facials and saw improvement at first. Then I noticed I had these horrible scars left. My confidence has been pretty shaken by them and although they don™t disrupt my life, they are always in the back of my mind whenever I interact with others. 

I had 2 chemical peels done within about a year and now I™m being recommended a micro-needling with PRP at the clinic. But I wanted to consult with you all before spending so much money and messing with my skin anymore. My skin looks so bad now

🙁 and I™m only 22 years old and feel like this is holding me back. Any comments or suggestions are welcome! 

For now I™m doing my skincare + a retina at night.
E6389E69-5053-4E78-ACA2-D8C242AB86E9.jpeg.5c6cc70cb22da2cffa0b17f2967f7fb5.jpeg6066A255-3E24-4411-9FE8-39809F8CBB51.jpeg.4808b45150f9f24f56d6feb133b14b62.jpeg

MemberMember
(@dodgerguy)

Posted : 04/20/2020 11:56 pm

You should first get a handle of the acne. Retin-A is great if it's helping. Look at the foods you're eating, as thing like dairy can cause some people to break out. The supplements I take that help keep acne at bay are: zinc, vitamin C, selenium, and sometimes lysine. Drink 6-8 cups of water daily and several cups of veggies daily as well.

You could go with CROSS for the ice picks scars. I prefer phenol CROSS but you can try TCA CROSS as well if you can't find a derm to use phenol. Microneedling with PRP seems like a waste of money right now, so I wouldn't do it. Try CROSS and once your scars are leveled off you can try a chemical peel or a laser like erbium! Vbeam for redness from CROSS if it lingers too long.

Kay24 and Esquadrado liked
MemberMember
(@esquadrado)

Posted : 04/21/2020 1:38 am

@dodgerguy Thank you for your response! Yes the the retinA has been helping so much to keep my acne under controlled, and I™m pretty confident that it™ll clear up this breakout I have right now cause it™s been helping me a lot. I™m lactose intolerant so I don™t do much dairy except when I™m really craving ice cream or a pizza...  but I do notice my skin does hate dairy and fast food so no more of those. I™ve been upping my water intake cause I really was not drinking any at all before..

I haven™t taken any supplements as of yet, so I™ll give those a try! 

I hadn™t heard at all of Phenol cross so I™m going to go research that now. Can I ask why you prefer it over TCA CROSS? Thank you again!! 

Update: I do live in South Florida and was not able to find any derms that do phenol cross. I only found phenol peels. I was able to find a couple that do TCA across, so this will possibly be my next step.

MemberMember
(@rockyracoon)

Posted : 04/22/2020 4:12 pm

If you live in South Florida Id recommend seeing Dr Weiner! I know he does TCA but not sure about phenol though...

MemberMember
(@monkieturtlegmail-com)

Posted : 04/27/2020 9:05 am

How long have you been using retin A? Did you purge and does it help with acne scars?

MemberMember
(@esquadrado)

Posted : 04/30/2020 6:17 pm

On 4/27/2020 at 10:05 AM, monkieturtle said:

How long have you been using retin A? Did you purge and does it help with acne scars?

Hey @monkieturtle, Ive been using retinA for about 2 months now every night, I experienced a purge like 1 1/2 week after using it, but afterwards my skin had no breakouts at all. Ive noticed it has helped my scars but only to a certain extent since if you have really deep scars, youll need more than a topical to help!

MemberMember
(@monkieturtlegmail-com)

Posted : 05/01/2020 7:17 pm

On 4/30/2020 at 4:17 PM, esquadrado said:

Hey @monkieturtle, Ive been using retinA for about 2 months now every night, I experienced a purge like 1 1/2 week after using it, but afterwards my skin had no breakouts at all. Ive noticed it has helped my scars but only to a certain extent since if you have really deep scars, youll need more than a topical to help!

What strength are on for retin A? How many times did you use when you first started?