Notifications
Clear all

1x per week accutane for oily skin?

MemberMember
(@eemarsh44)

Posted : 04/07/2020 2:43 pm

My acne is under control now, and my dermatologist suggested I try 40mg once per week to decrease my oil production (I have super oily skin). I'm wondering if anyone has tried this? I'm wondering if the side effects would be minimal on this small of a dose?

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 04/08/2020 10:20 am

I would personally never touch isotretinoin unless absolutely necessary.

At a low dose, people get less side effects, but isotretinoin permanently changes your skin and body. Permanently. That is a big deal. Anything that permanently alters you should be met with intense hesitancy in my opinion.

What about aging? Will permanently reducing your oil output lead to premature aging?

What about your joints? Will they fair as well for the rest of your life if you take isotretinoin?

Basically, I wouldn't touch isotretinoin with a 10 foot pole unless I hadsevere acne. It can be a godsend in cases like that, but if you are just dealing with oily skin it seems incredibly aggressive to me. If oily skin is really bugging you, botox injections are also an option and research is showing they are effective, and most importantly, temporary, so it won't change your body forever.

MemberMember
(@eemarsh44)

Posted : 04/08/2020 2:50 pm

Thank you, I appreciate your input. You're right-oily skin is my only issue currently, and it is big guns.