Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
giababy

benzoyl peroxide vs. salicylic acid

Haha well I'll give my input here. First off, im stating how I feel, so I really dont need people jumping on me or calling me an idiot, a debate is fine, but rudeness isnt tolerated. I hate when people cant have a mature conversation.

I used mandelic and BP together for a long time. I had no problems. I also used salicylic acid and BP together for a long time and had no problems. To be truthful I was told by my doctor that salicylic and BP are a great combination together. Salicylic Acid clears the pores of dead skin cells and other debris clogging it. After that, applying BP allows it to penetrate deeper and kill the bacteria.

Now correct me if im wrong, but the three main causes of acne...yes i know there may be a million, but the 3 ones that actually have medical evidence backing them....are over production of oil (sebum), clogged pores, and bacteria. Oil is a hard one to control. But to unclog pores and kill bacteria, that is something you can do.

Paulas Choice, one of the biggest names on the market right now, im sure you hear about them all the time, she reccommends a regimen consisting of SA and BP. Personally I think its is very logical. Unclog pores, kill bacteria.

I also know its stated on here that many websites say SA and BP shouldnt be used together. But then on half of those websites they say....which again is a medical proven fact.....that SA allows deeper penetration of other products used alog with it, and also allows them to do their jobs better. Examples are BP, Moisturizer, Sulfur, etc.

Irritation could be a factor though. I never had any. If i used a crappy moisturizer I did but once i used a heavier one i was fine. If you have very sensitive skin, well then this could be a problem. But there are a lot of people who use those two and see great results. Its really in the person and how their skin reacts.

I do know this, acne sucks, and its a real bitch for us all, so no matter what you use you have problems. I wish nobody had acne, I wouldnt even wish it on my enemies. good luck to everyone fighting it.

Also I wish snowqueen would give us her input, shes very good with this.

My guess would be that the fact that the SA allows the BP to penetrate better is precisely the problem. Some people's skin may just be too sensitive for that. It would be like slathering a 10% BP all over your face or something, rather than the 2.5%.

This is certainly the case for my skin. When I dialed down from the 10% BP to the 2.5% BP, I noticed improvement. I also noticed that when I didn't mix SA and BP my skin looked better. I wasn't sure why, or if this was just me, I just knew that the two didn't mix well for me.

My Solution: buy two cleansers and two spot treatments, and switch it up depending on what your skin is doing. (I've been able to get my skin fairly clear through spiro and BC, so these days I'm usually dealing with no more than 2 or 3 active papules.)

When my skin is flaky and my blackheads look especially nasty, I use a wash with SA (right now I'm using Ambi . . . but I'm not sure how I feel about it) and treat my spots with Clean and Clear SA treatment. This is my usual treatment, since blackheads are my main problem.

WHen I have a cyst or papules that won't go away, that's when I bring out the big guns. I wash with Clean and Clear for Sensitive Skin (it has Triclosan, not BP, so I'm thinking about changing after seeing a thread here) and spot treat with BP (Neutrogena On the Spot).

I've found that switching from an SA reg. to a BP/Triclosan reg. depending on skin condition to be very effective. I still have acne to deal with, of course, but it isn't too bad and the spots usually go away pretty fast.

NOTE: In my signature it says I use the Aveeno Calming Wash. This is because I wanted to use the same wash everyday and since the Aveeno was unmedicated it seemed like a good bet. But I'm going through a stressful time and think I need medication in my cleanser and in my spot treatment now. I know they say that if you use medicated cleanser you're wasting your moolah, since the medication washes down the drain. I just know that using a medicated cleanser seems to help ME.

I think its a bit annoying that some people are like: you can NOT mix the two , because I do every single day and it works fine.

Its relative.

Is this using BHA and BP together at the same time on your face? Or is it that BHA is never tolerated at all if you had BP on your face before even if you washed it off? Isn't Dan and alot of people doing BP at night and BHA in the morning? I'm a little confused.

Is this using BHA and BP together at the same time on your face? Or is it that BHA is never tolerated at all if you had BP on your face before even if you washed it off? Isn't Dan and alot of people doing BP at night and BHA in the morning? I'm a little confused.

theres nothing wrong with using sa in the morning and bp at night. the irritation usually comes when u use them both on your face at the same time.

I am gonna stick to BP from now on. stupid ass SA made me go backwards but i didnt think i needed anything as strong as BP cause i was clearing up nicely cept for those darn red marks!

Yes I started using Dan's bp gel before but was using it with my usual cleanser which was quite harsh - and often i wasn't moisturising as i wanted to dry the spots out. I've started using this gel again but with the whole regimen and trying to do it properly. So i'm washing gently with his gentle cleanser and I'm using his moisturiser. In the morning though, i wasn't using bp gel, just washing gently and using Vichy Normaderm which has salic acid in it. I was doing this because i need to wear makeup and the moisturiser doesn't absorb quick enough in the mornings and i want an oil free base to apply make up over. But from this post, obviously combining salic acid and bp isn't a good idea?

Newbie here... I was using proactive (has bp 2.5) and then started using the bare minerals for makeup, comes with primer that has SA - I started using it everyday and now I am completely broken out around upper lip, nose and chin. I think the prob was that I was using one right after another? I'm not sure it's a good idea for me. Okay, and then I came here and read about the aspirin mask and decided to try that. Now I realize that aspirin has SA in it! I really hope it doesn't make it worse. But, I agree - we all have different skin types and what works for some may not work for others. I sure am happy to find this site!!! :dance:

I use BP and SA in my regimen but not at the same time. I use SA in the morning and BP+AHA at night and it works great.

Haha well I'll give my input here. First off, im stating how I feel, so I really dont need people jumping on me or calling me an idiot, a debate is fine, but rudeness isnt tolerated. I hate when people cant have a mature conversation.

I used mandelic and BP together for a long time. I had no problems. I also used salicylic acid and BP together for a long time and had no problems. To be truthful I was told by my doctor that salicylic and BP are a great combination together. Salicylic Acid clears the pores of dead skin cells and other debris clogging it. After that, applying BP allows it to penetrate deeper and kill the bacteria.

Now correct me if im wrong, but the three main causes of acne...yes i know there may be a million, but the 3 ones that actually have medical evidence backing them....are over production of oil (sebum), clogged pores, and bacteria. Oil is a hard one to control. But to unclog pores and kill bacteria, that is something you can do.

Paulas Choice, one of the biggest names on the market right now, im sure you hear about them all the time, she reccommends a regimen consisting of SA and BP. Personally I think its is very logical. Unclog pores, kill bacteria.

I also know its stated on here that many websites say SA and BP shouldnt be used together. But then on half of those websites they say....which again is a medical proven fact.....that SA allows deeper penetration of other products used alog with it, and also allows them to do their jobs better. Examples are BP, Moisturizer, Sulfur, etc.

Irritation could be a factor though. I never had any. If i used a crappy moisturizer I did but once i used a heavier one i was fine. If you have very sensitive skin, well then this could be a problem. But there are a lot of people who use those two and see great results. Its really in the person and how their skin reacts.

I do know this, acne sucks, and its a real bitch for us all, so no matter what you use you have problems. I wish nobody had acne, I wouldnt even wish it on my enemies. good luck to everyone fighting it.

Also I wish snowqueen would give us her input, shes very good with this.

Started using Blotchlas but decided I would much rather use Dan's BP than the C&C BP wash. I still use their SA wash combined with Dan's BP and it's been working amazingly so far. *Cross your fingers*

People need to remember that different things work for different people! What works for one person may not work for you.

I, myself, CANNOT use SA. Alone or mixed with BP. It causes the worst breakouts you have ever seen. However I use Alpha Hydro Acid in the morning, and 5% BP at night and this is working wonders for my skin.

If you are just starting out, I think you should pick either SA or BP stick with it for a couple months. Then if you want to add the other product in to your regime, do it gradually and carefully. That way you can track the results and any reactions more effectively.

Before you begin using SA, you should heed the warning that I found on Paula Begoun's website (but not many others which is why I am bringing it up)---do not use SA/Beta hydroxy acid if you have had an allergic reaction to aspririn. After speaking about this with my doctor she also advised me not to use anything with SA because I had an allergic reaction to a sulfa-based antibotic (Bactrim). I've tried to find supporting evidence online for her concern, but haven't found anything specific. But she went to med school I didn't :)

People need to remember that different things work for different people! What works for one person may not work for you.

I, myself, CANNOT use SA. Alone or mixed with BP. It causes the worst breakouts you have ever seen. However I use Alpha Hydro Acid in the morning, and 5% BP at night and this is working wonders for my skin.

If you are just starting out, I think you should pick either SA or BP stick with it for a couple months. Then if you want to add the other product in to your regime, do it gradually and carefully. That way you can track the results and any reactions more effectively.

Before you begin using SA, you should head the warning that I found on Paula Begoun's website---do not use SA/Beta hydroxy acid if you have had an allergic reaction to aspririn. After speaking about this with my doctor she also advised me not to use anything with SA because I had an allergic reaction to a sulfa-based antibotic (Bactrim). I've tried to find supporting evidence online for her concern, but haven't found anything specific. But she went to med school I didn't :)

hey guys right now i use stridex power pads day and night (2.5% BP). i jumped on them pretty randomly...i would say im completely clear right now with a few clogged pores here and there.

im thinking of incorporating SA. my skin is only a LITTLE dry (i dont feel it, but this morning i saw little flakes on my cheeks), but i do NOT use a moisturizer as of now. so im guessing right now i would have no dry skin with a moisturizer.

should i use a 2% SA lotion on top of the BP during the day, should i use only a 2.0% pad at night, or should i use both a 2.0% SA pad and a 2.5% BP pad at night?

thanks.

hey guys right now i use stridex power pads day and night (2.5% BP). i jumped on them pretty randomly...i would say im completely clear right now with a few clogged pores here and there.

im thinking of incorporating SA. my skin is only a LITTLE dry (i dont feel it, but this morning i saw little flakes on my cheeks), but i do NOT use a moisturizer as of now. so im guessing right now i would have no dry skin with a moisturizer.

should i use a 2% SA lotion on top of the BP during the day, should i use only a 2.0% pad at night, or should i use both a 2.0% SA pad and a 2.5% BP pad at night?

thanks.

Consider using SA under bp - as it opens pores and will help the bp penetrate better. SA all over and spot treat bp during the day and see how it goes first, and if it dry out your skin. Then when acclimated, add in SA at night to your reg too if you need to.

I use Neutrogena stress control lotion (2% SA) in the am and spot treat if necc.

well the thing is i cant spot treat with BP. from all my years of having acne, i deduced that all of my successful regimens had anti-bacterials as the main part. if i dont use an anti-bacterial all over, my face will go nuts with deep pimples --->huge whiteheads.

something i noticed today: i have a lot of clogged pores around my chin. they arent noticable unless i look really close in bright light. they arent the type of clogged pores either where there is oil underneath, but rather the type that looks like a little "speck" that i can scrape off.

do you think that my new regimen is causing it, or is it because my skin is trying to open the pores back up from when they were clogged in the last regimen i used (used plexion cleansing cloths, ie an antibacterial and sulfur)? they occured almost immediately the day after i switched regimens.

will a 2% SA moisturizer not do anything if i put it after the BP? i was thinking about it...but then i cant use a sunscreen...will the 2% SA pads cause massive drying?

I haven't read all the replies but I just wanted to say people shouldn't be so scared of using SA with BP. I use a glycolic and salicylic acid cleanser, and then a gel with 2% SA. After a few hours, I put on BP 10%. My skin isn't irritated nor is it red; also, my face is clear - the BP prevents pimples and the SA, blacheads. It also fades red marks.

What really irritates your skin is using too much of a product. The key is consistency - sticking with a regimen. And there's no such thing as a spot treatment. I spent months using BP and it didn't work for me because I was using it as a spot treatment. Big mistake.

what the hell. are there any freaking normal SA products that either 1) dont contain alcohol (all the SA pads have them), 2) arent scrubs, 3) arent spot treatments, 4) isnt a toner, and 5) available in stores?

i cant find anything on CVS's website that fits those criteria. i just want a normal SA product to use every night...

also, how are SA moisturizers? do they do anything? is 0.5% enough concentration to do anything?

what the hell. are there any freaking normal SA products that either 1) dont contain alcohol (all the SA pads have them), 2) arent scrubs, 3) arent spot treatments, 4) isnt a toner, and 5) available in stores?

i cant find anything on CVS's website that fits those criteria. i just want a normal SA product to use every night...

also, how are SA moisturizers? do they do anything? is 0.5% enough concentration to do anything?

http://www.neutrogena.com/econsumer/ntg/te...&subCatId=1

Out of all the things you can buy in a store, this one to me is very good. It has 2% sa in it, but gentle. I use it in the am before I put on moisturizer - it has alot of great properties in it that help with redness and good for sensitive skin. You may have to use every other day if you aren't used to 2% SA - take it slow. I found it as CVS and sometimes Walgreens.

It is a lotion - and it may good enough in place of a moisturizer if you have really oily skin. I would not by the .5% SA moisturizers, I have and they aren't very good.

wow i couldnt find that at CVS or ralph's today...

they had every stress control product except that lol.

I have also done this It is the most horrific thing you can do to your face I use clean and clear Advantage Acne spot treatment all the time but then i picked up a new product clearasil Vanishing acne treatment cream and me i mix acne meds all the time and i never get irritated but then after using a generous amount of both on my face the next day my face was so dry irritated and red all over most of the acne products ive always used have salicylic acid in them so then when i bought this new product with benzoil peroxide and mixed them my face hasnt been the same so I DO NOT ADVISE THE MIXING OF THESE TWO PRODUCTS

post-95864-1234324825_thumb.png

post-95864-1234324843_thumb.png

post-95864-1234324825_thumb.png

post-95864-1234324843_thumb.png

wow i couldnt find that at CVS or ralph's today...

they had every stress control product except that lol.

yo zzzboy, i'm using the same thing as Dwhaa advised; that neutrogena Stress control acne 3in1 hydrating. I got it at Target for like under $7.00 I put that stuff on in the morning and before I go to bed. Works just fine. Amazing how over the counter stuffs have revolutionized. I don't remember seeing these 10% BP nor 2% SA out at the local drugstore like 5years ago.

and Lucky me, I an't anyone of those sensitive skin guys so no complains from me.

have fun

I've found I can use Dan's AHA which contains SA, but that is the only combo of SA and BP I've found works. Otherwise, I heed the OP's words as scripture.