Notifications
Clear all

I'm falling apart

MemberMember
(@aviva)

Posted : 03/31/2020 12:25 pm

Tomorrow is my birthday. I will be twenty-three years old, and I suffer from body and face acne that make my life miserable. It will sound horrible, but at this point doing remote work is a blessing in disguise because I can hide and no one has to see what horrendous skin I have...

I have tried everything, including antibiotics, hormonal treatments, topicals, Accutane, diet changes (dairy-free, vegan, keto, sugar-free, low-FODMAP...), juicing, fasting, meditation, etc. Some have not been without side-effects (muscle pain from Accutane and depression, almost complete hair loss on Spironolactone), but I have always been ready to try everything with the hope that I could finally be freed from this suffering. My whole skin is full of blackheads, whiteheads, and cysts that have started when I was only ten years old. During the short period of remission I had thanks to Accutane which lasted a year, I felt so much relief, no longer having to hide and cry at night because of how ignoble I looked. I no longer had to hear the comments from strangers/well-meaning friends, cover up the bumps with thick layers of foundations, having to deal with the many scars and holes left in my skin because of this.

My acne gradually returned after Accutane, and I feel out of options. I feel so much sadness, I avoid mirrors. I broke up with my boyfriend and on the last night we spent together I remember his hands on my back where the skin was rough/full of bumps and I can't stop crying remembering the embarrassment I felt.

Moreover, I can't talk to anyone about it because of how "vain" it seems, or how it may seem like I have "poor hygiene" which "must explain my acne, obviously" (thanks, friends). I feel so desperate and my mental health is falling apart at this point.

MemberMember
(@hlp334)

Posted : 03/31/2020 7:05 pm

It™s not vain, you just want to take care of yourself and acne is a health related issue. 

Do you experience any other health issues? Any digestion problems? Rosacea/skin flushing? 

I know you™ve said you™ve tried a lot but I figured I™d mention that dapsone 5% gel is the only topical that™s every actually helped my breakouts (pastules, cysts), it™s used as a spot treatment. 

Happy early birthday by the way! :)

Aviva liked
MemberMember
(@aviva)

Posted : 03/31/2020 8:58 pm

Thank you for your kind words. I don't think I have any other health issues besides anemia/fatigue, but I will definitely look into the cream you mention. I'm going to make it my birthday wish for this damn Coronavirus and for acne to disappear from this world!!!!

MemberMember
(@byebyebadskin)

Posted : 06/16/2020 7:46 am

Try the acne.org treatment or if u want lower price buy benezolyl peroxide 2.5 from neutrogena, and then an noncomedgenic cream will work, Im about to try ceraVe sa lotion for rough and bumpy skin

MemberMember
(@straighttalkergradfogmail-com)

Posted : 08/16/2020 12:27 pm

Keep going. At 23 and in employment you have two big things on your side. Research every treatment you can and spend your money wisely on proven treatments.