Notifications
Clear all

PPPE (prolonged post peeling erythema)

MemberMember
(@suvvolo)

Posted : 03/16/2020 10:13 am

Hello to all,
about 9 months ago (24.06.2019) I practiced a 35% tca peeling on my own (I have a skin of medium skin type 4, Mediterranean), today I still have a red halo where the peeling was practiced. I believe it is PPPE (prolonged post peeling erythema).
I read that this complication, if it lasts more than 3 months, is to be considered permanent. Is it true?
mine it's a situation similar to the one in the photo:

what can i do to reduce erythema? Will a retinoic acid and hydroquinone 2% cream help? I also have rosacea creams.

thanks for any advice, all bests

MemberMember
(@ferraritradersgmail-com)

Posted : 03/17/2020 10:32 pm

On 3/16/2020 at 8:13 AM, suvvolo said:

Will a retinoic acid and hydroquinone 2% cream help? I also have rosacea creams.

thanks for any advice, all bests

If it's from a chemical peel, my guess is that there is still left-over skin that hasn't peeled and is just stuck there, and is left discolored. I have a small area of skin about 2mm in diameter from a peel that was done from many many years ago and it still there. It's because it never peeled. It's brown now. The only thing that can remove this is to peel the area again. But at this point it's such as small area that it doesn't bother me so I won't do it.

In your case, if it's red and not brown, it could be erythema. But without seeing photos, I'm only guessing.35% TCA for a peel is strong in my opinion. I'd see a doc to get an opinion.Or, it could be dead skin that was about to peel but is still stuck there. I would also contact an esthetician to see if there could be a mild peel that you can do multiple times to slowly exfoliate the skin. Maybe something mild like an enzyme peel with microdermabrasion... these rarely have complications since they're mild and you may not notice any real hardcore peeling as such with chemical peels. I'd be cautious of any chemical peels unless you're willing to take the risk again... but if you do, go with a board certified dermatologist. I'd also get an opinion of a dermatologist or two to also see what they have to say before doing any procedures.

Hydroquinone in some people can make your skin more red, especially if exposed to the sun. But of course, every person reacts differently.2% hydroquinone is over the counter strength. I'd try once a day to see if it helps. If it appears to get redder after a few days, I'd stop using hydroquinone.

MemberMember
(@suvvolo)

Posted : 03/18/2020 8:57 am

10 hours ago, acnescarcure said:

If it's from a chemical peel, my guess is that there is still left-over skin that hasn't peeled and is just stuck there, and is left discolored. I have a small area of skin about 2mm in diameter from a peel that was done from many many years ago and it still there. It's because it never peeled. It's brown now. The only thing that can remove this is to peel the area again. But at this point it's such as small area that it doesn't bother me so I won't do it.

In your case, if it's red and not brown, it could be erythema. But without seeing photos, I'm only guessing.35% TCA for a peel is strong in my opinion. I'd see a doc to get an opinion.Or, it could be dead skin that was about to peel but is still stuck there. I would also contact an esthetician to see if there could be a mild peel that you can do multiple times to slowly exfoliate the skin. Maybe something mild like an enzyme peel with microdermabrasion... these rarely have complications since they're mild and you may not notice any real hardcore peeling as such with chemical peels. I'd be cautious of any chemical peels unless you're willing to take the risk again... but if you do, go with a board certified dermatologist. I'd also get an opinion of a dermatologist or two to also see what they have to say before doing any procedures.

Hydroquinone in some people can make your skin more red, especially if exposed to the sun. But of course, every person reacts differently.2% hydroquinone is over the counter strength. I'd try once a day to see if it helps. If it appears to get redder after a few days, I'd stop using hydroquinone.

hi thanks for your answer.

responding to what you have assumed, it is a red halo that disappears if I pull the skin with my fingers. so I guess it's an erythema.
I have a similar red halo.
I think I can rule out that the skin has not been exfoliated, because I remember well that the peeling took place correctly on the whole area. I would like to avoid doing another peeling, I don't want to risk it. I think I will try with AHA + HQ cream to see how it goes. Thanks again.
MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 03/18/2020 2:29 pm

Go see a professional at this point to rectify the situation.

35% should be done by a skilled professional. That's really the biggest downside of this forum, people putting highly potent tca all over their face. TCA cross and any tca full face peel more potent than 18% should not be done DIY.