Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all,

a long time lurker, first or second time poster here.

To cut my looong story short I suffered from bad acne which left me with serious scars.

Last month I had 4 areas of my face injected with Restalyne fillers by a skilled beauty expert (a nurse). For the first 4 weeks I saw real improvement - the treated areas were smoother and some scars had disappeared. But for a week now as I've been watching my face in angular lighting and I noticed my scars have re-appeared again. "sigh" I couldn't believe my eyes. 

Is is possible that the filler dissolved in 5 weeks or do you think there has been some swelling that went down in 5 weeks?

I will be really surprised if the filler dissolved. The nurse told me it would last for at least 6 months up to a year. 

Does anyone of you have similar experience with HA fillers? Or how long do the fillers last for you? 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by BlueMaloney

A lot of times if you do not do subcision before you inject fillers, the scar tissue is too dense and so the fillers will extrude into surrounding areas.   That's likely what happened in your case because fillers definitely do not dissolve away completely in 5 weeks.  That's why it's important to subcise the scars first to create a pocket where the fillers can be placed.

Edited by dazzed

Yeah, I have also heard fillers without subcision can result in a doughnut-effect where the filler causes a raised edge around the tethered scar, which can cause scars to look more pronounced.. would definitely look into subcision

Edited by DjDoggpound

4 hours ago, dazzed said:

A lot of times if you do not do subcision before you inject fillers, the scar tissue is too dense and so the fillers will extrude into surrounding areas.   That's likely what happened in your case because fillers definitely do not dissolve away completely in 5 weeks.  That's why it's important to subcise the scars first to create a pocket where the fillers can be placed.

Sorry I forgot to mention. I did get canula subcision a few days prior to the fillers at a dr's office. I chose the nurse/beautician because I've been seeing her for years for treating my skin and she suggested the doctor and subcision first, then the filler. 

4 hours ago, DjDoggpound said:

Yeah, I have also heard fillers without subcision can result in a doughnut-effect where the filler causes a raised edge around the tethered scar, which can cause scars to look more pronounced.. would definitely look into subcision

Yes I know. I had subcision a few days before that. It's so strange. It's been exactly 5 weeks to the day since I had the fillers injected ( on A Saturday). Untill last week I could see improvement and then my scars reappeared. I'm thinking maybe it was due to prolonged swelling that just went away and the fillers didn't do much in the first place. But strangely, at 2 out of 4 treated areas the fillers yield improvement still. On the other 2 areas though, on the cheeks, the scars have re-emerged :( Do you think this could happen if she applied less filler there? 

Edited by BlueMaloney

You usually need a few sessions to really fine tune things.   When you start injecting, the skin starts to swell immediately, which makes injecting scars pretty difficult.  Injecting scars is like a special skill set in itself.  That's why you might need to fine tune things with a few more sessions before things remain stable for some time.  That's my experience anyway.  

On 2/22/2020 at 8:57 PM, BlueMaloney said:

Sorry I forgot to mention. I did get canula subcision a few days prior to the fillers at a dr's office. I chose the nurse/beautician because I've been seeing her for years for treating my skin and she suggested the doctor and subcision first, then the filler. 

Yes I know. I had subcision a few days before that. It's so strange. It's been exactly 5 weeks to the day since I had the fillers injected ( on A Saturday). Untill last week I could see improvement and then my scars reappeared. I'm thinking maybe it was due to prolonged swelling that just went away and the fillers didn't do much in the first place. But strangely, at 2 out of 4 treated areas the fillers yield improvement still. On the other 2 areas though, on the cheeks, the scars have re-emerged :( Do you think this could happen if she applied less filler there? 

Sorry I don't know about that unfortunately...

I also recently had my first subcision with fillers (around 4 and a half weeks ago), and I can also see that some scars which seemed filled in the first weeks have started to reappear. But since my understanding is that you usually can't get everything sorted out in one go, I kind of expected it. I expect to do atleast 3-4 subcisions for further improvements...

By the way, I think that some unevenness in the skin can come from lumps caused by the subcision itself, and this can perhaps make some scars look more visible. Have you tried any massaging to help smooth things out?

Edited by DjDoggpound

55 minutes ago, DjDoggpound said:

Sorry I don't know about that unfortunately...

I also recently had my first subcision with fillers (around 4 and a half weeks ago), and I can also see that some scars which seemed filled in the first weeks have started to reappear. But since my understanding is that you usually can't get everything sorted out in one go, I kind of expected it. I expect to do atleast 3-4 subcisions for further improvements...

By the way, I think that some unevenness in the skin can come from lumps caused by the subcision itself, and this can perhaps make some scars look more visible. Have you tried any massaging to help smooth things out?

Yes I guess you're right that you cannot sort scars out in one go. I was actually pretty happy with the results and was planning to repeat the procedure in 4-6 months to top it up so to speak. What I didn't expect is the good result to last only for a few weeks. That way it's absolutely not worth the money for me - i cannot affort fillers every two months or so.

So It's not just me who sees diminishing results unfortunately. I hope you see better results with more treatments. Do you mind sharing what type of fillers you got? 

Yes I wad advised to massage the spots and I did so dilligently for the first 10 days or so. No lumps developed thankfully. then I stopped because there was no need to massage any more. I don't see any lumps. 

Anyway. Thanks for the info! 

Edited by BlueMaloney