Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey,

These are scars, you might think it’s acne because they’re hyperpigmented. If you use angled lighting you’ll see the underlying scars better. The redness will naturally go away in 3-12months, just make sure you apply sunscreen. Especially because you’re on accutane and your skin is a lot more sensitive. And no, accutane won’t do anything for these.

I have a few similar scars to yours on my forehead and have done some things which have helped, namely chemical peels and subsicion. But I’d wait at least 6 months after accutane and would get a second opinion on this forum if you’re considering scar treatments down the line.
 

For the near future you’ll find that once the redness subsides on its own your skin will look a lot better. The redness is far more noticeable than anything else IMO. Good luck :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RockyRacoon said:

Hey,

These are scars, you might think it’s acne because they’re hyperpigmented. If you use angled lighting you’ll see the underlying scars better. The redness will naturally go away in 3-12months, just make sure you apply sunscreen. Especially because you’re on accutane and your skin is a lot more sensitive. And no, accutane won’t do anything for these.

I have a few similar scars to yours on my forehead and have done some things which have helped, namely chemical peels and subsicion. But I’d wait at least 6 months after accutane and would get a second opinion on this forum if you’re considering scar treatments down the line.
 

For the near future you’ll find that once the redness subsides on its own your skin will look a lot better. The redness is far more noticeable than anything else IMO. Good luck :) 

 

I'm only taking accutane because my dermatologist said it would give me clear skin so if it isn't going to get rid of my scars I want to stop taking it. I don't want to keep spending hundreds of dollars on a medication that isn't going to work for me.

 

I don't know who to believe because everyone on the internet says accutane doesn't get rid of acne scars but my dermatologist told me it'll give me clear skin. Are you telling me accutane won't even get rid of the red marks?

 

It's so frustrating because I've had acne problems for 13 years (since I was 11 I'm 24 now) and my dermatologist sold me a false dream of a magical pill that'll finally make it all go away. If I have to wait another 6 months before I can begin my journey to clear skin I'm gonna be so depressed.

Edited by ScreechingPiano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What he meant by clear skin is not having additional acne which will prevent further scarring. The redness will fade on its own with proper care, with or without accutane.

Many dermatologists nowadays do scar treatments while on accutane but I’ve gotten adverse effects from that so I wouldn’t go there. It makes your skin extra sensitive.

Unfortunately there is no magic pill and I know how much it can suck, I’m also 24 and I went through the same thing as you. You’ll have to wait it out, going on a scar journey takes a lot of strength, I’m on mine right now and I know I have a few years down the line until I’m completely satisfied (I also have scars on my cheeks). Just know that people in this forum are going through the same thing and we’re all here to support each other. You’re not alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe you have fairly shallow boxcar/rolling scars. Generally, subcision should help, but filler is not done on the forehead. So probably subcision and suction. After a few sessions, RF microneedling. TCA works for any icepicks/large pores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zephyr101 said:

I believe you have fairly shallow boxcar/rolling scars. Generally, subcision should help, but filler is not done on the forehead. So probably subcision and suction. After a few sessions, RF microneedling. TCA works for any icepicks/large pores.

Do you know how much it'll cost?

16 hours ago, RockyRacoon said:

What he meant by clear skin is not having additional acne which will prevent further scarring. The redness will fade on its own with proper care, with or without accutane.

Many dermatologists nowadays do scar treatments while on accutane but I’ve gotten adverse effects from that so I wouldn’t go there. It makes your skin extra sensitive.

Unfortunately there is no magic pill and I know how much it can suck, I’m also 24 and I went through the same thing as you. You’ll have to wait it out, going on a scar journey takes a lot of strength, I’m on mine right now and I know I have a few years down the line until I’m completely satisfied (I also have scars on my cheeks). Just know that people in this forum are going through the same thing and we’re all here to support each other. You’re not alone.

If I stop taking accutane now do I still have to wait 6 months until I start subscision? I've only been taking accutane for less than 2 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ScreechingPiano It depends where you live. Subcision without filler is much cheaper than with filler. I would estimate somewhere in the range of $200 to $500 per session. Rf microneedling is somewhere in the range of $600 to $1000. It really depends. Google your state and "rf microneedling" or "subcision." TCA generally about $200-$300 per session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s up to you whether you want to stop taking it. If you have active acne and are responding positively to it, I’d do the full round and just wait it out. It’s frustrating but these things require a lot of patience. Also most doctors wouldn’t do scar treatments on you if you have active acne. Better to target one problem at a time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RockyRacoon said:

It’s up to you whether you want to stop taking it. If you have active acne and are responding positively to it, I’d do the full round and just wait it out. It’s frustrating but these things require a lot of patience. Also most doctors wouldn’t do scar treatments on you if you have active acne. Better to target one problem at a time. 

When you look at my pictures you don't see any acne? It's only scars? Because whatever is on my forehead is what I'm trying to get rid of. If it's not acne then I don't have any active acne so if that's the case I'll stop taking accutane and will ask a doctor to treat my scars.

 

Edited by ScreechingPiano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ScreechingPiano said:

When you look at my pictures you don't see any acne? It's only scars? Because whatever is on my forehead is what I'm trying to get rid of. If it's not acne then I don't have any active acne so if that's the case I'll stop taking accutane and will ask a doctor to treat my scars.

 

These are early scars. If you have them, then you know what acne looks like. When was the last time you had acne? Do you not have any inflammation whatsoever?

If you haven’t had active breakouts for a while and your doctor is prescribing accutane, you need to run for the hills. Your doctor is either an idiot or out for your money. Most likely the latter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×