Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Funk

Margarite Acne Pills...

Hello,

My Esthetician recommended that I start taking Chinese medicine, as she was calling it.

They are called MARGARITE ACNE PILLS. You get them at a good natural health foods store. All the ingredients seem to be pretty herbal.

Has anyone ever heard of these or taken these before?

Im kinda concerned about this sticker thats on the bottle of the pills...it says its a CA prop 65 statement...hmm,

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects and/or other reproductive harm.

That kinda scares me.

Anyone know anything about these?

Guest OnlyJoe

These days, what doesnt cause cancer.. But i agree, they sound dangerous. i dont hate acne enough to give my self cancer or reproductive damage. do research first or ask your esthetician (sp?)

I usually don't trust products made by Chinese. It's just that they don't have a quality regulation inspections in China, I think. I don't know. I'm not discriminating the Chinese or anything. I'm part Chinese myself.

Try Loma Lux or the more known brands.

These days, what doesnt cause cancer.. But i agree, they sound dangerous. i dont hate acne enough to give my self cancer or reproductive damage. do research first or ask your esthetician (sp?)

Hello,

My Esthetician recommended that I start taking Chinese medicine, as she was calling it.

They are called MARGARITE ACNE PILLS. You get them at a good natural health foods store. All the ingredients seem to be pretty herbal.

Has anyone ever heard of these or taken these before?

Im kinda concerned about this sticker thats on the bottle of the pills...it says its a CA prop 65 statement...hmm,

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects and/or other reproductive harm.

That kinda scares me.

Anyone know anything about these?

I had heard of these pills a LONG time ago. I think back in 1993 or 1994 on alt.folklore.herbs or alt.skincare.acne (usenet netnews). I was looking all over for them but couldn't find them back then. Back then I was really into TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) and herbs. Nowadays I realize it's mostly a waste of time. Oh yeah, I remember back then I did find someone who lumped them together in a kind of grocery list for herbal potions to take for acne. One other one was called "Tri-Snakes Counter-Poison Pill". It supposedly detoxifies your blood and can be used if you get a bite from a venemous snake. I think the idea behind the Margarite is that it's also supposed to detoxify the blood by most likely working on the liver, spleen, and pancreas. But that's just a hypothesis. I don't know what the ingredients are in the Margarite pills. If you find out the ingredients list, post them. Then we'll know why it is that it has a cancer warning.

I think a study came out saying that something like 50% of all herbs imported from China contain unsafe levels of mercury and other heavy metals.

Also, I doubt there's any evidence showing that Margarite or any other herbal potion or pill can help acne. But I'd love to see it.

Steve

Austin, Texas USA

I had heard of these pills a LONG time ago.  I think back in 1993 or 1994 on alt.folklore.herbs or alt.skincare.acne (usenet netnews).  I was looking all over for them but couldn't find them back then.  Back then I was really into TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) and herbs.  Nowadays I realize it's mostly a waste of time.  Oh yeah,  I remember back then I did find someone who lumped them together in a kind of grocery list for herbal potions to take for acne.  One other one was called "Tri-Snakes Counter-Poison Pill".  It supposedly detoxifies your blood and can be used if you get a bite from a venemous snake.  I think the idea behind the Margarite is that it's also supposed to detoxify the blood by most likely working on the liver, spleen,  and pancreas.  But that's just a hypothesis.  I don't know what the ingredients are in the Margarite pills.  If you find out the ingredients list,  post them.  Then we'll know why it is that it has a cancer warning.

I think a study came out saying that something like 50% of all herbs imported from China contain unsafe levels of mercury and other heavy metals.

Also,  I doubt there's any evidence showing that Margarite or any other herbal potion or pill can help acne.  But I'd love to see it.

Steve

Austin, Texas USA

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that response.

Heres what the ingrediants are:

Lonicera Japonica Flower

Rehnammia Glutinosa root-raw

Zostera Marina herb

Pteria Margaritifera pearl

Bubalus bubalis horn

Bos taurus domesticus bezoar-synthetic

jin yin hua

Sheng di huang

Hai dai

Shen Shu

Shui niu

Jiao

Niu huang

You can see why Im uncertain about them...I have never heard of any of these things.

They have Peral Powder in them which is the only thing I know about...I know that pearl powder is believed to improve the texture and appearance of the skin.

I did some research and found out that the harmful substance in the pills is called Sophoridane

But, I can not seem to find anything detailing me of what Sophoridane is or does???

I think you are right Steve, Im thinking some sort of metal.

I was told these pills do wonders and that noticeable results would be present in less than 5 days.

My Esthetician strongly believes that my acne is related to my diet. I have really been starting to think about this and I think she may very well be right. My acne started when I moved out of my house (no more home cooking, lots of junk food)

So these pills help with that. They supposedly cool and cleanse the blood and surface, dispelling toxins and relieving swollen masses.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that response.

Heres what the ingrediants are:

You can see why Im uncertain about them...I have never heard of any of these things.

They have Peral Powder in them which is the only thing I know about...I know that pearl powder is believed to improve the texture and appearance of the skin.

I did some research and found out that the harmful substance in the pills is called Sophoridane

But, I can not seem to find anything detailing me of what Sophoridane is or does???

I think you are right Steve, Im thinking some sort of metal.

I was told these pills do wonders and that noticeable results would be present in less than 5 days.

My Esthetician strongly believes that my acne is related to my diet. I have really been starting to think about this and I think she may very well be right. My acne started when I moved out of my house (no more home cooking, lots of junk food)

So these pills help with that. They supposedly cool and cleanse the blood and surface, dispelling toxins and relieving swollen masses.

Yeah, beats me about that list of herbs. I'd have to consult my herb books, and it's been years since I cared to do that. Hahaha.

The only way a pill could decrease acne in just 5 days is through the placebo effect. Not even antibiotics get that kind of result. For any real progress on acne, it generally takes 3-5 months.

Most TCM doctors have stated on record that they do not believe that TCM can cure or even help acne, since most of them are under the opinion that acne is a very complex thing that requires constant adjustment. Their words, not mine. I know most real TCM doctors (real, meaning from China after having spent dozens of years in practice) will actually turn away patients if the patients ask them to heal their acne. Instead, as a patient, you have to simply say that your acne is a symptom of something else, and would they please bring you into balance. Say that and you have a chance. They will be the first ones to tell you, however, that you should not judge their results by the appearance of your face. In other words, if it works great, if it doesn't, don't complain. That way they save face, no pun intended.

I'm less convinced it's a diet thing. It could have some link with diet, but it's perhaps just one thing in a long list of things. I'm most convinced that the cause of acne is bad genes. Our bodies will produce acne no matter what we do, basically. Though we could maybe lessen it to a certain degree by doing things such as diet. Who knows. I'm just saying you'll have better results following a tried-and-true program of benzoyl peroxide, antibiotics, sulfur, or retinoids. Those are proven to work and work well. The diet and holistic approach may help, but not as much as those other things I mentioned. So you can turn your entire life inside out, upside down and become an extreme dieter and fill your day with "cleansing" exercises and preparations to become "cleansed". Or you can take 1 minute out of your day to use benzoyl peroxide and get better results without having to go through that.

If you do take the pills, however, please let us know what your results are. And not just 2 weeks into it. I'm more interested in what happens 3 or 4 months into it. By then I think the placebo effect would have worn off. Maybe not.

Good luck!

Steve

Austin, Texas USA

I practice Chinese Medicine and my emphasis in CM school was dermatology. Margarite Acne pills are very effective at clearing most types of acne. They should not be taken long term. The reason for the warning was a lady ended up with kidney injury after taking them for 7 years continuously. My suggestion would be to take them for a month and then give your body a break for a few weeks before taking them again.

Hope this helps,

Heather Vandeburg LAc MSOM