Notifications
Clear all

Considering accutane..

MemberMember
(@bellasmith11)

Posted : 11/23/2019 6:14 pm

Desperate for some advice!

Suffered with bad skin for years and been back and forth to my GP. My acne covers my whole chin and above my mouth area but lately has appeared on my forehead which I have never suffered with!The prescriptions seem to work and then once Istop taking them my acne comes back with vengeance.

Been on the pill since 2017 then was adviced to come off for health reasons (bare in my mind was skin was so clear) but omg once I stopped taking the pill my acne has never been so sore and uncomfortable! Id describe my acne to be like hormonal cystic and mainly whiteheads. Eventually gave up with the constant hurtful breakoutsand was put back on the pill after revisiting my doctor but 2 months later and it seems my skin is just getting worse!

Everyday new spots appear and they just hurt so much I struggle to talk some days if they are large cystic under the skin kinda spots. Im really struggling on where to go from here with my skin as Ive tried several different skincare routines, changed my diet several times and cut out all dairy or any triggering food! I l cant even look at myself in the mirror some days, Id honestly do anything for clear skin right now..

I come across a post about accutane and Ive always heard such great things about the medication but never thought Idsee the day Id need it! Im just so lost and scared of the whole process about going to a dermatologist with the blood tests, monthly check ups and I struggle swallowing my small contraceptive pill anyways! Would I need a GP referral? How long would I be on it for? Are the side effects common? Any advice would be appreciated!

MemberMember
(@akos)

Posted : 12/10/2019 6:30 pm

Dont let desperation cloud your judgment. Desperation and lack of knowledge usually take a part in the decision oftaking Accutane.

There is not such a thing as possible side effects. The Accutane treatment is a controlled intoxication and always carries side effects.

Accutane is just a molecule which is found naturally in the body. The treatment consists in taking this molecule in high, enormous quantities, so as to reach a high concentration of it in blood and tissues. Some of this toxic dose of this substance goes to the sebaceous glands, inhibiting the production of sebum. And a lot more goes to other places of the body, mainly glands, mucous membranes, and certain tissues, including the brain.

That is why you not only feel your skin dry, but also your mouth is dry, and probably your eyes too (and the eyes and the tears which keep them healthy are very delicate, d'you know?). You feel weak, tired, your muscles or back could hurt or strain much easily. You also could have negative thoughts, especially if you are already depressed. Etc.

When you stop taking the drug, this substance is eliminated on the next days or weeks. But if, during the treatment, you reach certain concentration of isotretinoin for a certain time, the tissues or glands reached by it could change its cell structure. Not only the sebaceous glands, which are shrunk, but also other parts of your body. It is not clear if this is because sediments of Accutane still remains in the tissues, or because it just changes the cell organization by means of apoptosis or other chemical processes. Most probably it is about the latter.

Of course, the bigger the concentration of Accutane, and the longer the treatment, the bigger the permanent effects in the body.

So, in a nutshell if you dont take too much Accutane, its effects are temporal, in theory. But if you reach a certain concentration of the drug for a certain period of time (and this is the purpose of a regular treatment), you are going to get permanent/long term results. And these effects could affect the sebaceous glands and also other parts of your body (and you cant control where Accutane does its work).

In the latter described scenario, in my opinion, you always make transformations in other parts of your body apart from the sebaceous glands. The differences between cases are in how much these parts are affected, and how much the patient notices them. Changes could remain unnoticed, because they dont translate into symptoms that bother you, or because you just dont notice them and you dont test them (for example, how do you know if Accutane reduces the availability of certain hormone if you dont look for it in a test, and you compare it with a previous test? and even if you do this it is difficult to determine; or how do you know about subtle changes in certain tissues?)

Of course, my advice is not to follow the Accutane treatment for acne. I took Accutane and I have experience with acne.

Have you ever thought about the possibility that your depression, obsession or nervousness is as much a cause as a consequence of your acne? (in the presence of an oily skin which has a tendency to produce acne lesions, of course).

MemberMember
(@bellasmith11)

Posted : 02/03/2020 11:25 am

On 12/10/2019 at 11:30 PM, Akos said:

Dont let desperation cloud your judgment. Desperation and lack of knowledge usually take a part in the decision oftaking Accutane.

There is not such a thing as possible side effects. The Accutane treatment is a controlled intoxication and always carries side effects.

Accutane is just a molecule which is found naturally in the body. The treatment consists in taking this molecule in high, enormous quantities, so as to reach a high concentration of it in blood and tissues. Some of this toxic dose of this substance goes to the sebaceous glands, inhibiting the production of sebum. And a lot more goes to other places of the body, mainly glands, mucous membranes, and certain tissues, including the brain.

That is why you not only feel your skin dry, but also your mouth is dry, and probably your eyes too (and the eyes and the tears which keep them healthy are very delicate, d'you know?). You feel weak, tired, your muscles or back could hurt or strain much easily. You also could have negative thoughts, especially if you are already depressed. Etc.

When you stop taking the drug, this substance is eliminated on the next days or weeks. But if, during the treatment, you reach certain concentration of isotretinoin for a certain time, the tissues or glands reached by it could change its cell structure. Not only the sebaceous glands, which are shrunk, but also other parts of your body. It is not clear if this is because sediments of Accutane still remains in the tissues, or because it just changes the cell organization by means of apoptosis or other chemical processes. Most probably it is about the latter.

Of course, the bigger the concentration of Accutane, and the longer the treatment, the bigger the permanent effects in the body.

So, in a nutshell if you dont take too much Accutane, its effects are temporal, in theory. But if you reach a certain concentration of the drug for a certain period of time (and this is the purpose of a regular treatment), you are going to get permanent/long term results. And these effects could affect the sebaceous glands and also other parts of your body (and you cant control where Accutane does its work).

In the latter described scenario, in my opinion, you always make transformations in other parts of your body apart from the sebaceous glands. The differences between cases are in how much these parts are affected, and how much the patient notices them. Changes could remain unnoticed, because they dont translate into symptoms that bother you, or because you just dont notice them and you dont test them (for example, how do you know if Accutane reduces the availability of certain hormone if you dont look for it in a test, and you compare it with a previous test? and even if you do this it is difficult to determine; or how do you know about subtle changes in certain tissues?)

Of course, my advice is not to follow the Accutane treatment for acne. I took Accutane and I have experience with acne.

Have you ever thought about the possibility that your depression, obsession or nervousness is as much a cause as a consequence of your acne? (in the presence of an oily skin which has a tendency to produce acne lesions, of course).

Hey! Thanks for your reply, i do appreciate it however I have never been depressed and have never had any such thoughts like that. Im not too sure what you mean by obsession or nervousness too? If your thinking im obsessed with my skin.. who wouldnt want to get rid of their acne and have clear skin? And nervousness? Ovbiously im insecure when my face is covered in acne and im not generally an insecure person so i know its my acne making me insecure at the moment. Im still the same person, not less happier - just struggling to clear my skin.

My acne is just acne,i know its not caused by my happiness/sadness or lifestyle, its obviously hormonal or just in my system and isnt curable!

On 12/10/2019 at 11:30 PM, Akos said:

Did accutane clear your skin? im just curious as i dont know how you get prescribed it or go about getting it.

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 02/04/2020 6:34 pm

Hello

You always get a two sided opinion when it comes to Accutane or any medication for that matter. You'll probably find the ones who post on here are against Accutane because it either didn't work for them or left them with side effects. You don't hear too many good reviews on here about Accutane as majority of people who have taken it don't have any big issues with acne anymore and therefore don't come on here to post.

I took Accutane a couple of years ago and while it didn't stop me breaking out completely it cleared my skin about 80-90% from what it was which is considered a success. I'm just roaming on here to see if anyone finds some sort of Eureka cure to clear my skin that other 10%.

There's loads of blogs and posts on here which will indicate all the side effects. Although I disagree with how much negative attention it gets on here, it is true the drug is no joke.

The most common side effect is dryness... Literally everywhere. It left me feeling tired now and again, and the occasional sore muscles after the gym or sports. But apart from that it was a smooth enough journey (apart from the initial breakout which wasn't fun). You need to have an end goal in sight and be prepared to have some skin ups and downs on the way.

It could take 2 weeks to clear your skin or 6 months... and then miraculously 2 or 3 days later your acne either stops or slows down A LOT.

If your in GB then you need to go to a private dermatologist, they will assess your acne and advise accordingly on the severity. If Accutane is being suggested you will get bloods taken to ensure of no imbalances etc. And your pills are likely to start about a week later.

If your in the US I'm sure someone on here can advise on the process.

Any questions just ask.

MemberMember
(@akos)

Posted : 02/05/2020 6:18 pm

@Bellasmith11

Hi, Im sorry. My post was originally directed to other person in this thread https://www.acne.org/forums/topic/385242-advice-would-be-so-helpful-accutane/

As I then saw your message, and as you were also considering Accutane, I just copied & pasted the same text. I just forgot to delete the last paragraph, which talks specifically about the case of the other poster. I am sorry about the confusion.

Acne is generally a highly psychosomatic issue. And when this is the case, I dont think that it is about being happy or sad. It is more about tension, nervousness, how you distribute your energy, and how much you think about your acne and worry about it. I described this scenario more in this post:

https://www.acne.org/forums/topic/385200-accutane-journey-round-3-37male-20mg/#comment-3625522

How do you know your acne is hormonal? Did a doctor tell you that? Because you said you have always had acne. And I thought that hormonal acne is when for example a woman who never had acne in her teens, begins to have acne in her mid-20s or 30s because of hormonal imbalances.

And if yours is hormonal, how do you think Accutane is going to help? Inhibiting your glands permanently maybe? What glands?

Whatever the cause of your acne is, I just told you how I think Accutane works (not the biologic details, because nobody knows that, but the general picture). And why I dont recommend it.

If you are willing to poison yourself with a treatment also used for cancer, you must have a very good reason to do it, dont you?

@jPablo Hi, did your sebum level return to normal after taking Accutane? Did you have a very oily skin?

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 02/06/2020 4:47 pm

@Akos hello, my skin was oily/very oily at times. I would now say my skin is at a 'normal' level/oily on the occasional day.